Export thread

Welcome to the Murray Forum -- Check in Here First!

M

Muhammad

GREETINGS to all Murray equipment owners!

If you're new to the forum, please reply to this thread and introduce yourself and your Murray power tools (that is, if your mower has a name). Maybe attach a photo or two of your equipment.

Also, if you haven't done so already, you can upload a user avatar (picture under your user name). You can do so by clicking on settings and "edit avatar" or just click here.

Please be helpful and friendly to all other Murray owners (how could you not, right?) and if you like this forum, tell your friends about it.

We want to make this the best resource for Murray owners, and to do that we need your help! Questions? Experiences? Stories? Data? Photos? Articles? Links? Cool Murray stuff? Post it here!

Last but not least, please let me know if you have any suggestions for the site. We'd love to hear them.

reddragon

reddragon

well....heres another one!......$100......its a NOMA MURRAY....havent figured out the year yet...but all that was wrong was the idler pulley lost a nut and fell off....no problem....its got the Peerless 6sp...16hp Tecumseh Enduro.....and brand new tires all around...[they still have the hairs on them].....everything works great now....the hood has some cracks...but its a runner

Attachments

reddragon

reddragon

ok..the year is 1996...between Murray and Tecumseh numbers system....i thought id never figure it out :laughing:

Dangeroustoys56

Dangeroustoys56

I have a handful of murrays, only oddball is my 90 murray :

Has the rear opening hood setup - when i first got it , i had no idea what the box on the front was for, almost threw it out actually.

It came with a rear bagger hangar, but no bag setup - i actually found the bagger setup at a Restore for $10, minus the bags.

Im just curious on how rare the water boxes are , most ive seen use either front wheel weights or a weight on the front axle.

reddragon

reddragon

ive never seen one for a Murray...but you really dont need weights for a little guy like that...whats the engine?

Dangeroustoys56

Dangeroustoys56

12HP flathead briggs - i think its a 38" deck ( cant remember :eek:) - sorry for the fuzzy pic , camera was on long distance shot, not close up.

Ive never had any water in it actually , could probably even put sand in it ( plentiful down here in the south), my dad has a 88 MTD that has a factory bagger and front wheel weights - that also has a 12HP briggs.

None of my other bagger MTD tractors have weights, altho the PO's couldve removed them.

I picked up a ZTR husquavara twin bagger setup from Lowes ( price was right- $30) even tho i dont own one - that came with a 20lb front axle weight - thatll get mounted to one of my other tractors.

F

fluidray

Hi,

I just purchased a 1999 or 2000 yard machine (first two engine code numbers are 99). 17 hp Briggs twin with 42" mower deck. The id tag is gone from under the seat. It has a couple of problems, the engine starts but idles up and down/surges. The blade belt is broke and one of the variable transmission belts is broke. I am hoping to id belts w/o having the id. I have the broken blade belt but it is shredded.

K

kyle3194

Hey all! I've posted here before, and just now got the ol Murray finally running! Took a lot of time, but im more than happy with the result... She's a worker, not a shower lol. Ill post a video on here from youtube with all the steps i have taken. Umm i still need a couple things for her, new starter, maybe fiber-glassing a hood. Also i have a buddy that has an old stack that i may put into the exhaust system. Let me know what you guys think of her.

Video

photo.JPG

reddragon

reddragon

those twins are great engines!....and youve got one of the big [best] Murrays....also Murray is now back in business after 3 years:thumbsup:

C

chad22

those twins are great engines!....and youve got one of the big [best] Murrays....also Murray is now back in business after 3 years:thumbsup:

Yep there good engines. I got one on my home made excavator now. I do need to rebuild the carb sometime though. But other then a little flooding now and then. It runs great.

I got the hydraulic pump driven off a belt now. Gonna have to get me another camera and post pics and an updated video of the excavator in the build it yourself forum.

Chad

M

macked

Hey Ya'll,
I'm new to the forum and hope to learn and share info here. I have an '96 Murray 42" with a 18 hp B&S. Thanks Steve

M

mowermech

Just joined this forum this morning. I posted a question in the Small Engine and Mower Repair forum before I looked around and found this Murray sub-forum. KennyV responded with a link to an excellent publication that I can use for a number of projects - thanks for that.

I have acquired a number of mowers, all free, that I am going to either rebuild or part out, depending on the condition. The Murray in question - unknown year, 40" deck, model # nearly unreadable - is the first I am working on. Trying to get it in shape so it can live in our firehouse and be used to mow around the firehouse/park. Maybe if there is a mower there, someone else will also step up and mow parks besides me.

Saw another post for a Noma mower. I likewise have a Noma that I bought new in the mid 90's, it's plastic body instead of metal, but was a mowing fool until one of the spindles broke. It moved with me from Seattle to here in Texas in an ABF freight trailer, so the plastic kind of took a beating, but it's still all there. It's now a project. I really like it because it steers front and rear, so it will really turn a sharp corner.

I also have 21 project motorcycles to keep the lawn tractors company. Good thing I am retired...

Bill Perry is the name, magentawing on a number of motorcycle related forums, and I'll post an avatar and pictures as soon as I figure out how to do it.

midnite rider

midnite rider

Just joined this forum this morning. I posted a question in the Small Engine and Mower Repair forum before I looked around and found this Murray sub-forum. KennyV responded with a link to an excellent publication that I can use for a number of projects - thanks for that.

I have acquired a number of mowers, all free, that I am going to either rebuild or part out, depending on the condition. The Murray in question - unknown year, 40" deck, model # nearly unreadable - is the first I am working on. Trying to get it in shape so it can live in our firehouse and be used to mow around the firehouse/park. Maybe if there is a mower there, someone else will also step up and mow parks besides me.

Saw another post for a Noma mower. I likewise have a Noma that I bought new in the mid 90's, it's plastic body instead of metal, but was a mowing fool until one of the spindles broke. It moved with me from Seattle to here in Texas in an ABF freight trailer, so the plastic kind of took a beating, but it's still all there. It's now a project. I really like it because it steers front and rear, so it will really turn a sharp corner.

I also have 21 project motorcycles to keep the lawn tractors company. Good thing I am retired...

Bill Perry is the name, magentawing on a number of motorcycle related forums, and I'll post an avatar and pictures as soon as I figure out how to do it.

Hi Bill, Would love to see your pictures, the instructions on how are in the site discussion at-how-create-photo-galleries-upload-photos. Thanks for your service in helping at the fire department.

Cubster

Cubster

Hi, I'm new here. Joined a couple of days ago. I inherited a '94 GT 46. It sat outdoors pretty much untouched for 6 or 7 years. Rebuilt the carb (twice, now). Installed a couple of new belts and cleaned a lot. The old Briggs opposed twin seems fine. I can tell that Murray is or was a troubled brand. Very flimsy tin and too much plastic, but such a simple layout and basic functional parts. how can you go wrong with that big Briggs and a 5 speed Peerless with 1" axles and real bearings instead of just bushings. Kinda like the lack of the night-marish variable belts found on MTDs. Thought I do a quick turnaround and sell it, but I may keep it around for a while. My herd of Deere need the company.

Attachments

J

J. D. Ward

Thanks; look forward to discussing mower repair , feedback and views of mower info. In this age of money scrimping being able to bring back new life to an older mower is gratifying. Usually the older equipment is made with better heavier dity parts. Along with these Murrays in my thread I also own a 14 Hp IC Murray bought for my wife in 1994. Plus I am second owner to a 1970 Bolens rotortiller also given to me by my father-in-law not running; which now will dig a garden again, and am second owner to a 1968 Simplicity snowblower I use each winter at least once here in MI. Yes I also have a no name front tine rotortiller I`ve owned for more than 20 years I traded for with a neighbor for a load of firewood. So new lawn and garden equipment are a bit foreign to me, but I enjoy the satisfaction of getting an older item to run again. I have checked the forums before and they have help in many ways.

D

de dee

just got a new to us Murray tractor , mod. 425000X81A SKU.106-662 DATE 2002-12-17
SER. 7518885123M008
MOTOR B&S MOD. 31C707 TYPE 0175E1 CODE 020907ZE
IT WAS IN DIRE NEED OF A OIL CHANGE, NEW BATTERY, AND HEAD LIGHTS, NO GRASS TO CUT SO WILL WAIT FOR SPRING TO CHECK THAT,. LOOKING FOR SERVICE MANUAL ON LINE , SO FAR IT RUNS PERFECTLY,. THANK YOU RIVITES FOR THE MANUAL ON A TECUMSEH ENGINE,. LAST WEEK,. STILL WAITING FOR THE PARTS TO COME IN,. I HAVENT DONE A ENGINE REBUILD SINCE 1957 THAT WAS ON A NASH METROPOLITAN WITH A A 40 AUSTAN ENGINE, PS DONT GET OLD, IT PLAYS HELL WITH MOVING ENGINES AROUND,. ILL BE 80 COME SPRING,.
DE DEE JOE GOULET

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

just got a new to us Murray tractor , mod. 425000X81A SKU.106-662 DATE 2002-12-17
SER. 7518885123M008
MOTOR B&S MOD. 31C707 TYPE 0175E1 CODE 020907ZE
IT WAS IN DIRE NEED OF A OIL CHANGE, NEW BATTERY, AND HEAD LIGHTS, NO GRASS TO CUT SO WILL WAIT FOR SPRING TO CHECK THAT,. LOOKING FOR SERVICE MANUAL ON LINE , SO FAR IT RUNS PERFECTLY,. THANK YOU RIVITES FOR THE MANUAL ON A TECUMSEH ENGINE,. LAST WEEK,. STILL WAITING FOR THE PARTS TO COME IN,. I HAVENT DONE A ENGINE REBUILD SINCE 1957 THAT WAS ON A NASH METROPOLITAN WITH A A 40 AUSTAN ENGINE, PS DONT GET OLD, IT PLAYS HELL WITH MOVING ENGINES AROUND,. ILL BE 80 COME SPRING,.
DE DEE JOE GOULET

Well once spring comes, tell us how it mows! And happy upcoming birthday!:biggrin:

Fireman 123

Fireman 123

lawn mower fanatic said:
Well once spring comes, tell us how it mows! And happy upcoming birthday!:biggrin:

Here's my old Murray 11/36

Attachments

F

Foursum

Hello to All;

Just now joined the forum and I'm looking forward to spending time reviewed previous posts to see what I can learn and maybe even add something to the discussions. I have two Murray riding mowers with the oldest being a 1991 model that was owned by my mother and I'm desparately to keep it going given the problem with finding parts. I'm currently trying to repair the grass catcher and have been able to find most of the parts I need from Sears (but they aren't cheap).

Best Wishes,
Foursum/Jimmy

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

Hello to All;

Just now joined the forum and I'm looking forward to spending time reviewed previous posts to see what I can learn and maybe even add something to the discussions. I have two Murray riding mowers with the oldest being a 1991 model that was owned by my mother and I'm desparately to keep it going given the problem with finding parts. I'm currently trying to repair the grass catcher and have been able to find most of the parts I need from Sears (but they aren't cheap).

Best Wishes,
Foursum/Jimmy

:welcome: to LMF! :smile:

E

ejb513

Hello thanks to all for the willingness to help me with my lawn mower problem

J

jbxtex

Re: Welcome to the Murray Forum -- Greetings Yall!

I picked up a Murray Rear ending Rider for 75 bucks on craigslist. I have a smallish yard but have a messed up ankle so hence the rider. Thanks

Attachments

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

Re: Welcome to the Murray Forum -- Greetings Yall!

I picked up a Murray Rear ending Rider for 75 bucks on craigslist. I have a smallish yard but have a messed up ankle so hence the rider. Thanks

:welcome: Welcome to LawnWorld...nice mower! :thumbsup:

J

jtannos

If you're new to the forum, please reply to this thread and introduce yourself and your Murray power tools (that is, if your mower has a name). Maybe attach a photo or two of your equipment.

Also, if you haven't done so already, you can upload a user avatar (picture under your user name). You can do so by clicking on settings and "edit avatar" or just click here.

Please be helpful and friendly to all other Murray owners (how could you not, right?) and if you like this forum, tell your friends about it.

We want to make this the best resource for Murray owners, and to do that we need your help! Questions? Experiences? Stories? Data? Photos? Articles? Links? Cool Murray stuff? Post it here!

Last but not least, please let me know if you have any suggestions for the site. We'd love to hear them.

I have a Scotts Lawn Tractor made by Murray with a 17-HP B&S Intek engine. The engine will not crank due to a blown 15-amp fuse. Replacement fuses are blown also. Any clues as to what to look for? Thanks

L

latollman

Hello...I own a Murray 425001X8D (my grandbaby sitting on it) Murray.jpg I bought it brand new and overall it's been a good mower. However I joined this forum to get help with an ongoing issue. I'll create a separate thread for that.

H

hairryanimal

Hello
Well here goes. I recently got my murray i/c mower with 40 inch cut and a 12hp tacumsa motor. I am not sure what year it is. Finding this fourm has been wonderful, I am hoping to find the information that I need and share whatever I can with others

R

rmitchh

Hello all. I just picked up a used Murray riding mower with a vertical shaft Tecumseh 13 hp motor with a electric starter. Not sure of the year but it runs like a beast. That is when I can get it to start.

Thanks,
Mitch

B

brianklink

Hello all,

I have an older 21" Murray walk behind lawn mower that has a "snap in" throttle cable. I can't seem to find these type cables anywhere on the web. As you can see from the attached pics the "snap in" hub portion of my cable has separated from the cable housing effectively rendering the cable useless. I tried to glue but it loosened again. Perhaps a stronger glue would do the trick. What I really want to know is....can I still get these cables? Or perhaps can I retrofit a different style of cable. I believe the plate that bolts to the carb may need to be modified if I go down the retrofit path. The model number for my mower is 21678X92A. Thanks for any input!!

Brian

IMG_20130721_240155_074.jpgIMG_20130721_240210_506.jpgIMG_20130721_240217_655.jpg

P

pfleming

Hey guys, new member here. I have a 1998 Murray model 42590x92a 42" cut that I've upgraded from the stock 14.5 hp to a 17.5 hp Briggs engine. I also have a newly acquired L130 John Deere that was given to me by a friend a couple of weeks ago. I never thought I'd own a Deere, but hey, can't sneeze at free. I was wondering if anyone has a link to an owners manual for my Murray? I'd like to brush up on how to level the deck (the right way), because after putting on a set of mulching blades, it seems to cut lower than it did with flat blades on the same setting. Any help is appreciated.

D

ddrichard

hello names Denis , been lurking for a while and decided to come and play. i currently own a 1998 murray 17hp hydro and a murray made sears gt18 4 speed.

richey88

richey88

I've been lurking around here for a little while, so what the hey I'll introduce myself. My names Nate I have a Murray 405000x8e, I'm a mechanic by trade. I love tinkering with engines and anything automotive. I have a build thread in the "build it yourself" forum on my engine swap. I look forward to posting here in the future.

http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/build-yourself/21746-engine-swap-question.html

K

kgrant

If you're new to the forum.......

Hello I'm kgrant. New member. I've got a 2003 Murray. Bought at Wallmart I think. Just removed the trans-axle. Working to make one fit. It's gonna take some back yard engineering. I just thought I'd look around here and see if some others have had to do the same.

Too bad Murry and Peerless went belly up. Of course I didn't spend a lot on my rider but I was disappointed when I removed the transmission and the poor shape it was in. Looked like some better bearings where the input shaft and axles enter the housing could have helped the mower last much longer.

D

doctorold

Just checking in. I would like to say hello to all and thanks for the site. I have three Murray's right now and they all need some help. So off I go to start a new thread in the Murray forum. Also. I found a link to several parts diagrams with part numbers for 68-89 models, no affiliation, hope it helps someone. "K&T Parts House Lawn Mower Parts and Chain Saw & Trimmer Parts"

1st Thread: http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/murra...-deck-bearings-jackshaft-help.html#post153345

P

park4019

Hi ,Muhammad. I'm new to the forum. Only have one riding mower; its a Murray wide body [like me], with a Briggs 14.5hp intek engine. I thought it was considered old [2000], until I saw the years that others have. I have several push mowers; Troy, Cub Cadet, Craftsman; the last two in need of TLC. I'll be asking lots of questions. I'm a retired bus mechanic; living in Southern Ma.
Looks to be a great site, with lots of friendly people. Glad to be here.

R

ringeye666

Hello all !!!

Need help. I have a Murray wide body with 17 hp B&S and 46" deck.

Model number is completely faded. Need help finding parts for deck.

Looking for complete spindle assembly.

Any help would be great

Old spindle says 24385 on it that"s all I have to go on

P

Pumper54

Greeting to All,
Hi I am Tom from Texas and I own a Murray Riding mower. There with that out of the way I can get on with it. I just bought a well used Murray Pro 18/46 rider with a B&S V-twin engine. The guy I bought it from gave me the parts and operator manuals for the mower but I am unable to determine the date of manufacture on it and he didn't know as it came with the house he bought. The sticker on the rear of the mower shows the model to be 46209x9c # 3395804 and a Date of Manufacture 0813, the way I under stand the DoM is that it would be the 81th day of the year but would that be 1983, 1993 or 2003. The mower is Silver and Black in color and so far I have not been able to match any part numbers at any of the supply house I check on line. Pictures when I figure out how to post em.
If anyone can help me determine the age of the machine and a good place to find part it would be most helpful.
Thanks and you all have a great day
Tom

Fish

Fish

What about this one?

Murray lt Parts Diagram Index for 46209X9C

Also, find the model numbers off of the engine and we can get the engine's date there. If it is a v-twin, they should be on one of the vlve covers, and the date should be the latest one you suggested.

P

Pumper54

Fish,
Thanks for the reply. I found that website and most of the parts I looked at are obsolete and no longer stocked. Hopefully I can match the stuff at the local hardware store. Any idea if the part numbers are superseded, say the number in the parts book I have says 92117E700 (Blades) will a 92117E701 part fit?
I just went out and took some pictures of the mower and engine and discovered I called it a 46/20 when in fact it is a 18/46. Oops
Engine data plate shows the following: Model 422707, Type: 1236 02 Code: 9303105A
Tom

Fish

Fish

Yeah, the last suffix on part number usually just refers to paint color. The Suffix on the model number indicates who bould and sold that mower, like K-mart/Walmart/etc.

Let me know what parts you are needing, I should be able to help you locate them.

S

srodney184

Thanks for the welcome.

M

mike in tn

Hello my name is Mike from Tn. I have a 1996 Murray 46 in. cut 16 hp. hydrostatic automatic
drive. Does anyone have a part number for the belt?

reddragon

reddragon

Hello my name is Mike from Tn. I have a 1996 Murray 46 in. cut 16 hp. hydrostatic automatic
drive. Does anyone have a part number for the belt?

Which belt?
drive or mower deck?
get the model and serial numbers and find a parts diagram online
if you have the old belt, then look for a part number
ebay has great deals on belts, but i like to give my local shop a chance first...

D

dberry1052

desperately trying to find part for this Murray (scott's) model 22965x8B....she runs like a top but the deck is rotted out...trying to find a replacement deck (part number 7501002) (part number one on parts listing). A good clean, used deck, not too rusty would work for me and I am willing to pay a reasonable fee for it. I hate throwing things away. Anyone with one of these with trashed motor etc who wants to give the deck a new home?

Attachments

• mower 22965X8B .pdf
    886.3 KB · Views: 7

Hi My name is Robert and I have a Murray riding mower that I inherit when I bought this three acre property which has issues as well but I will post that later. My main concern is getting my ol reliable back an running again and that is my Murray 5.75 Quantum push mower. the rope won't retract but have manage to get that to work, and what I mean by that is before I put it back together I tried and the rope wound back in the pulley, now the issue is when I pulled the rope it locks up and won't let the rope retract. I've post the same message but I guess I was in the wrong area. If you have any suggestion on how to resolve this please feel free to let me know what I am doing wrong

R

rfds

Hi, my name is bob.

I have a murray 405000x8E riding mower; have had it about 10 years or so; has never failed me ..until....

I went out to start it today and nothing...turn the key and not a sound; so I went and bought a new battery; put the batter in and still the same result.
Turn the key and nothing...not really sure where to start.

any help / guidance would be appreciated.

thanks!

B

blues124

Greetings!
I was given a Murray model 42828X8B for free as a pet project. The owner said it hasn't run in 4 years, but I think that's an exaggeration. The "Mfg. Date" is 96057 = 1996?
The engine (Tecumseh Enduro OHV16) appears to be in decent shape, but the body has quite a bit of rust since it was stored outside. I haven't tried to start it - I know that could do damage. The gas tank was flooded with water, but the engine oil appears old but OK. I'm sure I'll be posting several requests for assistance in the near future. Speaking of which, the owner didn't have the key. I assume this is no big deal; I can either 'hotwire' a new switch into it, or maybe turn it with a screwdriver. :)
Any advice, warnings, etc before starting this project would be appreciated. I don't intend to sink a lot of money into it, but I don't mind the manual labor and am pretty good with engines.
-Steve
2014-09-29 18.25.32.jpg2014-09-29 18.26.56.jpg2014-09-29 18.24.48.jpg2014-09-29 18.24.34.jpg2014-09-29 18.23.17.jpg

K

KellysKans

Hi just joined. I am a scrapper but I decided to keep my latest find and maybe start a collection of them. I picked this up yesterday for free, today I bolted a plow to it, but am having issues getting it started. I can't get a click a whirrr or even a spike on the ammometer. It had no plug when I got it and I went to autozone and got what I think was the right one (would it do anything if sparkplug wasn't there?) Its a 12hp commercial industrial motor by briggs and Stratton. Tractor is model 40608a. I also got a tow behind spreader, if I can get it started I'm going to reinforce frame and use to clear some driveways by me. The pic of wire was disconnected when I got it not sure where it goes to 20141230_161604.jpg20141230_161554.jpg20141230_161614.jpg20141230_112928.jpg20141230_112914.jpg

Boobala

Boobala

Just joined the Murray Forum today, I just bought a 2004 Murray Select with 46in. deck & Briggs 21 H.P. Intek Twin cyl. , in process of TOTAL rebuild , wife wants to kill me over it but she lets me stay out of trouble tinkering with my toys. I have actually bought a strong engine which is attached to a set of tires and a bunch of metal that the wife says would be a great boat anchor ...... God I love her !! got plenty of photos to share ( when I learn how to upload them ) Ive done a ton of research on my particular model but also learned a lot from places on-line too. Just replaced the transaxle BRAND NEW - $ 79.00 + S&H ( about $100.00 total ) , talk about luck finding parts ..... replacing the Variator pulley assy too , ( $ 185.00 NEW ) REALLY lucky on that part. ( usually a $220.00 to $285.00 item ) Anyway , will try to update my story soon and hope to contribute some info. to help others , 1 tip for now.. a FRAM # 3614 oil filter works fine on this engine , ( about $4.00 at Walmart ) beats the hell out of a $ 12.00 B&S anyday !!

B

Bhop

My name is Buck, I bought a used murray 46581x92 it ran great for two seasons then started having problems. I've replaced the deck belts and cleaned carb and intake. It runs ok now but I need to replace the drive belt and somehow refill the hydrostatic trans. Problem is its a 2000 model and murray.com is no help and I can only find exploded parts diagrams and I need actual manuals.

Boobala

Boobala

Welcome Buck, Sorry to tell you that Murray NEVER made service manuals for their equipment, just the few adjustments in the owners guide. But you can learn a lot from this site, the folks here have a lot of info, and are very helpful. Sorry for not being of any assistance, hoping things work out for you . later Boobala ..:welcome:

S

SeniorCitizen

My name is Buck, I bought a used murray 46581x92 it ran great for two seasons then started having problems. I've replaced the deck belts and cleaned carb and intake. It runs ok now but I need to replace the drive belt and somehow refill the hydrostatic trans. Problem is its a 2000 model and murray.com is no help and I can only find exploded parts diagrams and I need actual manuals.

**********************************************************************************************
All Murray owner / operator manuals I've ever seen tells how to change belts.

Being the Murray transaxles are considered non-servicable I doubt you'll find that information in their manual. As Boobala mentioned, maybe someone on the forum can help. I have a Murray but never considered transaxle maintenance so I can't help you with that. Sorry

Attachments

Boobala

Boobala

Hey Buck ......... forgot I had this in my files, don't know if it pertains to your particular trans. but check it out.

http://www.wfmfiles.com/download/Te...m_-_Transmissions_&_Differentials(691218).pdf

Also ........ goto to ( surpluscenter.com ) enter ( transaxles in the search bar ) theres trannys in there that may work for you.......... thats where I bought mine ( see my ALBUMS ......( My Project & My Project Part 2 ) hoping this may help ........ Boobala .........:smile:

Boobala

Boobala

Just wondering why this nice welcome is'nt a sticky on ALL the other forums ? could I suggest ..... you direct NEW visitors to the stickys in the forum SITE DISCUSSION , man it sure would have helped me early on, I'm still learning to navigate the site , other than that ...... I LUUUUUVVV the site , GREAT people, GREAT info. and ALWAYS interesting ........ Boobala :thumbsup:

S

STAR

Hi guys!

I have just joined this site. I am from the Gold Coast Australia and live on two plus acres. I have an old 2000 model Victa / Murray ride on garden tractor (* Lawn mower )

The model number is VRO 4216HX The VRO stands for I think, Victa ride on. At the time Murrays made the mower in the US and rebranded them Victa which is the name of the famous Aussie mower.

I have the original owners manual and was looking for a Workshop manual. I see one of your forum members has stated that Murrays never produced a Workshop manual only the Owners manual which at least has line drawings.

We changed the motor from 16.5 hp to a 17hp about ten years ago and it still starts first time every time. I keep wearing out belts so would like to tighten up and get things running a bit smoother if possible.

I am not real mechanically minded but have a workshop so tend to tinker and it seems to get me by.

At the moment, the push pedal is very loose in the forward position and no go. But when I put it in reverse works ok. Trying to see a diagram of who it is supposed to look, I am guessing something has dropped off, because I cannot see where the problem is.

Hope you guys can point me in the right direction.

Seeing a lot of these mowers, regardless of the brands, run on similar systems, maybe somebody can direct me to a decent workshop manual { free is good, but if I have to pay, so be it. )

Thanks

Pete

W

WAM

I am brand new to this site and would like to start with a post but am lost in how to do it but will try.
I am the owner of several Lawn Tractors but have a request regarding a 1996 Murray 42" mower, Model 82816B powered with a Tecumseh Engine Model OHV16-204212B. I am in need of the lower Crankshaft Oil Seal. The seal has
538744 CR USA stamped into the race. The number seems to have no value to Chicago Rawhide or any on-line parts house. If someone has a recommended vendor or replacement part number I would be grateful in you sharing it. I am reluctant to remove the seal for exact measurements as a leaking seal is better than no seal at all but it approx. 2.1" OD and the ID is approx. 1.6".

BlazNT

BlazNT

Google search with part number 36301

google.com/search?q=36301&oq=36301&aqs=chrome..69i57&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#q=tecumseh+36301

B

bertsmobile1

Hi guys!

I have just joined this site. I am from the Gold Coast Australia and live on two plus acres. I have an old 2000 model Victa / Murray ride on garden tractor (* Lawn mower )

The model number is VRO 4216HX The VRO stands for I think, Victa ride on. At the time Murrays made the mower in the US and rebranded them Victa which is the name of the famous Aussie mower.

I have the original owners manual and was looking for a Workshop manual. I see one of your forum members has stated that Murrays never produced a Workshop manual only the Owners manual which at least has line drawings.

We changed the motor from 16.5 hp to a 17hp about ten years ago and it still starts first time every time. I keep wearing out belts so would like to tighten up and get things running a bit smoother if possible.

I am not real mechanically minded but have a workshop so tend to tinker and it seems to get me by.

At the moment, the push pedal is very loose in the forward position and no go. But when I put it in reverse works ok. Trying to see a diagram of who it is supposed to look, I am guessing something has dropped off, because I cannot see where the problem is.

Seeing a lot of these mowers, regardless of the brands, run on similar systems, maybe somebody can direct me to a decent workshop manual { free is good, but if I have to pay, so be it. )

Thanks

Pete
:welcome:

In the grey headder bar click on forums then click on Murray in the list that appears on the left a bit lower than the headder bar is a gren button that says "Post a new thread". click on it.
In the new window type in a name which represents your problem like "VRO 4216HX eats belts + loose motion control "

Then explain exactly what is happening with your belts ( which one also helps ) and what you pedal actually does.
We only know what you tell us so explain it as you would to a blind person.

BlazNT

BlazNT

Hi guys!

Thanks

Pete

Found your model number but it is of no use. No information on it at all.
Model number 46575X88

S

STAR

:welcome:

In the grey headder bar click on forums then click on Murray in the list that appears on the left a bit lower than the headder bar is a gren button that says "Post a new thread". click on it.
In the new window type in a name which represents your problem like "VRO 4216HX eats belts + loose motion control "

Then explain exactly what is happening with your belts ( which one also helps ) and what you pedal actually does.
We only know what you tell us so explain it as you would to a blind person.

Thank you for your reply.

Pete

S

STAR

Found your model number but it is of no use. No information on it at all.
Model number 46575X88

Thanks for the effort.

Pete

BlazNT

BlazNT

46573x92a This is the model number for the US version of your Mower. Happy hunting.

J

JayColo

Hello,
I don't currently own a Murray, but am looking to buy a 96 30" rear engine model 30545 and will be posting a few questions about it.
Cheers,
Jay in Colorado

Boobala

Boobala

Hello,
I don't currently own a Murray, but am looking to buy a 96 30" rear engine model 30545 and will be posting a few questions about it.
Cheers,
Jay in Colorado

WELCOME ...... to start off, here's a place you can find parts lists for various makes of mowers, you will need your model number.......
I'm sure you will enjoy your visits to LMF..... Best of luck ......... Boobala ...... :thumbsup: .....:welcome:

http://www.ereplacementparts.com/mu..._17888.html?osCsid=3rge4jfaocark8bht32ootpbb4

J

Jmoxie

I just acquired a neighbors old Murray 16HP 42" lawn tractor more of a project for my son and I than anything. I will try to post a few pictures. There is no serial number tag that I can find on this one so any ideas would be great.

20160911_174745.jpgTecumseh OHV 16hp.jpg

BlazNT

BlazNT

If you still have one they are located either under the seat or in front of the seat just below it.

Boobala

Boobala

As Blaznt stated , look under the seat , some decals hold up better than others due to protection from the elements and cleaning solutions , if you go to my first post in this thread (# 62 ) and click on the link you will get to the murray parts manuals which will show your mower in fairly decent details ..........you can clic on my username and get to my profile page then explore my pics of my 46" murray , I also have a 42" murray , but with a Briggs 17.5 eng. . Once you start researching your machine you will find MOST components are similar to many other models . You will find a lot of info. & help on this site BUT it is important you give your model & eng. numbers when seeking advice, pictures will also help us to help you .......... Best of luck , keep us up-dated , .. Boobala ...:thumbsup:

DSCN1449 (Small).JPG

DSCN1932 (Small).JPG

DSCN1933 (Small).JPG

J

Jmoxie

Thanks,

Yes I looked all over for some markings and found nothing readable. There is a sticker on the rear of the body but it is totally unreadable. I looked at the list of manuals posted on the other thread and found some similar to my machine but not exactly. It looks to be form the 1996 or 1997 timeframe. Those are the only ones I could see that had the same steering gear style.

Thought it might be easier with the name "Limited Edition" on the side of the tractor but I guess that is just a name to catch the eyes of potential buyers.

Thanks for your help.

BlazNT

BlazNT

Take a picture of any stickers you find and post them. Sometimes we can get the pictures to show us there secrets

B

bertsmobile1

Thanks,

Yes I looked all over for some markings and found nothing readable. There is a sticker on the rear of the body but it is totally unreadable. I looked at the list of manuals posted on the other thread and found some similar to my machine but not exactly. It looks to be form the 1996 or 1997 timeframe. Those are the only ones I could see that had the same steering gear style.

Thought it might be easier with the name "Limited Edition" on the side of the tractor but I guess that is just a name to catch the eyes of potential buyers.

Thanks for your help.

Photograph the sticker from a few different angles.
Put the image on your computer then open it in any photo editing application, the free ones do just as good as the expensive ones.
Invert the image ( some times called make negative ) and usually the numbers will jump right out.
If that does not work reduce the brightness and increase the contrast.
If you have school age children, get them to play with it.
If the engine is a Briggs or Tecumseh, post all of the engine numbers as there is a date code in them and if the engine is original that will date the mower.
Armed with that information go Partstree or Jacks small engines or any other site that sells all brands of parts.
Use their parts look up for Murray and the year you got off the engine to find one which is the same as yours.
Most of the mechanical bits are the same only the cosmetic bits changed and of course the transmissions.

Boobala

Boobala

Trevor,
I've just realized this thread is in 3 different places , I don't know if he saw our posts .... I know YOU have run into this problem before when users weren't informed that the thread was moved ....... OH WELL ........:confused2:

J

Jmoxie

I found another thread where the picture of the outside of the mower is what I have. Only difference is the color of the casing of the motor but the motor is still the same Enduro Tecumseh 16hp. He says his model number is 42828x8B

I went to the manual site and it looks like it from 1996. Below are some pics of the sticker that is not readable and the motor plate which is good.

Stciker pic.jpgTecumseh OHV 16hp.jpg

Thanks

As far as problems are steering gear is shot on one side and only steers to the right. Needs a battery and then I will start it up and probably need to rebuild or replace the plastic cap style carb. Then we shall see what else.

For now I just need to know what it is so I can get the correct parts to move forward.

BlazNT

BlazNT

That is not the sticker. It is just the adhesive left behind. Someone took it off.

Boobala

Boobala

Jmoxie;
Here's a few links to check out. It appears you need a new steering sector gear and the problem is, ... it seems to be unavailable
EXCEPT in a steering REPLACEMENT KIT ( saw @ Ereplacementparts -$ 115.+ ) BUT saw it on E-Bay $ 47.00+ ( and another for $39.00+ ) Also you should find some kind of label or plate on your engine somewhere ......check the entire motor carefully ( especially on the engine shroud ( cover ) you need the engine info to get the correct parts for it .

http://www.ereplacementparts.com/mu...t-lawn-tractor-parts-c-17887_17888_29105.html

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Murray-Lawn-Mower-Steering-Sector-part-402075-/350239236517

https://www.partstree.com/parts/mur...murray-42-lawn-tractor-1996-walmart/steering/

http://www.ereplacementparts.com/aftermarket_info.php?replacement=1749064&replacementfor=312308

HOPE this helps ya buddy ........ Boobala ......:thumbsup:

P>S> BEFORE ( if ordering from E-Bay ) be sure you study the pics of what you are ordering ....COMPARE BEFORE you buy
I noticed several models with different P/N s

J

Jmoxie

Thanks for the replies.

I will let you know how things unfold.

Here is the Tecumseh info-
Tecumseh 16 hp Enduro.JPG

Boobala

Boobala

Thanks for the replies.

I will let you know how things unfold.

Here is the Tecumseh info-
View attachment 29868

HERE'S a link to your engine manual for parts .......

http://www.mymowerparts.com/pdf/Tecumseh-Engine-Parts-Manuals/Models_OHV15_OHV16_OHV17/

you have to scroll down the list to your engine model then click on it , B.T.W. what part of Fl. you in ..? I'm 20 mi. E. of Ocala

Anyway best of luck , keep us up to date ........Boobala ...:cool2:

BlazNT

BlazNT

DOM should mean 1996 24th week for engine.

Boobala

Boobala

Did some more research ........in case you're lookin for the carb. ........ should be P/N 640034

CHECK the pics (on left side ) in these Amazon ads ,

https://www.amazon.com/CARBURETOR-Tecumseh-640330A-640072A-640034A/dp/B00UHXX63I

https://www.amazon.com/640330-640330A-Tecumseh-Carburetor-Solenoid/dp/B00LRTPGDE

these are cheap compared to some of the other sites I normally deal with ....... (ereplacementparts.com) ( partstree.com)
(repairclinic.com) (equipatron.com) and a really good FLORIDA based outfit ....... (sjmparts.com) BY ALL MEANS AVOID (psep.biz) took me a month to get parts, poor customer serv. no tracking etc.
it's probably cheaper to replace the carb. than rebuilding it ( if you need a carb ) Boobala :thumbsup:

Boobala

Boobala

Catherine or Muhammad,

Shouldn't the posts # 71 thru 77 of this forum on (pg. 8) be posted with this users post ( Jmoxie ) im the Murray forums along with his other post ( Title - Identification and part help )...... it's crazy going between two forums on the same subject matter , info is getting crossed over...??? .....Boobala ....:confused2:

Hope I'm not being out of line here ......only trying to help make things easier !

J

Jmoxie

sorry for that my fault. I started a different thread and will put everything in there for my mower restore. Thanks for your help

D

drdodge

New guy, new to Murray, and need help

Hi all,, , after having Cub Cadets, I ended up with a Murray,, its a 12.5 brigs, 40 inch cut, runs great, problem is, somebody hit something with the deck , and did a hard number on it, on the right side, if its all the way up, it hits the rear tire, also the cutting is awful, the model number is 40702X92A, and I cant seem to find that number on any site, now,, from my years on automotive fourms, ive found I get more help asking , than by looking, ill post a pic of it tomorrow,, other than needing a deck, its nice, thanks all

P

Pumper54

D

drdodge

Dang, I hit google at least 20 times, and never seen this,, thank you, and as I thought, I have to go used,, :thumbdown:

Boobala

Boobala

Dang, I hit google at least 20 times, and never seen this,, thank you, and as I thought, I have to go used,, :thumbdown:

Tenn. is where Murray USED to be built before B&S took them over, should find plenty of used in your area ..cost of complete new or even the deck shell has to be in orbit !! here's something to help start a search ... best of luck ......Boobala ..:thumbsup:

https://www.google.com/search?q=mowergraveyard&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

G

gene_stl

Greetings
I just moved to a new house with a larger lot. I had my 1998 Scott's (by Murray) repaired. The Kohler(20 hp Command) responded just gorgeously to a tune up and I had a brand new deck on hand for it. It needed a new transmission and I normally would not have invested that much in it but 1) I did have a brand new unused 52 inch deck 2) I have a tow behind vacuum which is already all rigged up and ready to go and 3) The Kohler Command 20 hp engine really is running beautifully. So I popped for the transmission. I also bought a Hustler Flip up 54 inch too. It cuts much better and gets stuck less when it rains which it has been doing here too much (st. louis)

If anyone has any ideas about how to raise the deck height on a regular lawn rider I would be interested. I was thinking maybe get some bigger tires and also make some raising brackets for the guide wheels. The height adjustments are like swing arms. Maybe fabricate a set of shorter ones that will carry the mower deck higher. Anyone ever done that???

Gene

BlazNT

BlazNT

You can not really raise the deck. The frame and belt angle all get in the way. Now taller tires will work just fine, Just remember that you only get 1/2 height of the tire. So if you go from 18" to 20" you will only raise the mower 1". You also have to take into account front tires and an angle you may have to make up for on the deck.

P

Pumper54

BlazNT,

Wonder what it would take to put together a "lift kit" for a mower. I figure an extension for the engine pulley shaft to keep everything lined up and some kind of drop axle for the front end. Mmmmmm what to do, what to do?
Tom

BlazNT

BlazNT

I have actually thought of it. Not going crazy like the ones on youtube but an inch or two.

P

Pumper54

BlazNT,
That's what I was thinking, nothing outrageous, just a bit more ground clearance for the deck.
Tom

BlazNT

BlazNT

You can block the rear end easily. One inch blocks and longer bolts. Now for the front end, I am not really sure what to do.

bobthewoodbutcher

bobthewoodbutcher

I used to hang out at the snapper forum but my snapper is gone. I just picked up a Sears( not craftsman) and the original owner said it was made by Murray I have the manual from sears , it is a model 536.255113 but I cannot find any references to that number on the net. It looks like a MURRAY. Anyway, should i be on the craftsman/sears site or here?

Boobala

Boobala

TRY this link ... it appears you DO have a CRAFTSMAN .... :confused2:

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/mod...odelSearch&q=536.255113&searchTerm=536.255113

If NOT your machine ...post some pics ..!!!

bobthewoodbutcher

bobthewoodbutcher

I used to hang out at the snapper forum but my snapper is gone. I just picked up a Sears( not craftsman) and the original owner said it was made by Murray I have the manual from sears , it is a model 536.255113 but I cannot find any references to that number on the net. It looks like a MURRAY. Anyway, should i be on the craftsman/sears site or here?

thanks Boobala
That is my manual so I guess it qualifies as a Craftsman. I think I will sign up for the craftsman forum but I suspect the Murray Forum will be more beneficial since Murray built the thing for Craftsman

I have not been on this site since I sold my Snapper a couple of years ago so I am having trouble posting pictures and up dating my profile...bear with me I'll get it straightened out

BlazNT

BlazNT

For everyone reference.
502 Murray Ohio http://www.murrayinc.com
536 Western Tool & Stamping (Before AMF Lawn & Garden Div.)
538 AMF and or Murray

Boobala

Boobala

thanks Boobala
That is my manual so I guess it qualifies as a Craftsman. I think I will sign up for the craftsman forum but I suspect the Murray Forum will be more beneficial since Murray built the thing for Craftsman

I have not been on this site since I sold my Snapper a couple of years ago so I am having trouble posting pictures and up dating my profile...bear with me I'll get it straightened out

I don't think you have to worry about posting on both forums THIS site is quite forgiving and IF they decide to move your posts they inform ya !!

B

BillinCT

I'm Bill in CT. I just inherited my grandmothers 1993 38" Murray. I was looking to purchase a riding mower, but I guess I don't have to now.

Model 38703X15A

W

waterboywt3wd2

Hello, I am new to the Murray Forum. My name is Dave, I live in Ontario Canada and my user name is waterboywt3wd2. I have a Murray Widebody LT lawn tractor and am looking for some advise. I am not sure if I am using the site properly so let me know if there this message is received and in the correct way.

S

Steve1999

Just joined. I have a Murray 17 hp, 42" mower with hydrostatic drive. Currently rebuilding deck and then need to fix brake and change hydro fluid.

T

tlp

Hello, I just joined the forum. I'm retired, and use these riders as sort of a hobby. I have several lawn tractors i use around the place. 1.- a Murray 42" wide body automatic purchased in 2001. 2- Sears 38" lawn tractor. 3- a Murray 40" with a light duty front end fork lift. I have only used it in the 100-130 lb range. Have also used it to pull wood fence post cement slugs out of the ground. works great and saves a ton of time. 4- Roper 38" that I converted to electric, which is my favorite mower to use now. I have about 1/2 acre of grass to mow and it is really nice to use with the noise level way down compared to the gas units- enough for now, I enjoy the forun.

W

wyatt1954

Murray M115-38 riding mower

where do springs connect to deck and pulleys on a m115-38 deck> Can anyone upload pictures of a working deck for m115-38 take a picture showing the spring connections on the 2014 murray m115-38 riding mower

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

Re: Murray M115-38 riding mower

where do springs connect to deck and pulleys on a m115-38 deck> Can anyone upload pictures of a working deck for m115-38 take a picture showing the spring connections on the 2014 murray m115-38 riding mower

Let me look something up for you .........

Plus Tard ............

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

Ok I found a video for you to watch ........

Hope this helps ........ Let us know how it turns out..........

https://youtu.be/HDdTIH9uBuQ

bugdewde

bugdewde

New Member … East Tennessee.
Long-time Murray owner.
Bought my first Murray rider brand new in '98 at Walmart. 17.5 HP opposed twin & 46" cut hydrostatic drive.
Model # 46573x92A
Still have all the manuals and diagrams for it...……..
Owned it for 20 years. Amazing flathead engine ran like a top and never gave me any major mechanical issues …. One starter, a few solenoids, an ignition switch, a coil and an occasional carb disassembly to clear out the cruddy ethanol gas goo.
Mind you, this mower sat under a shed for the first 3 years of ownership, then it sat outside, uncovered (except the hood vents) for the remaining 17 years.
Right up until the day some scum-bag stole it out of my yard. Admittedly, it sat next to the road for a few days when the coil over-heated and it died. Which it did often. But I'd just let it cool, and go back and fire her off and finish up.

Here's the old '98
98.jpg

Rather than go buy an new mower, I decided to find a similar mower …. since I was well-versed in keeping it running …. and I had a spare deck, full of decent parts (spindles, pulleys and belts).

Enter the new mower ….. I believe it's a 2002 model ….. but this one has an OHV V-twin (20 HP).
Model # 465603x92B
Manufacture date code: 02014
Sadly, I do not have any manuals or diagrams for this one.

1109181605.jpg

Runs and mows great! I keep this one in a wooden shed, now that I've moved to a place with a shed out back.... lol. Plan on keeping it a long time as well.

I'll be asking a few questions concerning this new-fangled OHV V-Twin …. lol. I'm not familiar with the fuel pump operation or the low oil switch (which is unplugged). …. but everything else seems to be just like my old '98.

R

reubj

Murray Lawn General circa 1998. Still doing the job!

bugdewde

bugdewde

Just a quick update ….. while scalping the yard and mowing rocks, I unearthed a larger rock than normal with the front of the deck and it went to town on the 3 blades, chewing them up beyond "repair". It also cracked a spindle housing.

busted blades.jpg

Also ripped the leading wheel mount a bit from the deck.

Luckily, as stated earlier, why I bought a similar mower like the one I had from '98 to '18 …… I have a spare deck, loaded with decent parts.
Simply swapped a spindle and 3 old mulcher blades on (after straightening & sharpening them a bit). Also added a good amount of grease and she's back in business...………

That was a few weeks ago …..

Today, the starter solenoid crapped out. Local mower shop "should" have one … fingers crossed. 3-pole solenoid. So hopefully, they're maybe at the local Lowe's or hardware store ????

bugdewde

bugdewde

Local parts store had a matching 3-pole solenoid (Husqvarna) that fit & worked perfectly.

Here's what running over a spool of trimmer string will do..... Locked up the blades in an instant.
0725191915.jpg

In-action shot of Mom's place that had been neglected for a 3 weeks. Grass was so high the blades would lock up when the deck clogged up. Had to go real slow AND make several passes & cross-cuts to distribute the clumps.....
What a great mower!!!!
0726191703.jpg

0726191347.jpg

F

FPlante92

Evenin everyone, wife and I just bought a house and the seller left the riding mower behind. Runs like a dream and its in decent shape, all I know about it is it says Murray Select on the side, has a 42" deck and model number under the seat is MS 18542.

Engine fires right up and it has the automatic transmission. I dont know anything about riding mowers, but I do know the front tires probably shouldnt be severely toe'd out about 2-3" lol.
When i went on the company site it claims this mower has a 16 inch turning radius.....Thats not the case with this particular one, Im closer to 6 feet.
Im hoping someone here can point me in the right direction to what could possibly be wrong? I am very mechanically inclined and I took a look at the tie rods, but they have a few funky bends in them that im not 100% sure are supposed to be there since I dont know what a factory one looks like. And they also dont have any sort of adjustment on them like my trucks have, is there somewhere i can get replacements? Or is there something entirely different that could be the issue? Like I said before i know nothing about riding mowers, and obviously the steering system is a lot different to the cars and trucks im accustomed to working on.

Thanks in advance for any help!

F

FPlante92

Oh man if this is the answer ill be over the moon! When i saw the toe out i instantly thought "oh ill adjust the tie rods" then i looked and though "oooooh this is new"
And when i saw the price of new rods i was less than thrilled. Im working the night shift right now but when my relief shows up and I get home thatll be the first thing i check out!
Are there any other small things like that that may contribute? My yard is just under and acre so id prefer to have the mower down as short a time as possible lol

B

bertsmobile1

That code is not one I am familiar with.
However if it has a Briggs engine in it the first 2 digits of the serial number will be the year ,
From that I would go to jacks web page https://www.jackssmallengines.com/
and click on the parts look up and when the screen redraws click on Murray.
That will bring up the Murray mowers by year page.
Select the year from the engine ( hoping it has not been changed ) then Lawn & garden then riding mowers.
Now right click/ shift click etc to open in a new tab on lawn tractors then the deck size .
After that pick any model you like, most will be the same steering wise.

Depending upon just how old the mower is it might have a peerless box and a fixed real axel, thus no diff thus very wide turning radius .
You actually steer these going backwards ( like a reverse park ) to get the tightest turns.

As for the drag links, yes they all have funny bends and no you can never bend them back to be straight.
You will see that the bends are to allow the front axel to pivot and the steering rods to clear the deck & belts.

The worst case you will need to cut the one that is too long and fit a threaded sleeve to adjust them.
If it is old then it will have adjustable tie rod ends & again I fit them to a lot of mowers that have non adjustable steering rods.

When the front wheel runs into a rut on full lock the mower is quite capable of bending the rods way out of adjustment.
The pivot bush ( or lack there of ) in the front cross member can allow the front member to roll when you turn which makes things worse.

Back in the days when people would pay an honest amout for a riding mower so there was profit in making them Murray was one of the names behind the big brand names that you recognise today.

F

FPlante92

That code is not one I am familiar with.
However if it has a Briggs engine in it the first 2 digits of the serial number will be the year ,
From that I would go to jacks web page https://www.jackssmallengines.com/
and click on the parts look up and when the screen redraws click on Murray.
That will bring up the Murray mowers by year page.
Select the year from the engine ( hoping it has not been changed ) then Lawn & garden then riding mowers.
Now right click/ shift click etc to open in a new tab on lawn tractors then the deck size .
After that pick any model you like, most will be the same steering wise.
The list only goes up to 2017, im assuming the "18" in my model number means its a 2018?

Depending upon just how old the mower is it might have a peerless box and a fixed real axel, thus no diff thus very wide turning radius .
You actually steer these going backwards ( like a reverse park ) to get the tightest turns.
it definetely does not have a rear diff if memory serves, I havent paid much attention to the rear end so this is another thing I will confirm when I get off duty. But I did notice on the short drive I took that the rear wheels dont seem to be locked together.

As for the drag links, yes they all have funny bends and no you can never bend them back to be straight.
You will see that the bends are to allow the front axel to pivot and the steering rods to clear the deck & belts.
Got it, seemed strange to me at the start, but that explanation makes sense!

The worst case you will need to cut the one that is too long and fit a threaded sleeve to adjust them.
If it is old then it will have adjustable tie rod ends & again I fit them to a lot of mowers that have non adjustable steering rods.
Hopefully the new bushings previously mentioned will fix the issue, if not Ill break out the welder!

When the front wheel runs into a rut on full lock the mower is quite capable of bending the rods way out of adjustment.
The pivot bush ( or lack there of ) in the front cross member can allow the front member to roll when you turn which makes things worse.

Back in the days when people would pay an honest amout for a riding mower so there was profit in making them Murray was one of the names behind the big brand names that you recognise today.
Well i have looked up the similar models currently for sale and the price point is far and away below the John deeres, Craftsman, and Husqvarnas with the same general equipment and apparent quality!

B

bertsmobile1

Well i have looked up the similar models currently for sale and the price point is far and away below the John deeres, Craftsman, and Husqvarnas with the same general equipment and apparent quality!

Briggs & Stratton bought the remains of Murray from the liquidators
They have sold the rights to the brand name to a Chinese factory so the Murrays you see now days are fully imported.
I can buy them for $ 435 (US) on the wharf in China if I buy 250 or more.
Down here they are sold through stock & station shops for $1999 ( AUS )
A quality Honda self propelled is $ 2200 so I would not open my wallet for a new Murray.
Briggs import a similar model from the same factory that they market under the Victa brand name here and they are trash as well.
Everything looks good in the showroom it is when you get on the floor & see things like how the deck is supported & the deck height control that you see where the corners were cut.

However that has little to do with your mower
It is not a 2018 mower with that number 1991 perhaps.
Since the 90's the model number started with the deck size so a 42" deck will be 42???x??
This is why we asked for the numbers off the engine.

F

FPlante92

Briggs & Stratton bought the remains of Murray from the liquidators
They have sold the rights to the brand name to a Chinese factory so the Murrays you see now days are fully imported.
I can buy them for $ 435 (US) on the wharf in China if I buy 250 or more.
Down here they are sold through stock & station shops for $1999 ( AUS )
A quality Honda self propelled is $ 2200 so I would not open my wallet for a new Murray.
Briggs import a similar model from the same factory that they market under the Victa brand name here and they are trash as well.
Everything looks good in the showroom it is when you get on the floor & see things like how the deck is supported & the deck height control that you see where the corners were cut.

However that has little to do with your mower
It is not a 2018 mower with that number 1991 perhaps.
Since the 90's the model number started with the deck size so a 42" deck will be 42???x??
This is why we asked for the numbers off the engine.

Makes sense, Ill make sure to post up the numbers once I get home in about 4 hours! I feel like if the mower was the same age as me it would definitely show more signs of aging.
Just from looking around at it, it seems to be pretty dang new.

KTECH

KTECH

Hey guys new to the Murray Nation.my name is KTECH good to be apart of this with you all

D

Dhughes

Hello everyone, my name is Dewayne and I'm from upstate South Carolina with a Murray Select model 465306x8 that I'd like to get a little help with.

Lizards5614

Lizards5614

Heyo I am Nathanael with a late 90's Murray (I think). Just one issue, the arm is too long for the gear shifter. Any suggestions? Text me at 804-205-2582, Thanks

J

Jim131

Hi, Jim from atl. Had my Murray for 26 years. Love the hydrostatic drive. Cheers!

O

oldfart2

hello just signed for help with a weedeater i have it's a murray. :unsure:

E

EttienneT

Hello from South Africa!

My name is Ettienne,my wife and I recently bought a small mower dealership, in our hometown of Richards Bay.

It's been a roller coaster to say the least, 3 weeks after we started operating, our governmeent shut the country down for 5 weeks. Who would have believed that such a thing could ever happen.

Anyway, I've learn't a great deal, in a short few months, about a wide variety of things, and we've had amazing successes, but also a few mishaps.

Thanks for everyone who give their time and shares advice and experience, to rookies like me!

Stay safe everyone!

T

Travis_mcmeen

Hey all! I've posted here before, and just now got the ol Murray finally running! Took a lot of time, but im more than happy with the result... She's a worker, not a shower lol. Ill post a video on here from youtube with all the steps i have taken. Umm i still need a couple things for her, new starter, maybe fiber-glassing a hood. Also i have a buddy that has an old stack that i may put into the exhaust system. Let me know what you guys think of her.

Video

View attachment 5794
I have a 98 murray widebody mud mower it's a beast that's for sure

B

Bammer

Hi, just got a Yard King 18/46 or is it 46/18?:ROFLMAO: I'm going to need help . :)

Model 46370X5C

Mfg date - Serial 95095 - 064953

What can you tell me?

troy-built

troy-built

Hi, Thanks for having me. I'm sure I can learn a lot on here.

LyndseyH

LyndseyH

Um hi! My lawnmower doesn't have a name lol unless you wanna call him murray. Anyways my husband got it for Father's Day 2yrs ago. Let someone borrow it and came back without the flap. Now I really can't afford a new flap atm. Can it run without it and how do we do that? It's the 500E series serial # 18-0328-61-99692. Any advice or expertise would be greatly appreciated. My yards becoming a jungle.

troy-built

troy-built

Um hi! My lawnmower doesn't have a name lol unless you wanna call him murray. Anyways my husband got it for Father's Day 2yrs ago. Let someone borrow it and came back without the flap. Now I really can't afford a new flap atm. Can it run without it and how do we do that? It's the 500E series serial # 18-0328-61-99692. Any advice or expertise would be greatly appreciated. My yards becoming a jungle.
What kind of flap? I'd start a new thread if I were you....

S

SoDakScott

Hi, I'm new to the forum. This is a picture of the Murray that I have. The Model tag is all worn off so I'm having a tough time finding parts. Can anyone tell me what the Model and Year of this mower would be? Thanks in advance Scott

Attachments

B

bertsmobile1

If you post the engine make and full serial number that will help to narrow down things.
If the tag is still there but faded to the point you can not read it. take several photos of the tag at different angles
Then drop the images into a photo editing app and play with the contrast
A digital camera sees stuff like sort of shinny white on not so shinny white that our eyes can not see.
Another trick is to invert the colours ( make negative in some apps )

J

Jaymo

Been a member here since 2012. Haven't been around for a good long time.
Fast forward to last Wednesday. I was working on a forklift at a customer who was downsizing.
They were selling their second warehouse to someone, because they don't need it anymore.
As a result, they don't need a lawn mower anymore.
The owner had a 1997 (according to the date code on the B&S 12HP flathead) Murray 12hp 30" RER.
Bagging attachment is long gone. Water ballast tank is gone (hangers for it are still there).
Drive belt is cracked and broken. Deck belt is probably cracked. Battery is missing.
Gas tank is dry as a bone and no varnish is visible. What vapors are still present in the tank smell like good gas.
They were going to put it in the scrap metal dumpster, along with a bunch of other stuff.
Honestly, I can't believe it fit in the back of my short wheelbase service van (Nissan NV).

I haven't found a model number on the seat or back of the mower yet. Looks like a data tag was once on the back of the mower, but has been obliterated.
The mower was always stored indoors, hence, I thought it was a lot newer than it was when I first saw it.
I've named it Mike Wazowski, since it's green and has a cyclops headlight.

I don't know what all the mower needs. I don't know if it was well cared for by whoever operated it.
I don't know if they thought they were Evel Knievel. Right rear tire won't hold air and looks to have a long cut or crack in the sidewall.
Other three tires hold air just fine.
The foam air pre-filter is clogged with GA red clay. I know it needs filter and pre-filter, and battery replaced before trying to start it.
The oil level is halfway between full and low, and does NOT smell like gasoline.
Perhaps it was well cared for? Guess we'll find out.
No pics yet. Will try to get some.
Before I start putting a bunch of money into it, I have to find out:1) Does it run? 2)Does it run well?
3) Does the transaxle work correctly? 4) Does the deck work correctly?
I'll clean the prefilter, hook up a battery of some sort, give it a little fuel, and see if it's a runner before anything else.

Once I learn more, I'll check other items and spend money and time on it as needed.
Yay. Another project.

J

Jaymo

Mike Wazowski is a runner. Put a new battery in it today. Removed the dirty air filter.
Put some gas in the tank. It fired right up. It is running lean. Dies at idle. Pops throughout the RPM range. If I choke it just a little, it smooths out.
Smoked just a little on start up. Not smoking alter warm up.
Deck engages and blade spins. Deck belt is worn and cracked, but at least the deck works.
Next step is to replace the fuel and air filters. Replace the spark plug and drive belt.
Clean and rebuild the carburetor. Or, replace it if its more economical.
Replace the deck belt. Thinking about replacing the headlight with a 35 wat halogen or an LED.
If I only get one headlight, I want it to be bright.

C

cearls87

Hi everyone.

I just purchased my first Murray last night and am very excited to work on it and get it back into mowing condition. It is a 1988 model 8-36566. It did not come with a mowing deck, just the tractor. I am looking for information on what I could/should purchase for a deck for it. It does say on the side of it that it was a 36" deck. I also need a new drive belt for the tractor itself.

After this summer of getting used to it, I plan on stripping it down and restoring it over the winter.

thanks

Chris

L

L0n3s0m3_M0w3r

Probably like many others, a problem and then a search lands you here. I have a Murray MER circa 2003 model # 309029x92B inherited from my Dad. I'm not a big yard guy but the lawn must be mowed right?Murray Mower-Reduced.jpg

cpurvis

cpurvis

Welcome to the forum, but embedded links on your first post may not be a good idea. I'm not going to click on it; maybe others will but I'd recommend they not.

If there's another way of posting the info contained in that link, I'd do it.

L

L0n3s0m3_M0w3r

Welcome to the forum, but embedded links on your first post may not be a good idea. I'm not going to click on it; maybe others will but I'd recommend they not.

If there's another way of posting the info contained in that link, I'd do it.
Edited. Better?

cpurvis

cpurvis

Yes. Thanks!

hgw1956

hgw1956

hgw1956 here. I currently have two.
425001x8A
425303x92B

B

Blke

Hi everyone, I have just acquired a 1989 Murray Yard King 18 hp, 42 “ cut which I am in the process of restoring. After many attempts to acquire either a owner or service manual, I cannot find any. Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

B

Blke

I have a handful of murrays, only oddball is my 90 murray :

Has the rear opening hood setup - when i first got it , i had no idea what the box on the front was for, almost threw it out actually.

It came with a rear bagger hangar, but no bag setup - i actually found the bagger setup at a Restore for $10, minus the bags.

Im just curious on how rare the water boxes are , most ive seen use either front wheel weights or a weight on the front axle.
Hi, I have just acquired a 1989 model very similar to yours. I was wondering if you could send me a pic of the shifting lever because I have only a slight idea what the shifting pattern is.

d4ve.gr4y

d4ve.gr4y

New to forum. I need help...I’m beyond help, but maybe someone can try.

I have a Murray rear engine 30 inch deck with 10 hp Tecumseh.

WIll post needed info in Murray forum.

Glad to be here ! 😀

A

andrewslarge

Hi, I'm new to the forum. This is a picture of the Murray that I have. The Model tag is all worn off so I'm having a tough time finding parts. Can anyone tell me what the Model and Year of this mower would be? Thanks in advance Scott
Probably like many others, a problem and then a search lands you here. I have a Murray MER circa 2003 model # 309029x92B inherited from my Dad. I'm not a big yard guy but the lawn must be mowed right?View attachment 57690

A

andrewslarge

I think it’s mine from Walmart 38515-92A 1998.

J

justplain bill

Hi, I’m Bill, not a mechanic but trying to fix a small engine interest me. I like to learn but at 81 years old, I usually forget what it is that I have learned! I have been a member for over ten years but mostly just observing.
I hope someone will help me solve my problem. Thank you and have a good day.

Just plain bill