What is the difference between the Scag Advantage Deck and the Velocity+ Deck

Conn0r33

Threads
  • / What is the difference between the Scag Advantage Deck and the Velocity+ Deck
I'm just wondering what the difference is. I have not been able to tell the difference on scag.com. Also I was wondering what deck is better for mulching. But if you are not sure in mulching that is fine I'm just interested in the difference between the two.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / What is the difference between the Scag Advantage Deck and the Velocity+ Deck
The Velocity deck has a much larger discharge outlet and some minor differences in the removable/adjustable baffle across the front. Scag machines with Velocity decks have the adjustment on the left front support chain.
I sometimes mulch with my 48" Velocity deck using G3 blades and a blocking plate. I also use the G3 blades all the time, mulching, side discharge or collection system installed.
I tried G6 mulching blades, but the airflow created by them causes extreme blowout, G3s not near as much.

Conn0r33

Threads
The Velocity deck has a much larger discharge outlet and some minor differences in the removable/adjustable baffle across the front. Scag machines with Velocity decks have the adjustment on the left front support chain.
I sometimes mulch with my 48" Velocity deck using G3 blades and a blocking plate. I also use the G3 blades all the time, mulching, side discharge or collection system installed.
I tried G6 mulching blades, but the airflow created by them causes extreme blowout, G3s not near as much.
Thanks! I pretty much only care about what mulches better, and what deck is better. If they are mostly the same but one mulches better than the other I will probably want that one. I only care about mulching because I don't know if I will ever be side discharging. Because I mulch 98% if the time.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
What machine are you looking at?
Just a few Scag walkbehinds still have the Advantage deck and older ZTRs, everything else has the Velocity decks. Scag does make a mulching system for Velocity decks, pricey and their blades must be used.

Conn0r33

Threads
What machine are you looking at?
Just a few Scag walkbehinds still have the Advantage deck and older ZTRs, everything else has the Velocity decks. Scag does make a mulching system for Velocity decks, pricey and their blades must be used.

I'm looking at the walk behinds and the V-Ride. I read on their website that the 36in decks on either would be Advantage and anything else (48, 52, 61) would be Velocity+
I looked at Toro mowers but they were way too expensive. But I am open to any mower recommendations because I'm still not sure. I'm in Nebraska so I believe I'm cutting mostly Fescue and bluegrass. On bad lawns I would have no idea what grass. I'm not sure if type of grass effects the cut quality but it seems like it might to me.

whelch1

Threads
I have a freedom z with the advantage deck. I recently put a mulching plate (not the full kit) on it. My first mow was great but the grass was dry and had not grown very much. I used the standard blades and it tended to blow grass on me really bad, but I actually noticed that it laid the grass down and striped a lot better so I got over the flying grass. Right after that we started getting a ton of rain and I wasn't able to cut enough, and I was having to double cut everything to make it look good. I took the plate back off and will try it again when the grass stops growing so much. Maybe with the full hurricane mulching kit it would be better but I will say that with just the mulching plate it was not perfect. I have never mulched with a velocity deck so I cannot compare the two.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
When a blocking plate is put on any mower, the dust from blowout gets nasty, just gotta live with it!!
There are times when I'm in the mulching mode, I have to stop in the middle of the job and blow off the machine with my backpack blower.

Last edited:

Homer1

Threads
I am interested in seeing if anyone has any feedback with the entire mulching kit installed on the advantage deck as well. So far I have had no issues with cut or discharge on my advantage, but the velocity is obviously a more adjustable deck. I would say that unless your doing some heavy mowing though, it could be overkill. Can't speak to it's performance, I've never mowed with one.