Price of mowers vs Benefits

macky

Threads
Guys, mowers are expensive where I am. But if the benefits outweigh the cost, I see no reason for shrinking from the investment.

Our lawn may be not as big as yours. Mine is about 600 square feet. But even if I have twice of thrice that, I still find it hard to justify a motorized mower in the face of a much cheaper manual reel mower. Should I be compelled to get a rotating blade, I would most likely opt for wired electric mowers.

Maybe I'm*just missing something. Why do you choose motorized mowers?

173abn

Threads
Macky,elec. mower would'nt do the trick for me.I mow 2+ acres.I like that raw diesel power,it'll get me through grass,weeds and brush. russ

mois25

Threads
From what I have gathered, electric mowers tend to be cleaner and lighter than their diesel counterparts. I tend to agree with the last post, it would not be practical using and electric-powered mower for a 2-acre field.

Lucy

Threads
I have only a small area of grass to keep up like you, so I did not buy a power mower. I bought a manual reel mower for $80 and I love it! What do they say---choose the right tool for the job....?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Nothing wrong with a self powered push reel mower for smaller yards... as a kid I remember that is what everyone used... very rare to see a power mower then. :smile:KennyV

noma

Threads
Hi Lucy

Those reel mower are great, if they work for you and your schedule. You have to have time to mow when it needs to be mower. If you let it get to long it will be hard to mower because it will be to hard to push, when it's so long. So what i'm saying is you need to be able to mow when it needs mowed. And with a gas mower there is a little more room for time to mow. It can grow a inch or two longer, and weather can be a problem to.:thumbdown:

touree

Threads
That is true, the reel mowers are much economical. Taking a power for an acre or two does not look realistic at all. Choosing the right tool for the right job indeed!

bret

Threads
I think the electric or push movers with no engines are only practical on small parcels of land. I have better than 5 acres, I could not imagine mowing it without an engine and I don't have a cord long enough to mow all that land!

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
5 acres, I could not imagine mowing it without an engine and I don't have a cord long enough to mow all that land!

That's when you would get a BATTERY powered rider... they are out there today...
John Deere had them back in the 70's ... The JD Electric 90. Great machines and you could run them quite a long while before you needed to plug in for an over night charge... Today there are electric ZTR's... Batteries they work great... :smile:KennyV

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Guys, mowers are expensive where I am. But if the benefits outweigh the cost, I see no reason for shrinking from the investment.

Our lawn may be not as big as yours. Mine is about 600 square feet. But even if I have twice of thrice that, I still find it hard to justify a motorized mower in the face of a much cheaper manual reel mower. Should I be compelled to get a rotating blade, I would most likely opt for wired electric mowers.

Maybe I'm*just missing something. Why do you choose motorized mowers?

If all you have is 600sq.ft. of lawn go down and by one of those $80 push mowers from walmart with a 3.5hp Briggs and the thing will last you forever.Walmart.com: Weed Eater 500 Series Push Lawn Mower: Lawn & Garden Care