engine seized - freed up but now won't start - Toro

mrsmileyns

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi. I have a Toro personal pace 22" mower - 5 years old. It had been great until I messed up and didn't realize oil was low and the engine seized. I was not able to pull the starter cord at all. I put in about half a quart of oil. I picked up the mower and pushed the blades and was able to get them to move easily and now the cord will pull. So I assume the piston is freed up. But now it won't start.

I am trying to determine if it is worth it to try and get this working. I don't want to invest any money and then have it die as a new one is only about $350. I am trying to check for spark but I can't see the spark plug while I pull the cord.

Any help on deciding what I can do or if it is worth it to do expend any effort or money would be appreciated. The fact that the piston seemed to free so easily is what is making me think the problem was not as bad as I had thought...but I am far from an expert here.

Thanks,

Neil

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Take the spark plug out and pull the engine over about a dozen times. Put the plug back in. Remove and inspect the air filter. You may have tipped the mower the wrong way when you freed up the engine and now have oil in the carb and cylinder. Also, loosen the nut on bottom of the carb to see if there is oil in the bowl. Do not remove, just loosen until you have fresh gas on your hand. After doing all this try starting again.

mrsmileyns

Forum Newbie
Threads
Take the spark plug out and pull the engine over about a dozen times. Put the plug back in. Remove and inspect the air filter. You may have tipped the mower the wrong way when you freed up the engine and now have oil in the carb and cylinder. Also, loosen the nut on bottom of the carb to see if there is oil in the bowl. Do not remove, just loosen until you have fresh gas on your hand. After doing all this try starting again.

Did that - pulled the plug - it didn't look bad but I cleaned it a little anyway. Pulled about 12 or 15 times with no plug. I tried to check if it is sparking when I pull but I can't really see. Checked the air filter - it is clean and dry. Tried starting it - got it to sputter a couple of times but not close to starting. I was not able to check the carb yet though. I am pretty sure I did not tip it wrong though - I have tipped it this way many times in the past to look under the deck and never had an issue. Like I sadi, the piston came free pretty easy just by moving the blade.

mrsmileyns

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am 99.9% sure I do not have spark.

mrsmileyns

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am thinking the coil fried when it overheated - I suppose I can replace that for $40 or so but I am not sure if that makes sense in light of damage that may have happened already when it seized - I guess that's just a gamble?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Have you checked to see if you might have sheared the flywheel key when the engine stop?

mrsmileyns

Forum Newbie
Threads
I haven't. I am not sure how to do that. Do you think it is worth investing time effort or money at this point?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It's under the starter cup. It is well worth the time to check.

mrsmileyns

Forum Newbie
Threads
wouldn't i still have spark even with a sheared flywheel key? i have no spark at all.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Not all the time.