Who Wears A Surgical Mask When Mowing?

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
I also do a fair amount of carpentry work in the winter in a cool garage/shop and this is the reason that I went with the 8511 with the exhaust valve and it just happened to work out for me while operating a dusty ZTR as mine has a collection system which makes more dust. I wear the same goggles sometimes while doing woodworking, like you said, sawing and sanding can produce dust that is way more nasty than mowing. Tablesaws have a tendency to throw particles directly at ones face.
The 8511 has a metal insert in the nose area so adjustments can be made to seal the nose area so air doesn't leak toward ones eye glasses. They are $5.00 each if purchased locally, I buy them in a 10 count box on line for 25-30 dollars and I am about to reorder as I am down to only a few. One of my pics is the front of the 10 count box.

Last edited:

Zeroturner

Threads
To prevent glass fogging buy some of the liquid applied to the inside of a diving mask.

It's available on the internet and works quite well. That's what I used for many years on the inside of my mask as a scuba diver.

The various brands of this stuff all work equally well in my experience.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Here in upper NY I have never seen a need for a face mask for mowing grass. I have never came across any dust or dirt from cutting grass. As a fact I have never come across anyone wearing one. Maybe in hay fever season?? I do use one in my wood working shop at times.

Zeroturner

Threads
reynoldston,

I envy your situation.

If the grass goes two days without rain, my mowing produces so much dust it looks like cattle stampede in three large sections of my yard... and watering it is out of the question.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
There is some sort of coating on my glasses and when I tried an anti-fog application the lenses got streaks on them.
As for dust, I just got home from 3 hours of mowing and I had to stop many times to let the dust settle so I could see where I was going, very dry. Hopefully we will get some rain this weekend!!!
Later
Mad Mackie in CT:laughing::biggrin::smile:

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
There is some sort of coating on my glasses and when I tried an anti-fog application the lenses got streaks on them. As for dust, I just got home from 3 hours of mowing and I had to stop many times to let the dust settle so I could see where I was going, very dry. Hopefully we will get some rain this weekend!!! Later Mad Mackie in CT:laughing::biggrin::smile:

When I cut yards this dusty I try to make only left hand turns.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
I don't wear one while mowing... To hot. Woodworking, bondo work ill wear one tho. Cheapy 3m ones

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
reynoldston,

I envy your situation.

If the grass goes two days without rain, my mowing produces so much dust it looks like cattle stampede in three large sections of my yard... and watering it is out of the question.

I live by Lake Ontario. I don't know what a shortage of water is. I do know what bad weather is off the lake is in the winter time. We do get dry weather but it doesn't last long, also we can just use all the water we need. Also as I see it any water we use finds it way back to the lake. Another problem we are having is pollution in our bays and lakes so all this water isn't free and clear.

Mike88se

Threads
I don't but I might try that one. I'm tired of coughing and blowing my nose from breathing in dust and co.
I've tried the painter's masks and they're crap.
----
I'm also thinking about safety goggles too. I've been sitting here for two days with a cornea abrasion from flying dust and debris on Wednesday. Not fun :(

Last edited:

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
I don't but I might try that one. I'm tired of coughing and blowing my nose from breathing in dust and co.
I've tried the painter's masks and they're crap.
----
I'm also thinking about safety goggles too. I've been sitting here for two days with a cornea abrasion from flying dust and debris on Wednesday. Not fun :(

Safety glasses are a must....