1971 Snapper V21XPS needs attention

Threads
I don't know much about it, and I actually got the 1971 year number off the engine so I'm really not sure if the engine is the original or not. It has the strangest self propel drive I've ever seen. All the walk behind power drive models I've ever seen just had either a red or a black rubber knob at the top of the handle. (I guess the red knob was before 1980 and black knob with the lettering was after 1980?) the one I'm working on now has an odd power drive with a lever with reverse on it.the paint is almost been totally stripped, but thats the least of my problems...

Attachments

• DSCF3259 (2).jpg
    DSCF3259 (2).jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 57

Snapperfreak

Threads
I have a 1973 model V210P that looks very similar to yours but has the small red folding lever for the drive system (like the other snapper in your picture) but it's on the left side of the handle instead of the right side. I think 1974 or '75 it switched to permanently to the right side. And even though mine doesn't have the lever for the drive as yours does, the drive system down on the deck is a little stranger than my newer snappers (newer as in early and mid '80s). Mine has a nuetral setting though.

So what did u need help with? I'm no expert but maybe I could help.

And welcome to the forum!:smile:

Briana

Lawn Addict
Threads
Welcome to LawnMowerForum!

I moved your thread to the Snapper Forum. :smile:

Threads
the piston cylinder is scored real bad and needs honed(however, I do have a few old engine blocks that are still good I could use I guess). I would like to just replace the old Briggs with another old "L head" 3.5-4hp that I could make it look as close to as original as possible. I might should get those pulleys and see if I can get them spinning and loosened up first. I wish I could find a nice replacement side chute too.