Welcome to the Murray Forum -- Check in Here First!

macked

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey Ya'll,
I'm new to the forum and hope to learn and share info here. I have an '96 Murray 42" with a 18 hp B&S. Thanks Steve

mowermech

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just joined this forum this morning. I posted a question in the Small Engine and Mower Repair forum before I looked around and found this Murray sub-forum. KennyV responded with a link to an excellent publication that I can use for a number of projects - thanks for that.

I have acquired a number of mowers, all free, that I am going to either rebuild or part out, depending on the condition. The Murray in question - unknown year, 40" deck, model # nearly unreadable - is the first I am working on. Trying to get it in shape so it can live in our firehouse and be used to mow around the firehouse/park. Maybe if there is a mower there, someone else will also step up and mow parks besides me.

Saw another post for a Noma mower. I likewise have a Noma that I bought new in the mid 90's, it's plastic body instead of metal, but was a mowing fool until one of the spindles broke. It moved with me from Seattle to here in Texas in an ABF freight trailer, so the plastic kind of took a beating, but it's still all there. It's now a project. I really like it because it steers front and rear, so it will really turn a sharp corner.

I also have 21 project motorcycles to keep the lawn tractors company. Good thing I am retired...

Bill Perry is the name, magentawing on a number of motorcycle related forums, and I'll post an avatar and pictures as soon as I figure out how to do it.

midnite rider

Lawn Addict
Threads
Just joined this forum this morning. I posted a question in the Small Engine and Mower Repair forum before I looked around and found this Murray sub-forum. KennyV responded with a link to an excellent publication that I can use for a number of projects - thanks for that.

I have acquired a number of mowers, all free, that I am going to either rebuild or part out, depending on the condition. The Murray in question - unknown year, 40" deck, model # nearly unreadable - is the first I am working on. Trying to get it in shape so it can live in our firehouse and be used to mow around the firehouse/park. Maybe if there is a mower there, someone else will also step up and mow parks besides me.

Saw another post for a Noma mower. I likewise have a Noma that I bought new in the mid 90's, it's plastic body instead of metal, but was a mowing fool until one of the spindles broke. It moved with me from Seattle to here in Texas in an ABF freight trailer, so the plastic kind of took a beating, but it's still all there. It's now a project. I really like it because it steers front and rear, so it will really turn a sharp corner.

I also have 21 project motorcycles to keep the lawn tractors company. Good thing I am retired...

Bill Perry is the name, magentawing on a number of motorcycle related forums, and I'll post an avatar and pictures as soon as I figure out how to do it.

Hi Bill, Would love to see your pictures, the instructions on how are in the site discussion at-how-create-photo-galleries-upload-photos. Thanks for your service in helping at the fire department.

Cubster

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi, I'm new here. Joined a couple of days ago. I inherited a '94 GT 46. It sat outdoors pretty much untouched for 6 or 7 years. Rebuilt the carb (twice, now). Installed a couple of new belts and cleaned a lot. The old Briggs opposed twin seems fine. I can tell that Murray is or was a troubled brand. Very flimsy tin and too much plastic, but such a simple layout and basic functional parts. how can you go wrong with that big Briggs and a 5 speed Peerless with 1" axles and real bearings instead of just bushings. Kinda like the lack of the night-marish variable belts found on MTDs. Thought I do a quick turnaround and sell it, but I may keep it around for a while. My herd of Deere need the company.

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 28
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 20

J. D. Ward

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks; look forward to discussing mower repair , feedback and views of mower info. In this age of money scrimping being able to bring back new life to an older mower is gratifying. Usually the older equipment is made with better heavier dity parts. Along with these Murrays in my thread I also own a 14 Hp IC Murray bought for my wife in 1994. Plus I am second owner to a 1970 Bolens rotortiller also given to me by my father-in-law not running; which now will dig a garden again, and am second owner to a 1968 Simplicity snowblower I use each winter at least once here in MI. Yes I also have a no name front tine rotortiller I`ve owned for more than 20 years I traded for with a neighbor for a load of firewood. So new lawn and garden equipment are a bit foreign to me, but I enjoy the satisfaction of getting an older item to run again. I have checked the forums before and they have help in many ways.

de dee

Threads
  • / Welcome to the Murray Forum -- Check in Here First!
just got a new to us Murray tractor , mod. 425000X81A SKU.106-662 DATE 2002-12-17
SER. 7518885123M008
MOTOR B&S MOD. 31C707 TYPE 0175E1 CODE 020907ZE
IT WAS IN DIRE NEED OF A OIL CHANGE, NEW BATTERY, AND HEAD LIGHTS, NO GRASS TO CUT SO WILL WAIT FOR SPRING TO CHECK THAT,. LOOKING FOR SERVICE MANUAL ON LINE , SO FAR IT RUNS PERFECTLY,. THANK YOU RIVITES FOR THE MANUAL ON A TECUMSEH ENGINE,. LAST WEEK,. STILL WAITING FOR THE PARTS TO COME IN,. I HAVENT DONE A ENGINE REBUILD SINCE 1957 THAT WAS ON A NASH METROPOLITAN WITH A A 40 AUSTAN ENGINE, PS DONT GET OLD, IT PLAYS HELL WITH MOVING ENGINES AROUND,. ILL BE 80 COME SPRING,.
DE DEE JOE GOULET

Threads
  • / Welcome to the Murray Forum -- Check in Here First!
just got a new to us Murray tractor , mod. 425000X81A SKU.106-662 DATE 2002-12-17
SER. 7518885123M008
MOTOR B&S MOD. 31C707 TYPE 0175E1 CODE 020907ZE
IT WAS IN DIRE NEED OF A OIL CHANGE, NEW BATTERY, AND HEAD LIGHTS, NO GRASS TO CUT SO WILL WAIT FOR SPRING TO CHECK THAT,. LOOKING FOR SERVICE MANUAL ON LINE , SO FAR IT RUNS PERFECTLY,. THANK YOU RIVITES FOR THE MANUAL ON A TECUMSEH ENGINE,. LAST WEEK,. STILL WAITING FOR THE PARTS TO COME IN,. I HAVENT DONE A ENGINE REBUILD SINCE 1957 THAT WAS ON A NASH METROPOLITAN WITH A A 40 AUSTAN ENGINE, PS DONT GET OLD, IT PLAYS HELL WITH MOVING ENGINES AROUND,. ILL BE 80 COME SPRING,.
DE DEE JOE GOULET

Well once spring comes, tell us how it mows! And happy upcoming birthday!:biggrin:

Fireman 123

Threads
lawn mower fanatic said:
Well once spring comes, tell us how it mows! And happy upcoming birthday!:biggrin:

Here's my old Murray 11/36

Attachments

• image-3344211895.jpg
    image-3344211895.jpg
    681.6 KB · Views: 19
  • image-3395832301.jpg
    image-3395832301.jpg
    680.4 KB · Views: 12
  • image-2410104238.jpg
    image-2410104238.jpg
    601.3 KB · Views: 6

Foursum

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello to All;

Just now joined the forum and I'm looking forward to spending time reviewed previous posts to see what I can learn and maybe even add something to the discussions. I have two Murray riding mowers with the oldest being a 1991 model that was owned by my mother and I'm desparately to keep it going given the problem with finding parts. I'm currently trying to repair the grass catcher and have been able to find most of the parts I need from Sears (but they aren't cheap).

Best Wishes,
Foursum/Jimmy

Threads
Hello to All;

Just now joined the forum and I'm looking forward to spending time reviewed previous posts to see what I can learn and maybe even add something to the discussions. I have two Murray riding mowers with the oldest being a 1991 model that was owned by my mother and I'm desparately to keep it going given the problem with finding parts. I'm currently trying to repair the grass catcher and have been able to find most of the parts I need from Sears (but they aren't cheap).

Best Wishes,
Foursum/Jimmy

:welcome: to LMF! :smile: