Mower Lift

Rip

Threads
What's a quick, cheap and easy way to lift a lawn tractor to work on the underside? I know I should be pulling the deck for belt, deck and blade problems, but I'd like to be able to work underneath my mower safely without ruining my back.

Thanks, Rip

Bruce Mowbray

Threads
Two ways I do it.

1)A winch attached to a strong ceiling beam and a safety hook that I attach to the front of my tractor. This raises it up really high but it's a little wobbly.

2)A set of ramps that I drive the mower up on to. These are about 2 feet high and 4 feet long. I use these to rinse the mower deck off every time I mow.

Bruce Mowbray
Springville, PA

jspwrplc

Threads
I use mojacks. They work well and are lightweight and easy to store.

Rickstir

Forum Newbie
Threads
I re-enforced the bottom of a roof truss with another 2 x 6. Then put a block under both borads on the 4 x 6 post and lag bolted that in securely. Then constructed a box at the opposite end that i could fit the end of a 4 x 4 post into. I drilled holes all the way through the box and post so I can insert a bolt and nut. That post rests firmly on the floor of the shop. This arrangement supports the load really well. I bought a 1 ton chain hoist and with a nylon tow harness around the front axel I can lift up the front end as far as I need to.

ncredleg

Threads
This sounds silly, but , I have a frame from a yard swing that I put casters on. I use it with a small come-along to lift the mower. It has yet to feel tippy.

jimbo64

Threads
What's a quick, cheap and easy way to lift a lawn tractor to work on the underside? I know I should be pulling the deck for belt, deck and blade problems, but I'd like to be able to work underneath my mower safely without ruining my back.

Thanks, Rip

i just run it up my pickup loading ramps until its close to the truck bed. set tractor brake and shut off=allows easy access for me but be careful:thumbsup:

carverhill

Forum Newbie
Threads
This sounds a little crazy I guess but it works great. I have a about a 10' X 5' trailer I use with my mule. I'll run the mower up on that trailer then back it up to my other trailer. Then I roll the back wheels off on the big trailer, set the brake and block the wheels well. Slowly pull forward keeping a good eye on the lawnmower on the small trailer. When the front wheels get close to the rear stop and block the front wheels too for safety. Again make sure the wheels are blocked and the brake is set. Also, make sure you're on level ground. I've even used benches and outdoor chairs for the rear wheels but it just didn't seem safe to me. You could even use a truck bed I guess. I've used hammers, cheater bars and everything else you can imagine with no problems. Just keep your eye on the wheels and make sure they stay blocked.

Rip

Threads
Thanks for some good ideas for some very innovative ways to prop up a mower.

Where there's a will there's a way.....:thumbsup:

Rip

Threads
This sounds a little crazy I guess but it works great. I have a about a 10' X 5' trailer I use with my mule. I'll run the mower up on that trailer then back it up to my other trailer. Then I roll the back wheels off on the big trailer, set the brake and block the wheels well. Slowly pull forward keeping a good eye on the lawnmower on the small trailer. When the front wheels get close to the rear stop and block the front wheels too for safety. Again make sure the wheels are blocked and the brake is set. Also, make sure you're on level ground. I've even used benches and outdoor chairs for the rear wheels but it just didn't seem safe to me. You could even use a truck bed I guess. I've used hammers, cheater bars and everything else you can imagine with no problems. Just keep your eye on the wheels and make sure they stay blocked.

Kewl :thumbsup: