What to do for a logo?

Cajun power

Threads
don't listen to old farts. I love your logo. It's cool and you like it, so that is what is important. Putting these stickers on your machines and on your shirt is awesome.

make sure you have a phone number on these logos and stickers...in big format.

get vista print to run 1000 of these into business cards and then go to your area, and knock on doors.

we all started and the old farts forget how important it is to just get out there and do it and be confident and don't overthink the work. it's mowing grass and edging and making the customer happy. You do that and it's all bisquits and gravy. Have fun and be safe (always wear hearing protection and eye protection! always...you'll want to hear and see the birds chirping when you are an old man...protect those ears and eyes )

God Bless America

schreib69

Threads
Are you trying to look professional or just want to get noticed? You are making a common mistake when trying to get noticed. What do you think the people you want be hired by, like about you when your logo looks like the one you posted? Do they say “This looks like a respectable young man or what kind of job is this kid going to do?” My recommendation is to keep the name simple and easy to remember. Worry about the logo down the road, after people are pleased with your work.
listen to this guy. GREAT advice.

1madmouse

Threads
You have received some of the best information I have ever heard in my 70 years. Pay attention to copyright stuff, it does matter. The tax info is spot on, you will cringe when you see a registered letter from the IRS if you make a mistake and there is no where to hide.Like was said advertising is cool, but word of mouth is remembered more. You only have one chance to make a first impression, and your name , plus reputation are all you really have. Sell yourself by what you do and how you keep your word. Back up everything and then back up again. Give no excuses, man up to mistakes, and be humble, honest. Try to listen to what these older guys are telling you, they really are concerned for you and not just spouting stuff off. The school of hard knocks is not a good place to go. I am sure many here wish they would have had someone care enough to tell them all the crap they didn't want to hear. I am hoping you do something that no young people seem to do any more, like heed the good information you are getting here produced from many years of experience and hard work. Best of luck.

brown91

Forum Newbie
Threads
I agree with cajun power. My suggestion would be to use an online logo creation contest website. You post your ideas and people from around the world will send you custom logos trying to win the contest. I've used them a couple of times with very good results.

If you can't afford it, heck I'll do the artwork for you for free (If you can wait, I'm very busy these days). I AM NOT A PROSSIONAL GRAPHIC ARTIST, but I will help you all I can. ( See attached partial sample.)

Everything everyone on here has said is pretty much true. Just don't let it discourage you, you will figure it out as you go. I own my own business and the only thing I regret is not doing it sooner!

Attachments

• TEST1.png
    TEST1.png
    484.8 KB · Views: 9

mmoffitt

Threads
Are you trying to look professional or just want to get noticed? You are making a common mistake when trying to get noticed. What do you think the people you want be hired by, like about you when your logo looks like the one you posted? Do they say “This looks like a respectable young man or what kind of job is this kid going to do?” My recommendation is to keep the name simple and easy to remember. Worry about the logo down the road, after people are pleased with your work
My mom have this thing that can make stickers or print stuff onto shirts/sweatshirts. What should I do for a logo? I want something like this but I want a cool name on it (like my “business” name) by the way I’m only 14 View attachment 67424
Young man this is the place to be if you want sound advice on anything to do with this profession..listen to what these professionals say and do here. They have lifetimes of wisdom. Usually simple does it best...nothing cartoonish Good luck

Threads
If I've learned anything in my 69 years, it's to listen to the old farts. They've been there and know what they are talking about. Listen to them.

1madmouse

Threads
I know you came here to find a cool design and opened a can of worms. It can be a drag, but they are just trying to help. You can look all over the net for designs and different logos, or maybe you have a friend that likes to draw. Maybe try a few and see what sets you off. You can also find lots of business card stuff online too, maybe something that looks like you work hard or do a great job. The one you posted kind of looks like you would be a racer guy or wild, older people freak on that stuff, and think that is how you are. Just try to look at it like they would, imagine you are trying to hire a guy to do your personal place and that guy is you. Would you hire you to do the work? How would you present yourself and why should they hire you over the next guy? Everyone you meet has something you can learn from, the trick is finding out what that is.

TT398

Forum Newbie
Threads
Firstly, I applaud your ambition and starting young. I started a side business at 14 and reached my goal to retire at 40. I continued till 50 because I enjoyed it.
All the advises from old farts are very sound. If I had knew them before, I could have avoided some troubles. I'll just add a few things:
1. The backside of your business card does not look professional due to inconsistency. 1st and last line is capitalized but not the others. If you calling cards do not pay attention to details, would your work be sloppy too?
2. "May consider other jobs" is a bit arrogant. How about, "Please call on other landscape services." If you cannot handle it, you can always politely decline and use the conversation to see if they have other needs that you can fulfill. It would help to build a network of similar professions like tree trimming and junk hauling. Make referrals; it goes both ways. Make sure the referred businesses do good work because their performance reflect back on you.
3. You probably think it does not matter much if you are doing a few cash jobs with neighbors. But because you are a minor, if you get in trouble with the tax guy you parents are also on the hook. The more you make the more important it is to keep accounting and taxes straight. Start now with your simple business so you know what to do when your business grows more complex.
4. I cannot stress enough on liability protection. You should always carry liability insurance for your line of work; an expense that you never want to receive back the service. Shits happen. A landscaper shattered my friend's custom patio glass and luck had it a storm whipped up the next day and caused thousands-$ of interior damage. I was sued and was liable for $1.6MM because my tree fell on a passing car; I personally did not pay because I had $2M insurance coverage that only cost me $400/year. For all the $10K or so I paid over 20+ year one case made it worthwhile.
Again, do not put off with all the good advises or let them scare you. Being in business is to do right by the customers (your bosses!) and by the laws. Good luck!

PS. When I first moved here in central coast CA, an young man (probably 20yo) named Anthony knocked on my door offering mowing/weed abatement services with his compact utility tractor. He call it "Ant Tractor Mowing." At that time it was just him and a friend with one small tractor and weed wacker. 7 years later, his business boomed because of fair price and good work. I saw his booth at local farm expos, with shiny bigger tractors and implements. He now runs the crews and focuses on managing the business. Oh, he had business licenses and written contracts even when he just started out. You can look it up on the web. Quite impressive. Hope yours will grow like his.

Last edited:

TobyU

Threads
Well, now that we have established from reading through the post that you are a long cutting service or landscaping etc, we can give better advice.
You can always change it later because the shirts are going to wear out I need to be replaced and three or four years anyways.
But I would agree with some people that even though that's an awesome looking picture, it's probably not the best for someone who cuts grass for money..
Two reasons: it does look racy and high-tech more like a tractor pull or racing competition for tractors or lawn mowers and that doesn't give people the right impression of attention to detail and doing a nice tedious good job and taking their time while doing it.
Secondly, most professional lawn Care people in most parts of the country don't use riding mowers or lawn tractors or not the traditional riding mower like in your picture.
In fact, some customers have an issue with this. Sometimes just subconsciously and other times it's flat-out openly expressed and in the front of their mind.
Since the price for lawn care has gone up quite a bit over the years and the minimum for coming out now and doing anything is kind of just that, a minimum, they expect to get something close to their money's worth.
Technically, all they're paying for is for you to cut their grass and make it look respectable and like it should be.
How you do it or what you used to do it with should be none of their concern or business, but people don't work this way.
When you have a trailer that you pull behind a decent looking truck, with zero turn mowers or walk behind commercial style mowers, it's easier for them to justify paying you the price which is probably just the going rate or could even be slightly cheaper but that's just the way their brains work.

I'm not saying there haven't been plenty of successful people who use a Craftsman 42-in riding lawn mower, but I'm saying it's a little harder so if I'm going to create a logo or put stuff on my business card, it's going to be professional grade equipment and not lawn or garden tractor style stuff that is common for residential owners to use themselves.

mcspeed

Threads
Listen to the people who have actual results like bertsmobile1. That is a huge success story.

Let your work be your logo. Show up on time or early. Do excellent work ( straight lines and change the pattern each week, no clumps of grass, no missed patches, sweep/blow, with extra effort like pulling weeds, fixing gate, picking up trash etc). In other words exceed expectations. Word of mouth is what you are looking for. Stand above the rest by doing excellent work and you will never need a logo.