Used Fastrak 48" with 19 hp Kawasaki

wbw

Threads
I just ran across a used Hustler Fastrak with a 48' deck and the 19hp Kawasaki motor. Based on the serial number it is an '09, bought in Sept. of '11 and only has 35 hours on the meter. I'm pretty sure I could get it for less than $3000. Hopefully more like $2500. Anyway, what do you folks know about these? I'm assuming that the Kaw is a good motor. Any known problems with this model?

I'm not new to Hustler. I've got an '07 Fastrak with 42" deck and 17hp Kohler single. It's built like a tack but I'm starting to have electrical issues. Also the 42" deck only cuts a path 36" wide. I've measured. So my current Hustler is seven years old and I mow and for roughly 75 to 85 minutes a cut from late March to Early November. (Giving you a rough idea of hours since it has no meter) The 48 I'm considering is five years old but only has 35 hours by the meter. I think it's a good deal if I can get it for close to $2500 and there are no known problems that would be considered a 'show stopper'.

Any thoughts on the Fastrak 48 with Kaw motor will be appreciated.

Edited to add: I've had no problems so far with the hydros or whatever they are called. Are they usually considered reliable or did I luck out so far? I think the hydros on the machine I'm considering are 2800 series. Model number is 928275.

Last edited:

wbw

Threads
So, no one has replied yet. But I have had some time to do some research and I have found that the machine I'm looking at has the ZT2800 Hydros. Now it seems that these are serviceable to some extent (oil and filter changes at least). The 42" Fastrak that I already own has Hydros that are not owner serviceable. My machine has had no problems in that area and I have had to do nothing. How much servicing do the ZT2800s require? How hard is changing the oil and filter on them?

I'm trying to learn as much as I can as quickly as I can before I make an offer on the 48" Fastrak. Or maybe I should just keep what I've got.

Thanks for any input.

Shughes717

Lawn Addict
Threads
I just ran across a used Hustler Fastrak with a 48' deck and the 19hp Kawasaki motor. Based on the serial number it is an '09, bought in Sept. of '11 and only has 35 hours on the meter. I'm pretty sure I could get it for less than $3000. Hopefully more like $2500. Anyway, what do you folks know about these? I'm assuming that the Kaw is a good motor. Any known problems with this model?

I'm not new to Hustler. I've got an '07 Fastrak with 42" deck and 17hp Kohler single. It's built like a tack but I'm starting to have electrical issues. Also the 42" deck only cuts a path 36" wide. I've measured. So my current Hustler is seven years old and I mow and for roughly 75 to 85 minutes a cut from late March to Early November. (Giving you a rough idea of hours since it has no meter) The 48 I'm considering is five years old but only has 35 hours by the meter. I think it's a good deal if I can get it for close to $2500 and there are no known problems that would be considered a 'show stopper'.

Any thoughts on the Fastrak 48 with Kaw motor will be appreciated.

Edited to add: I've had no problems so far with the hydros or whatever they are called. Are they usually considered reliable or did I luck out so far? I think the hydros on the machine I'm considering are 2800 series. Model number is 928275.

I would purchase the 48" fastrack and sell the one you have. Kawi engines are great. $2500 is a great price for that mower. It will take you less time to mow with the larger deck and engine. I have the fx series 20 hp Kawi on my mower with a 48" deck. I can mow my 4.2 acres in 2 hours 15 mins.

Shughes717

Lawn Addict
Threads
The zt2800 hydros are serviceable, and produce more torque than the ezt. Better drive train all the way around on the fastrack 48".

wbw

Threads
Thanks Shughes. Appreciate your input.

If I make a move on this, I'm actually hoping to get it for closer to $2200 or 2300. It's only got 35 hrs on the meter but it's a little weathered looking. And the rubber discharge chute looks like it's got a 10,000 hours on it. Maybe the owner was blind and mowed by brail. Really. You can't believe the way the chute looks for what amounts to one season of mowing. I need to actually operate it a little before I make a decision. But I wanted some experienced input from folks like you.

It's an unusual situation. The mower is at a local dealer but they are showing it as a favor for the owner who is in Florida now. I'm in Maryland. Everything would be done through the owner, not the dealer. If I go for it I'll start at $2000 and hope to get it for 22 or 23.

Shughes717

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks Shughes. Appreciate your input.

If I make a move on this, I'm actually hoping to get it for closer to $2200 or 2300. It's only got 35 hrs on the meter but it's a little weathered looking. And the rubber discharge chute looks like it's got a 10,000 hours on it. Maybe the owner was blind and mowed by brail. Really. You can't believe the way the chute looks for what amounts to one season of mowing. I need to actually operate it a little before I make a decision. But I wanted some experienced input from folks like you.

It's an unusual situation. The mower is at a local dealer but they are showing it as a favor for the owner who is in Florida now. I'm in Maryland. Everything would be done through the owner, not the dealer. If I go for it I'll start at $2000 and hope to get it for 22 or 23.

Sounds like you are being smart about it. If it runs well and the deck it's self is in good condition then it would be the way to go.

wbw

Threads
Sounds like you are being smart about it. If it runs well and the deck it's self is in good condition then it would be the way to go.

When I took a quick look underneath the deck it was obvious that it had never been cleaned in it's 35 hours of use.

If this thing were clean I would be all over it. But the underside of the deck and the chewed up looking discharge chute leave me feeling like it was a rough 35 hours. I wonder if the dealer took the chute off of this machine and swapped it with one from a used machine that they were trying to sell.

I also have to wonder if there are some problems in store due to lack of use. Back in 1978 I bought a 1970 model car with 20,000 original miles. I thought I was getting a cream puff. Well it had several expensive problems because it wasn't driven enough. Oil seals had dried up and caused problems. I can't remember all the details, but I've learned to be wary of machinery that hasn't been used as much as should have.

katit

Threads
I wonder if hour meter was disconnected on this machine.

wbw

Threads
I wonder if hour meter was disconnected on this machine.

I've wondered the same thing. The salesguy (who is making nothing off of this since the deal will be between buyer and owner) told me that it's an '09, bought new in '11 (from that dealer) and was hardly used by the owner, who is now somewhat unstable mentally.

Still not sure what to do. I'll look at it more closely on Tuesday or Wednesday. Trying to learn as much as I can in the meantime.

Shughes717

Lawn Addict
Threads
I've wondered the same thing. The salesguy (who is making nothing off of this since the deal will be between buyer and owner) told me that it's an '09, bought new in '11 (from that dealer) and was hardly used by the owner, who is now somewhat unstable mentally.

Still not sure what to do. I'll look at it more closely on Tuesday or Wednesday. Trying to learn as much as I can in the meantime.

Have you decided on whether you are going to purchase the fastrack yet?