Turbocharging a lawn mower

wineman

Threads
Have any of you used any of the following and what were the results?

Thanks
TBB

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
No idea about that kit but once routed a 1 1/2" hose from the fan shroud to the carb on a 5hp briggs. It did up the top end but was a bear to tune. Had to richen up the main jet for top end and ran rich at partial throttle.

wineman

Threads
No idea about that kit but once routed a 1 1/2" hose from the fan shroud to the carb on a 5hp briggs. It did up the top end but was a bear to tune. Had to richen up the main jet for top end and ran rich at partial throttle.
Thanks. Do you know if you brought up the horsepower?

T

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks. Do you know if you brought up the horsepower?

T
Only top end. This was on a go cart. Even with different gearing the engine would top out right at 6300 rpm. This is with no govenor and wide open throttle. After the tube was connected it topped out about 6700. Didn't help the acceleration so no gain in the midrange and 6500 is about the limit for a stock rod so dumped the idea. It was just a "what if" experiment anyway.

wineman

Threads
Why are you doing this
Hp is Torque x revs
It is a Murray walk behind mower and the grass is very thick and the mower sometimes has trouble getting through it. I have received numerous suggestions to add a turbocharger and get rid of the muffler. I have been told with this being an OVC that it will double the power and that the muffler is taking away power.

Thanks

Farmer Jean

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'd be interested in hearing about it too. I wouldn't use one on my lawn-cutting rigs, but a mud-mower would be fun.

Turbo-Kaboom!

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
A single cylinder governed engine running 3400 rpm would respond to a positive displacement supercharger but you won't get enough exhaust to properly spin a turbo to get any midrange improvement. You need at least a twin cylinder engine for a turbo to work. The kits in your link are for multi cylinder 500cc or bigger engines. Trying to turbocharge a push mower would be very difficult and probably cheaper to just buy a mower with a bigger engine.