riding mower has six gears but speed doesnt change

heathcom

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / riding mower has six gears but speed doesnt change
I have an mtd yard machine 14.5 hp, under seat is model 13am667f352, on motor is 287707 type 0224-01. Runs great and all the linkage appears to be connected. Theres no difference from first to sixth, the shifter is free floating after first. Im a fairly good mechanical person but with riding mowers i have no clue. It seems that the gear should make the pulley go back further but because of all the linkage and where everything is put together it cant. Not sure if its the belt or the pulley or linkage adjustment. What are some basic things that I can look at for this issue?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The tranny on a MTD is not really a multispeed transmission it is actually a one gear forward, reverse transaxle. MTD uses a two belt drive with a variable pulley in between the belts. That middle slide part of the variable pulley is stuck, and not allowing it to move to increase speed.

heathcom

Forum Newbie
Threads
The tranny on a MTD is not really a multispeed transmission it is actually a one gear forward, reverse transaxle. MTD uses a two belt drive with a variable pulley in between the belts. That middle slide part of the variable pulley is stuck, and not allowing it to move to increase speed.

Thanks for the info, I'll take a closer look at the middle pulley. From what I remember, when the clutch/brake is not pressed down, the pulley goes back towards the rear pulley but it didnt look like it could go back further. I got it from a used mower guy so who knows what kind of tinkering has gone on.

heathcom

Forum Newbie
Threads
It looks like when the clutch/brake is not pressed down, the middle pulley goes back but cant go back any further due to the belt going to the engine pulley. IMAG0197.jpg a pic of the assembly. Do I need a different belt to allow the pulley to go back further?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Between the belts on that pulley is a sliding piece. if that piece is stuck it will not change speeds. From the picture it looks like it is about all the way forward. It should move back about 4 inches when it is in 6th speed. the botton belt should go to the engine and the top to the tranny. when in 6th speed, the position of the top belt will look like the bottom belt is now, and the bottom belt will look like the top belt, as far as position in the variable pulley.

heathcom

Forum Newbie
Threads
The middle pulley does slide towards the engine when the clutch/brake is pressed down. The pulley is one piece with two belts. I can see that it should slide back further but all the belts and linkage prevent it from doing so. The shifter is free floating, it doesnt "push" the linkage in any way. The groove allows the shifter to slide up and down, the clutch pedal seems to control how far the shifter can go, once it hits that certain point, the shifter does nothing. With everything in the way of seeing how it all works, makes it difficult for adjustments.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Look at the pulley that both belts attach to in your picture. Between the two belts is a metal separater. that separater should move up and down to change the ratio of the belt drive. If that doesn't move up and down within the variable pulley, the speed will not change.

heathcom

Forum Newbie
Threads
Look at the pulley that both belts attach to in your picture. Between the two belts is a metal separater. that separater should move up and down to change the ratio of the belt drive. If that doesn't move up and down within the variable pulley, the speed will not change.

I talked to a local mtd dealer and this model has some kind of auto adjustment to the gears by putting it in neutral, in 6th gear and letting out the clutch. This re-aligns everything. I should have read the sticker on the inside of the hood that explains it. But im glad i didnt have to mess with the belts and pulleys and linkage and pulling my hair out...

Cvickers

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a yard machine model #13an771g729 does it have the same seperator between the 2 belts and if so how do you fix it so it will move up and down and change gears?

barefootmower

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a yard machine model #13an771g729 does it have the same seperator between the 2 belts and if so how do you fix it so it will move up and down and change gears?
I oiled the heck out of mine and it helped some. I, too, would like to know how to free it up all the way. I can pull the pedal out with my hand and get all 6 speeds, but it won't stay out long and goes back to turtle speed.
i'm wondering if a new clutch spring would cure the ill. I would like to spend my time on something else at this point.