Choosing Between Two Honda Models

rewom

Threads
Bermuda cutting height: A well known landscape expert was in the paper saying scalp at 2", mow at 2.5" or a bit more. Going to his website, he has lower heights: 1.5"/2.0" inches!

I used a reel mower for 2-3 seasons. I cut it lower, but did not get any benefit except in one part of the yard. We have bad dirt (more rock than dirt when I replace a sprinkler head), and shade in a lot of the yard despite keeping the trees well trimmed. The bermuda in our yard and a few neighbors in a row never looks as nice as some others. When you compare grasses, I think we have a different bermuda, and we all probably have the bad dirt as the lots were graded at the same time. Several have replaced the grass with St Augustine, but it struggles as well so I lean to the dirt being the issue.

This would be a great time to try lower, but I will not be able to mow for a few weeks (travel) and it may be high by then so going lower would not be good.

BTW, I really liked using a reel mower (Scott's). It kicks up no dust or anything. I have to wear a respirator when I mow, but nothing using the reel mower. If I can, I will use the Honda some and the reel mower some. Reel mowers are not too good at edges and you cannot let the grass/weeds get too long or it will not cut.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Bermuda loves full sun. It will get real thin or die off if it does not get full sun for most of the day.

Bermuda grows best in sand but will grow with any soil. If you lay a strip of Bermuda sod on your driveway it will live and grow as long as you water it.

Bermuda is not grass it is a weed that people started using as grass many years ago because it grows like crazy and will fill in bald spots because it is a vine that's why it takes over sidewalks.

This is all on the test you take to become a golf pro

(( racing is the only sport that you need two balls ))

rewom

Threads
No doubt lots of sun is best. Here we have two grasses/weeds: Bermuda and St Augustine. Back when I looked, the sun difference is about 2 hours per day. I have yet to see one of my neighbors put in St Augustine where bermuda would not grow and be successful for more than a year or two, unless they cut a tree down (or lightning took it down), or trimmed it into a light pole - and bermuda would have worked in both cases.

I just put mulch in the areas around the tree trunk where grass will not grow, and have my trees trimmed by an arborist regularly.

I probably should aerate. I have a service that does a great job wih fertilizer and weed control. I have thought about laying down some sand as well to improve the soil. If you have any thoughts, I am all ears. It is not that my grass is bad, it is just not good. I have briefly looked into some low sun ground cover to take the place of my entire yard - some you mow just like grass. Doubt the homeowners association would go along...

Threads
Thanks for that. I was on my way to get my new Honda the other day and was passing a Tractor Supply store. So I stopped and went in. I saw the Cub Cadet with the front caster wheels. Now I'm torn between the two. I do think that the caster wheels would work best for my property. This is why I have not posted any pics yet. Arrrgggg! Lol!

I would just get the Honda. A lot of the mowers with caster wheels are heavier than others, so that could be a disadvantage even if it does have those wheels. I mow yards that have tons of landscaping and my Honda works great. :thumbsup:

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
No doubt lots of sun is best. Here we have two grasses/weeds: Bermuda and St Augustine. Back when I looked, the sun difference is about 2 hours per day. I have yet to see one of my neighbors put in St Augustine where bermuda would not grow and be successful for more than a year or two, unless they cut a tree down (or lightning took it down), or trimmed it into a light pole - and bermuda would have worked in both cases.

I just put mulch in the areas around the tree trunk where grass will not grow, and have my trees trimmed by an arborist regularly.

I probably should aerate. I have a service that does a great job wih fertilizer and weed control. I have thought about laying down some sand as well to improve the soil. If you have any thoughts, I am all ears. It is not that my grass is bad, it is just not good. I have briefly looked into some low sun ground cover to take the place of my entire yard - some you mow just like grass. Doubt the homeowners association would go along...

It is best to top dress your yards every year or two with sand. Helps the soil and keeps your yard nice and smooth. No little dips or bumps

(( racing is the only sport that you need two balls ))