Who Wears A Surgical Mask When Mowing?

Zeroturner

Threads
I do.

I buy Flents High Filtration Efficiency Ear-Loop Mask, (that's what's printed on the box) in other words a surgical mask.

They come 20 to a box and are very inexpensive at Walmart.

With the massive amount or airborne particulates produced when mowing with a zero turn, I had to find something to keep from inhaling all that crud. I tried the kind of masks for painters and they were uncomfortable and got in the way of my sunglasses. I then tried tying on a bandanna, but couldn't get enough air and they wouldn't stay in place.

But the surgical masks work like a charm and keep me from having a lungful of crud.

Anyone here, besides me, use them?

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
I do.

I buy Flents High Filtration Efficiency Ear-Loop Mask, (that's what's printed on the box) in other words a surgical mask.

They come 20 to a box and are very inexpensive at Walmart.

With the massive amount or airborne particulates produced when mowing with a zero turn, I had to find something to keep from inhaling all that crud. I tried the kind of masks for painters and they were uncomfortable and got in the way of my sunglasses. I then tried tying on a bandanna, but couldn't get enough air and they wouldn't stay in place.

But the surgical masks work like a charm and keep me from having a lungful of crud.

Anyone here, besides me, use them?

Nope...I use hearing protection(even though my audiologist said mowing an hour or so a week was no danger to my hearing). I saw a guy mowing on a ZTR yesterday that had his head completely wrapped in a white cloth "turban"(except for his eyes). I gotta say he looked really weird(kinda like a mummy:0)

Zeroturner

Threads
djdicetn,

Oh yeah, I wear hearing protection too.

As loud as my 23 Kawasaki is, you betcha!

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
I wear a 3M 8511 mask, it has two straps, a metal insert for nose shape adjustment and an exhaust valve. I wear glasses and wear goggles over my glasses, a hat and 3M 30DB hearing protection. check out the pics, this dust mask has only 10 hours of mowing!! Just cleaned the mower deck and replaced the blades on my Scag. I'm experimenting with several different styles of mulching blades, but no matter type, dust blows all over me and the machine, nasty dry summer so far!!
Mad Mackie in CT

Attachments

• P7300004.JPG
    P7300004.JPG
    82.3 KB · Views: 12
  • P7300002.JPG
    P7300002.JPG
    68.8 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

Zeroturner

Threads
Mad Mackie,

That's one of the types of mask I had trouble with.

If you try the ones I use, I think you'll find them a lot more comfortable, and even better at keeping your lungs clean.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
I may have tried them, I had problems with the ear wrap type with my glasses as I had to tighten the hearing protection so much to seal the ear muffs that it was uncomfortable, but I will check this brand out. I don't like ear plugs and haven't found any that had sufficient hearing protection, plus all the dirt in my ears!! Fogging of my glasses and the insides of the goggles was mostly gone when I started wearing the 3M 8511s. I periodically treat the goggles with anti-fog stuff, but not my glasses.

Last edited:

Nwatson99

Threads
Yep sure do when it is really dusty out.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Tried it one time many years ago. Got about 20 feet threw it on the ground and mulched it.

And they make it hard to smoke and drink my green tea.

And then you have to walk around all day with a round clean spot on your face.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
You should see the looks that I get when I'm not able to wash off at a customers place and stop at the local gas station/store!!!! The woman behind the counter at the gas station will sometimes comment "been mowin again Mac?" Sometimes I'll say that I just got out of bed and I had a bad night, she chuckles and I'll look around at the customers there and smile!!! Must have something to do with my fellow soldiers calling "Mad Mackie", but that was 35 years ago and at 70+ I'm mellowing, somewhat HaHa!!!!!
Mad Mackie in CT:laughing::smile::biggrin:

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I wear a 3M 8511 mask, it has two straps, a metal insert for nose shape adjustment and an exhaust valve. I wear glasses and wear goggles over my glasses, a hat and 3M 30DB hearing protection. check out the pics, this dust mask has only 10 hours of mowing!! Just cleaned the mower deck and replaced the blades on my Scag. I'm experimenting with several different styles of mulching blades, but no matter type, dust blows all over me and the machine, nasty dry summer so far!!
Mad Mackie in CT

Does the exhaust valve do a good job of preventing condensation on eye glasses?

I do some woodworking in the winter months, when foggy glasses are more of a problem, and need the dust mask worse then than when mowing. Sawing gives plenty of dust contaminants but sanding is the real killer.

I really don't care how I look mowing or woodworking.

Thanks for your opinion.
SeniorCitizen