Swapping from Briggs 21hp vtwin ELS to Kohler 26hp vtwin

Gimpin

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Swapping from Briggs 21hp vtwin ELS to Kohler 26hp vtwin
I recently bought a husqvarna yth2148 ... after I bought it it started blowing blue smoke out of the crank vent tube (I am assuming it is head gasket). But a friend of mine has a Craftsman mower with a 26hp kohler with a bad hydro and rough body. I am wondering how much is involved with swapping the briggs with the kohler?

both have elec pto

txzrider

Threads
I am sure someone who does this for a living will come along and comment... but the 1st thing I was told to check on when I thought about repowering was the end of the crakshaft where the pullies are attached to make sure the dimensions were correct. Almost everything else is easily fixable.

Gimpin

Forum Newbie
Threads
assuming that the shaft length is the same or similar and the pulley diameter is the same or similar I will keep the pulleys that are already on the Kohler

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Going to have to check the mounting holes to see if they match. Also, are the engine controls on the same side. Third, would be the muffler, can it be mount after you bolt the engine down. If you say yes to these three and the pulleys are the same go for it, but normally one or two things won't work.

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
I would have thought it would be easier just repairing the Briggs!!??

Gimpin

Forum Newbie
Threads
the kohler is free :smile: but yes it might come down to replacing the headgaskets is easier

I havent had the to mowers side by side yet so I will check all the things mentioned when I get to that point.

neohornet

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am also having a problem with my 21hp v-twin B&S Intek motor, bad camshaft only running on one cylinder. I would love to know how this ends for you because I am wanting to do the same thing. I know if I swap mine out with the same line of motor I currently have, with the same shaft length, it should be fine. Although I am want to maybe upgrade horsepower and possibly motor brand. Keep us posted.

Def-Ed

Threads
I'm rebuilding a GT/kohler with my (upgraded) 26hp els.
I haven't checked pullies yet,mainly because I have all parts from both-but I plan to just swap my briggs right over or if necessary the motor mount plate just unbolts from the frame.
The exhaust is slightly different,but the muffler mounts in the same place.
I've read the seat switch is different,so keep that in mind and swap over yours.
Other than that,the kohler and brigs was available as options in most of the craftsman mowers.
The ignition switch is same with same plug,wiring harnesses look different but from what I have looked at the connectors are the same.

It should be as easy as yanking the kohler and wiring harness/pullies and bolting up.
If the mount plate needs changed,then like I said-4 bolts.

Remember,they're built on an assembly line. They get to a point where the engine is dropped in and they grab one or the other off the shelf.

If you have any specific questions post up,as I have the GT/Kohler torn apart and the DYT in front of the shop (mowing till GT is ready).
I'll help with what I can.

I'm expecting the actual motor swap from DYT to GT when ready to take about an hour,same as the original briggs 24hp-26hp swap took.

Def-Ed

Threads
I would have thought it would be easier just repairing the Briggs!!??

The briggs is an overhead valve engine,so actual time to replace head gasket and reset clearances are probrably about same as it would be to swap i'm betting.

I personally would do the swap.

I would assume blue smoke from vent would be rings though.
ELS engines had an issue with dirt ingestion through air filter from what i've read.
My original engine had that issue and wiped out both rods,hence the upgrade.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Don't assume that just because the wiring harness and plugs look the same that the wires are going to hook up to the same parts. If you think that during assembly they just grab the closest Briggs or Kohler and drop it in, you're wrong. This will get you in trouble quick. Swapping engines can be done, but it is not as easy as the last poster makes it sound.