Leaves

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Noma you beat me to it! It was the worry about wet leaves and my mower that provoked my comment. I suppose that it is obvious looking back, as I wouldn't mow wet grass! Anyhow I found this interesting article about the benefits of mowing leaves. As the writer says, we are restricted by air pollution by laws and some areas won't let you throw away too much garden waste.

If I mow too large a stack of leaves at one time, wet or dry, they simply kill the engine. One of my pushers has undergone stalling that way 40 times, at least. Still runs fine.

AndyMan

Threads
We use leaf-collecting basket things with spinning brushes that throw the leaves into a canvas basket. One is pulled behind the mower, the other is pushed by kid-power. Our main purpose in collecting, rather than mowing, is that we have kids. They get the outdoor time, exercise and responsibility involved in collecting, plus the added fun of playing in the leaf pile when they are done. :wink: After all the playing, we spread the leaves over our garden to prepare it for the next year.

touree

Threads
Collecting would do the trick for me. I cannot picture mowing leaves,whether wet or dry. As kids, we spent so much time collecting them and you could read from our faces that we did not really like that.

lizard

Threads
Use a 'Rotary' lawn mower as this will vacuum and cut the lawn ,removing the leaves at the same time.
Just empty the catcher before it gets Full as your leaves may make a mess.

indypower

Threads
I plug in my mulching plug and mulch them with my Gator blades. Mulches them into fine mulch food for the lawn.

adan

Threads
Wouldn't it be great to let the leaves decompose where they are? Well, it's not aesthetically sound. But from a horticulture point of view, that's a very earth-friendly way of returning to the soil what has been taken.

lizard

Threads
Wouldn't it be great to let the leaves decompose where they are? Well, it's not aesthetically sound. But from a horticulture point of view, that's a very earth-friendly way of returning to the soil what has been taken.

Leaves will ruin some varieties of lawn and cause disease.......so it be to put them into a composter as this will solve a lot of problems and your lawn looks neat and tidy.:biggrin: