Husqvarna 6021 Push Mower Oil Blow By

Blackdog1

Forum Newbie
Threads
This push mower design throws a lot of cut grass and dust up on mower deck. It accumulates on deck and eventually gets pulled into air cleaner. Required air cleaner filter clean out and replacement frequency was way too high. Result dust thru carburetor and engine wear and oil blow by. Fixed problem with too much dust and grass being pulled into air filter by caulking gaps between deck and motor and at grass catcher hatch to deck but not before oil blow by had started. What happens if I use different / higher viscosity oil (straight 50 weight) to reduce blow by. Crankcase venteded into carbuetor gumming it up even tho dust intake problem solved. Cheap worn mower / motor on borowed time. Littl:smile::smile:e to lose at his point. Thanks for reading this novel to get to question.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
How have you diagnosed blow-by? What engine do you have? When you caulked between the engine and deck, you changed how the grass is being cut, especially if you are mulching. You no longer have the air flow under the deck needed to keep the grass in motion while mulching.

Blackdog1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Kohler Courage XT-6 XT149 -0311 engine has 5/16 " rubber tube from crankcase tied into air filter housing down stream of filter. Increasing oil appearance around this tubing connection to filter housing and oil streaking from this connection to caburetor air inlet. Disconnecting crankcase vent tube and letting oil fumes blow out on mower deck makes a mess on deck but motor runs smoother. Caulking gaps between deck and motor and deck and rear discharge to bag ( I don't use bag) didn't have noticable impact on quality of cut. I wish I had done this earlier. I'm saying this because I bet
others with dusty when dry yards and this mower have problem keeping air filter clean.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Willing to bet you have a blown head gasket.

MowerMike

Threads
Sounds like that engine has an emissions recirc tube that sends crankcase fumes back inside air filter for reburning in the engine. I have several motorcycles that do the same thing, and you just need to seal the air filter better against the carb inlet. It shouldn't affect how the engine runs.