How to get rid of dandelions

Zeroturn

Threads
Our yard is getting to be a mess! We have pesky dandelions and mushrooms popping up everywhere. How can we get rid of them for good. I don't want to have to mow them down to get rid of them because they just pop right back up.

danny57

Threads
If your yard is really overgrown with these pesky weeds I would suggest that you hire Tru Green or other such company to come in and treat your entire yard. After the bulk of the weeks are eliminated than purchase a 1 or 2 gallon hand sprayer and some Ortho Weed Be Gone and make regular trips around your yard and spray each weed individually. I do this on a weekly basis and have managed to keep them out of my 1 acre yard. Its time consuming and must me done consistantly. If your neighbor has them than you will also have the problem. I begin my routine in the springs and do it all summer and into the fall. You will find it easier as you delete the things and will enjoy the satisfaction of a weed free yard.

indypower

Threads
Just pick them and make yourself spme dandelion wine. :laughing:

Eugene Onegin

Forum Newbie
Threads
I took the expensive route and let True Green take care of it .

David

Forum Newbie
Threads
Fall is the best time to work on dandelions as they are small plants waiting for spring, I would never have tru green spray anything thing on my lawn with all the chemicals they use the enzeyms in the soil that break down the clippings will die and then you are stuck with the awful job of thatch removal.
If you already have this problem use Milorganite activated sewage sluge will put the enzymes back in the soil.
What I do not understand is the big thing aboutg dandelions they only seem to show up for a few weeks in the spring I can live with that my problem is creeping charlie never seem to get rid of it.
Also spot spraying is the best way to get rid of weeds never just spray the whole yard with weed killer it might not kill the grass but it's not good for your lawn.
Fall is the best time to get your lawn in shape for spring planting seed and feed if you wait to put seed down in the spring remember soil must warm to 70 degrees for seed to germinate.

Zeroturn

Threads
I don't want anyone to come and spray the whole yard. I can't imagine what types of animals come on the yard throughout the day or night (I live in the country). I would not want to hurt them, just get rid of the dandelions.

monica123

Threads
There is always harvesting them and selling them roadside to fund their removal. In some circles dandelion greens are a delicacy. They taste great steamed as well as fresh in salads. Perhaps you could list on craigslist and see if someone is interested in coming to remove them for you for food.

Tillie

Threads
Monica123 is right. Since you live in the country I bet you can find someone who needs those dandelions for teas. They're an excellent diuretic.