Why does my mower battery always die?!

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Your user name pretty much tells the story for an estimated 50 percent of your problems.:laughing:

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Well that's starting to make sense because these are my readings from today's test:

33.4 volts ac: ~3300 RPM Stator

3.6-3.8 amps dc: ~3300 RPM rectifier

Battery was freshly charged last night so that explains the lower amp charge rate I suppose. BlazNT based on your son's experience, what is the "best" or at least more durable battery brand to use in a lawn mower? Thank you for letting me know Everstart is crap, some consumers on the internet said other wise when I researched it:confused2:.

Another issue I just noticed, take a look at these pictures. At idle speed the engine surges ever so slightly and you can see the throttle linkage move with the surge. I hear the slight surge at WOT as well. I just happened to look at the intake manifold on the right bank cylinder and saw/heard a white puff of air shoot out from where the gasket should be sealing it. Could this intake leak cause all this muck coating the block and carb?:
View attachment 30655

View attachment 30656

Interstate Battery is one of the best brands. This only has to do with lead acid batteries.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Make sure that your voltage regulator has a good ground. If need be run a separate wire from the case to a good ground on the engine.

saltlife97

Threads
Make sure that your voltage regulator has a good ground. If need be run a separate wire from the case to a good ground on the engine.

Even with a piss poor battery, should I see an instant 13.5 volt jump when the engine is running? Because I only see a small climb to 12.47. I'll check the regulator ground too.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Ok first and foremost Everstart is a Wal Mart branded battery. They are total crap batteries. My son used to make batteries and he told me they are the batteries that no other customer will buy. This is how they are tested, All batteries are tested and the ones that test the best are sold to high end battery companies. Then the ones that test at 90% then 80% and so on. When you get to the 4th level they are normally disassembled destroyed and rebuilt and sent back through the testing process. Well Wal mart buys the top of the crap batteries and sales them. They have a 78% failure rate after 90 days. Do not buy Wal Mart batteries.

WOW !!! Somebody screwed up at the testing facility .....I've had an "EVERSTART" battery in my mower for the past 3years, AND it still shows 12.3 volts at pre-start and 12.8 running @ W.O.T. ... I really don't think Walmart enjoys returns on anything !
I do clean my terminals AND other connections each spring being sure there are no frays or cuts, loose connections etc.
Vibrations on these riding mowers are hell on EVERYTHING ! Maintenance ... periodic maintenance !! ..:thumbsup:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Mower batteries are different to car batteries,
The plates are thicker to make them mechanically stronger.
The best ones by far are the Optima spiral cell batteries but I doubt any one will want to pay for the best.
After that comes motorcycle batteries,
AGM = adsorbent glass matt which goes in between at the plates to stop them shaking around
PVR=Pressure Valve Regulated as with the cap on you beer bottle, gas under pressure in the battery stops the cells gassing.
These are the most important thing to look for on a mower battery.

As for your mower, in the dark, pull off a battery lead.
If you get a good spark as you make & break then there is something drawing current while the mower is turned off.

saltlife97

Threads
Mower batteries are different to car batteries,
The plates are thicker to make them mechanically stronger.
The best ones by far are the Optima spiral cell batteries but I doubt any one will want to pay for the best.
After that comes motorcycle batteries,
AGM = adsorbent glass matt which goes in between at the plates to stop them shaking around
PVR=Pressure Valve Regulated as with the cap on you beer bottle, gas under pressure in the battery stops the cells gassing.
These are the most important thing to look for on a mower battery.

As for your mower, in the dark, pull off a battery lead.
If you get a good spark as you make & break then there is something drawing current while the mower is turned off.

I'll check out those batteries for the hell of it anyway thank you! I'll go do the make and break and see where I stand with that. Anyone have any idea though where that oily crap can be coming from in my previously mentioned images by the way?

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
WOW !!! Somebody screwed up at the testing facility .....I've had an "EVERSTART" battery in my mower for the past 3years, AND it still shows 12.3 volts at pre-start and 12.8 running @ W.O.T. ... I really don't think Walmart enjoys returns on anything !
I do clean my terminals AND other connections each spring being sure there are no frays or cuts, loose connections etc.
Vibrations on these riding mowers are hell on EVERYTHING ! Maintenance ... periodic maintenance !! ..:thumbsup:

You beat the odds. Remember 22% don't fail. 78% failure rate is after the 90 day warranty. No returns just new battery.

saltlife97

Threads
Is the Duracell battery good in lawn tractors? I checked Home Depot's page and I'm seeing some pretty bum reviews on the Interstate batteries. Some even say they give the 6 month warranty because it only lasts that long for them. This is very hard lol