Riding Mower MTD Yard Machines 13.5hp has seized up?

mickymower

Forum Newbie
Threads
I got my riding mower out after the winter, it took a while to start as the battery was flat. I got it to work and mowed for 1/2 hour. I stopped the mower and 2 minutes later tried turning it back on but it wouldn't start. The motor was making lots of banging noises when I tried to start it. Eventually it made a big bang then the battery went flat again. I tried pushing the mower in neutral but it wouldn't move until a neighbor shoved it backwards and forwards and it started to push again. What could be wrong with it and how do I fix it? I hadn't put any oil in it for a while even though its only had 20 hours of running from new.

I didn't check the oil, I just put non-ethanol fuel in and off I went ( i never read the label that says check oil every 5 hours of use until now). I have put some oil in now, SAE 30. I think I screwed my weed whacker up last year by not putting any oil in that either.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I got my riding mower out after the winter, it took a while to start as the battery was flat. I got it to work and mowed for 1/2 hour. I stopped the mower and 2 minutes later tried turning it back on but it wouldn't start. The motor was making lots of banging noises when I tried to start it. Eventually it made a big bang then the battery went flat again. I tried pushing the mower in neutral but it wouldn't move until a neighbor shoved it backwards and forwards and it started to push again. What could be wrong with it and how do I fix it? I hadn't put any oil in it for a while even though its only had 20 hours of running from new.

I didn't check the oil, I just put non-ethanol fuel in and off I went ( i never read the label that says check oil every 5 hours of use until now). I have put some oil in now, SAE 30. I think I screwed my weed whacker up last year by not putting any oil in that either.

First thing ALWAYS CHECK THE OIL BEFORE YOU USE YOUR MOWER

You added oil so it must have been low all the banging it is doing is the engines way of say I NEEDED OIL THANK YOU FOR KILLING ME.

(( racing is the only sport that you need two balls ))

DaveTN

Threads
Sometimes you can get an engine to free up by putting some lubricating liquid in the cylinder and let it sit overnight. Gradually try and bump the engine forwards and backwards by hand or wrench on the pulley bolt below and see if you can move it just a little. Then try the other direction. Don't try to start it up with the lubricant (about a 1/2 cup) in it. Take the plug out first and see if you can turn the engine by hand. Sometimes I've had to tap gently on the top of the piston with a wood rod that will fit through the spark plug hole, while trying to turn it at the same time. Might need an assistant but I've done it by myself. That tapping will sometimes, but not always, loosen the piston again. You may get some more service out of it.

possum

Threads
For all you know so far nothing is wrong with it or maybe alot. Do some checking on your own and then come back on here and ask for advice. Check the oil and see if its overfull or underfull. Check the battery to see if it is still good or needs replaced. Check to make sure no wires are off or disconnected. No one can figure out your lawnmower with so little information.

mickymower

Forum Newbie
Threads
Okay right now I have unbolted the hood and taken the spark plug out and sprayed WD40 inside the sparkplug hole and now I'm going to rock the mower backwards and forwards, then put the sparkplug back in. Then put starter leads on the car battery and mower battery and try to get it started.

mickymower

Forum Newbie
Threads
For all you know so far nothing is wrong with it or maybe alot. Do some checking on your own and then come back on here and ask for advice. Check the oil and see if its overfull or underfull. Check the battery to see if it is still good or needs replaced. Check to make sure no wires are off or disconnected. No one can figure out your lawnmower with so little information.

I have added oil, the wires look good, this mower is only a year old and still looks in mint condition. I believe the battery went flat because it was sat through the winter under a shed roof. I'm going to have another try. My neighbor seems to think that the engine could have welded together.

mickymower

Forum Newbie
Threads
Okay right now I have unbolted the hood and taken the spark plug out and sprayed WD40 inside the sparkplug hole and now I'm going to rock the mower backwards and forwards, then put the sparkplug back in. Then put starter leads on the car battery and mower battery and try to get it started.

I tried it but all I got was a clicking noise from around the battery every time I turned the key.

Should I rock the mower in gear or neutral, I rocked it in neutral?