Engine Deere L100 Won't start

mhoff63

Forum Newbie
Threads
My John Deere rider will not start. Battery has a full charge. The starter is engaging the flywheel but will not turn the enginer. Tried repositioning the starter gear and flywheel. Starter gear still engages but will not turn the flywheel. I think it's the starter.

TheGardenMechanic

Forum Newbie
Threads
Are you sure the engine hasn't seized? Also check the condition of the started gear.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
My John Deere rider will not start. Battery has a full charge. The starter is engaging the flywheel but will not turn the enginer. Tried repositioning the starter gear and flywheel. Starter gear still engages but will not turn the flywheel. I think it's the starter.

Ok we know the engine is not locked up because you say you turned it. Lets start with the battery that you say has a full charge just for fun run some jumper cables from your truck battery to your mower battery and try to start the mower. If it spins over then your fully charged battery is junk. Report back with what happens please.

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
When you report back give us the engine numbers so we can give you specific things to work on. You what you are saying I suspect that your starter is good and you may have a valve problem.

Kodie's Lawn Service

Threads

Heres what you need to do go and move the spark plugs and see if it turns and if it does then your values need adjusted :thumbsup:
try this and tell me how it goes

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Heres what you need to do go and move the spark plugs and see if it turns and if it does then your values need adjusted :thumbsup:

Where do you want him to move the plugs to?

Sorry has to say it.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads

You meant to say remove and put move so I asked where do you want him to move them to.

Bob E

Threads
Man, I just spent this evening fighting the same problem with an old MTD rider I picked up last summer with a 12.5hp briggs L head 28T707 1154-E1.
<-----
Didn't get it to start. Got spark, fuel, I can spin the engine by hand. I adjusted the choke and throttle. The starter spins the engine real nice with the sparkplug pulled out. The battery has plenty of juice and yup I hooked the jumper cables up to the truck. I guess the mower did crank kind of slow in the summer too, but today when I decided to start it I just can't seem get it to spin fast enough to fire. The starter gets hung up on the compression stroke can't get more than a couple of revolutions at a time. I'm pretty sure I put valvoline max life 5w-30 in it when I got it because that's just what I use in the car/had on the shelf. It looks like new starter will cost almost as much as I paid for the whole mower:thumbdown:
I wonder if I could stick a pull cord on it?