Choosing Between Two Honda Models

rewom

Threads
The old mower was a relative's poorly maintained backup mower. (And it had been to the shop to fix it up before I got it as well as the year before.) Hard to start, not great suction, hard to empty bag. Changing speeds was hit or miss. Cracked and broken deck. But it was free, so I used it for a season then gave it back. Might have been a Toro but I put it out of my mind.

This is the lawn funnel: Amazon.com: Corrugated Lawn Funnel, 2 piece kit, Kraft: Everything Else Less than $2 at Home Depot, and they are folded flat like a box. Not the most durable thing (buy a couple?), but helps considerably.

I have bermuda grass, and the first mowing of the year is at 2 inches, after that it is 2.5 or maybe 3.0. (I did not know the heights, but there was an article in the paper right after I mowed, and I had done it right at 2 inches. Guess I have mowed too much.)

stygz

Threads
When you say scalp do u mean cut the grass really short?

Many that want their Bermuda to look its best "scalp" their lawn the first cut in the spring. This does a few things. First it picks up all the debris. Second it helps get the sun on the ground to help speed spring green up. Most Bermuda grass should be cut and maintained about 1-2 inches depending on what type of Bermuda you have. The shorter you cut it the more frequent you have to mow. People that are really serious buy reel type mowers because they cut below 1" on hybrid types of Bermuda. And no it does not burn up in the hot summers like you would think. I mow about 1.5 times a week and water about every 4 days with last years heat and drought. Here is an overview of the Bermuda bible. I dont follow it to a T as I dont want to be a slave to the turf.

Texas Weed Bermuda Bible - Lawn Care Forum - GardenWeb

stygz

Threads
The old mower was a relative's poorly maintained backup mower. (And it had been to the shop to fix it up before I got it as well as the year before.) Hard to start, not great suction, hard to empty bag. Changing speeds was hit or miss. Cracked and broken deck. But it was free, so I used it for a season then gave it back. Might have been a Toro but I put it out of my mind.

This is the lawn funnel: Amazon.com: Corrugated Lawn Funnel, 2 piece kit, Kraft: Everything Else Less than $2 at Home Depot, and they are folded flat like a box. Not the most durable thing (buy a couple?), but helps considerably.

I have bermuda grass, and the first mowing of the year is at 2 inches, after that it is 2.5 or maybe 3.0. (I did not know the heights, but there was an article in the paper right after I mowed, and I had done it right at 2 inches. Guess I have mowed too much.)

Such a simple thing! I could have used that last night. I filled 13 of those Home Depot 30 gallon bags. I fill the bags and dump them. I fold and save the bags for the next time I need them. I cut at 1.5" and will maintain at 2.0 until I start to see those half moon crop circles. Than i move the deck up a notch. Depending on how level your ground is I think your HRX will go down to .75". I found my hybrid bermuda looks the best cut at 2.0. Less than 1" is for Golf courses IMO.

Bomba

Threads
Many that want their Bermuda to look its best "scalp" their lawn the first cut in the spring. This does a few things. First it picks up all the debris. Second it helps get the sun on the ground to help speed spring green up. Most Bermuda grass should be cut and maintained about 1-2 inches depending on what type of Bermuda you have. The shorter you cut it the more frequent you have to mow. People that are really serious buy reel type mowers because they cut below 1" on hybrid types of Bermuda. And no it does not burn up in the hot summers like you would think. I mow about 1.5 times a week and water about every 4 days with last years heat and drought. Here is an overview of the Bermuda bible. I dont follow it to a T as I dont want to be a slave to the turf.

Texas Weed Bermuda Bible - Lawn Care Forum - GardenWeb

How about Fescue? How low do I cut it?

Bomba

Threads
Yes...some people cut really short for the first mowing in the spring to get out all the stuff in the lawn from over winter (leaves, etc.). :smile:

Thanks for that. I was on my way to get my new Honda the other day and was passing a Tractor Supply store. So I stopped and went in. I saw the Cub Cadet with the front caster wheels. Now I'm torn between the two. I do think that the caster wheels would work best for my property. This is why I have not posted any pics yet. Arrrgggg! Lol!

stygz

Threads
Thanks for that. I was on my way to get my new Honda the other day and was passing a Tractor Supply store. So I stopped and went in. I saw the Cub Cadet with the front caster wheels. Now I'm torn between the two. I do think that the caster wheels would work best for my property. This is why I have not posted any pics yet. Arrrgggg! Lol!

I like the Honda's. Honda has a 1 year extra warranty kicker going on now. That would be 6 years on an HRX. I can see the caster wheels being nice if you got alot of landscaping.

The HRX is probably one of the most refined walk behind mowers out there. Next would be a Toro super recycler.....without going commercial IMO.

Bomba

Threads
I like the Honda's. Honda has a 1 year extra warranty kicker going on now. That would be 6 years on an HRX. I can see the caster wheels being nice if you got alot of landscaping.

The HRX is probably one of the most refined walk behind mowers out there. Next would be a Toro super recycler.....without going commercial IMO.

Hi. I am near Dalton. I've been told it is Fescue, I don't know a whole lot about that. I know it's been green for a while now. Yeah, the Hondas are the best I've been told by a lot of people. My property is peppered with trees, curves, fences, walkways, landscaping, monkey grass, shrubs etc etc. it's not kind where you would use the Honda to just mow back and forth in straight lines. I have my Exmark for that. But, the HRX is what I would prefer. Also, I will be mostly mulching. And my 15 year old will be helping with mowing this year so I think she will find it a lot easier with the front casters.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Fescue likes to be around 3 inches. With all the rain and cold we been having I would cut it down to 2 inches. As it get hotter if it ever does go up the 3 inches then in July when it 99 degrees and no rain let it grow up to around 4 or 5.

(( racing is the only sport that you need two balls ))

Bomba

Threads
Fescue likes to be around 3 inches. With all the rain and cold we been having I would cut it down to 2 inches. As it get hotter if it ever does go up the 3 inches then in July when it 99 degrees and no rain let it grow up to around 4 or 5.

(( racing is the only sport that you need two balls ))

Thank you CARS. I hope we get something that resembles Spring this year. For at least more than two weeks.