$5500 budget 2.5 acres to mow. Which Zero Turn?

josh83

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am completely new to Zero Turn mowers but I really want one. I have husqvarna, bobcat, and scag dealers pretty close to the house. Im sure if I go there they will all tell me there product is the best but I want to hear from guys who know zero turns not a salesman. Which Brand/Model would you guys get for that budget. I am guessing a 48/52 inch deck would be fine for me.

josh83

Forum Newbie
Threads
The scag dealer has a 48in freedem Z for 5400. I get a small discount through my employer too but not sure how much yet. That was the only dealer I have visited so far.

josh83

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yeah I liked it a lot! Only thing I wasnt sure about is that model has no grease points. I grease heavy equipment for a living so naturally I feel the need to grease moving parts lol. Its prob not an issue with sealed bearings though.

scott47429

Threads
i would go with the scag also if you like it there a great mower ZTRs are alot of fun to use i love mine and can't wait to mow but its been so hot and dry i haven't had much of a chance also keep in mind alot of the dealers out there will let you try them before you buy one so ask

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I am completely new to Zero Turn mowers but I really want one. I have husqvarna, bobcat, and scag dealers pretty close to the house. Im sure if I go there they will all tell me there product is the best but I want to hear from guys who know zero turns not a salesman. Which Brand/Model would you guys get for that budget. I am guessing a 48/52 inch deck would be fine for me.

Out of the three mentioned I'd have to agree with lawn mower fanatic and go with the Scag and make sure it had the Kawasaki Engine. Have you checked on Toro or Cub Cadet. You should try to demo what ever you buy unless you really know your dealer. Also see if the dealer has any last years models hanging around, sometimes you can come out with a lot more mower for less money.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I'm supposed to recommend looking at Toro and Ric should disagree with me. I'm about to have the big one, wife is calling EMS right now. I'll say it, take a look at Toro.

lhjones

Forum Newbie
Threads
As an OPE Dealer (with no skin in this game) ask your local dealers what they recommend (we do this for a living, ya know). Then compare the product specs and prices to determine the best product & price combo for you. You'll get perfectly fine product out of the three choices you listed.

There are exceptions but generally, you get what you pay for. More steel & better components logically = more money. Compare deck gauges, transaxles (this is a big one - what series is in each of the mowers?? - hardly anyone ever asks us that (so we tell them) but it's THE critical drive component in your zero), engines, warranties, etc....

The relationship you have with the local dealer you buy it from is important. If you get the heebie-jeebies every time you walk into the dealership you might consider a different dealer. A good dealer can be the difference between a good buy and a bad buy.

Good luck and enjoy your new zero!

LH Jones

65th Anniversary 1946-2011

L.H. Jones Equipment Co.
1825 Earl L. Core Road
Morgantown, WV 26505
Phone: 304-292-1307
Toll Free: 888-292-1305
Fax: 304-292-6641
Web: Compact Tractors, Mowers, Outdoor Power Equipment, Snow Plows, Salt Spreaders | LH Jones Equipment
Email: len@lhjones.com
LH Jones Equipment - Outdoor Equipment Store - Morgantown, WV | Facebook
twitter: @lhjonesequip