Export thread

What is the difference between the Scag Advantage Deck and the Velocity+ Deck

C

Conn0r33

I'm just wondering what the difference is. I have not been able to tell the difference on scag.com. Also I was wondering what deck is better for mulching. But if you are not sure in mulching that is fine I'm just interested in the difference between the two.

M

Mad Mackie

The Velocity deck has a much larger discharge outlet and some minor differences in the removable/adjustable baffle across the front. Scag machines with Velocity decks have the adjustment on the left front support chain.
I sometimes mulch with my 48" Velocity deck using G3 blades and a blocking plate. I also use the G3 blades all the time, mulching, side discharge or collection system installed.
I tried G6 mulching blades, but the airflow created by them causes extreme blowout, G3s not near as much.

C

Conn0r33

The Velocity deck has a much larger discharge outlet and some minor differences in the removable/adjustable baffle across the front. Scag machines with Velocity decks have the adjustment on the left front support chain.
I sometimes mulch with my 48" Velocity deck using G3 blades and a blocking plate. I also use the G3 blades all the time, mulching, side discharge or collection system installed.
I tried G6 mulching blades, but the airflow created by them causes extreme blowout, G3s not near as much.
Thanks! I pretty much only care about what mulches better, and what deck is better. If they are mostly the same but one mulches better than the other I will probably want that one. I only care about mulching because I don't know if I will ever be side discharging. Because I mulch 98% if the time.

M

Mad Mackie

What machine are you looking at?
Just a few Scag walkbehinds still have the Advantage deck and older ZTRs, everything else has the Velocity decks. Scag does make a mulching system for Velocity decks, pricey and their blades must be used.

C

Conn0r33

What machine are you looking at?
Just a few Scag walkbehinds still have the Advantage deck and older ZTRs, everything else has the Velocity decks. Scag does make a mulching system for Velocity decks, pricey and their blades must be used.

I'm looking at the walk behinds and the V-Ride. I read on their website that the 36in decks on either would be Advantage and anything else (48, 52, 61) would be Velocity+
I looked at Toro mowers but they were way too expensive. But I am open to any mower recommendations because I'm still not sure. I'm in Nebraska so I believe I'm cutting mostly Fescue and bluegrass. On bad lawns I would have no idea what grass. I'm not sure if type of grass effects the cut quality but it seems like it might to me.

W

whelch1

I have a freedom z with the advantage deck. I recently put a mulching plate (not the full kit) on it. My first mow was great but the grass was dry and had not grown very much. I used the standard blades and it tended to blow grass on me really bad, but I actually noticed that it laid the grass down and striped a lot better so I got over the flying grass. Right after that we started getting a ton of rain and I wasn't able to cut enough, and I was having to double cut everything to make it look good. I took the plate back off and will try it again when the grass stops growing so much. Maybe with the full hurricane mulching kit it would be better but I will say that with just the mulching plate it was not perfect. I have never mulched with a velocity deck so I cannot compare the two.

M

Mad Mackie

When a blocking plate is put on any mower, the dust from blowout gets nasty, just gotta live with it!!
There are times when I'm in the mulching mode, I have to stop in the middle of the job and blow off the machine with my backpack blower.

Homer1

Homer1

I am interested in seeing if anyone has any feedback with the entire mulching kit installed on the advantage deck as well. So far I have had no issues with cut or discharge on my advantage, but the velocity is obviously a more adjustable deck. I would say that unless your doing some heavy mowing though, it could be overkill. Can't speak to it's performance, I've never mowed with one.