Craftsman Mower Model# 917.273135

jimsworkbench

Forum Newbie
Threads
When I jump start from the battery to starter, mower starts. I have 12v of battery at solenoid terminal from battery. Nothing on other side of solenoid terminal. Screwdriver across solenoid terminals do not cause spark or mower to start. Changed solenoid, same results. Any help would be appreciated.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
WELCOME to LawnWorld...

From your description, there was no aparent reason to replace the starter solenoid... that acts like a switch & all it is doing is the same as you did with shorting across the large terminals with the screwdrivers...
The fact that the starter will operate when jumped directly from the battery to the starter indicates that Both of those are okay.
The Only thing left is the Positive battery cable, you have corrosion on one end or the other, you have 12 volts to the solenoid Until you short across it, then the resistance at the corrosion will not allow enough current. The ground cable 'May" also need cleandd up.... :smile:KennyV

Threads
WELCOME to LawnWorld...

From your description, there was no aparent reason to replace the starter solenoid... that acts like a switch & all it is doing is the same as you did with shorting across the large terminals with the screwdrivers...
The fact that the starter will operate when jumped directly from the battery to the starter indicates that Both of those are okay.
The Only thing left is the Positive battery cable, you have corrosion on one end or the other, you have 12 volts to the solenoid Until you short across it, then the resistance at the corrosion will not allow enough current. The ground cable 'May" also need cleandd up.... :smile:KennyV

Yep cable issues, or a blown ignition fuse.

jimsworkbench

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yep cable issues, or a blown ignition fuse.

KennyV you were right on. I check and cleaned all contacts EXCEPT for the ground cable under the seat. Loose connection. Thank you KennyV and everyone else who posted a thread.

Threads
Way to go KennyV good call.:thumbsup: