Trying to get 190cc Briggs & Stratton to start - with video

Joed756

Threads
  • / Trying to get 190cc Briggs & Stratton to start - with video
Thank you everyone for the replies - a lot of great info here to digest and try. I brought the mower into our trusted local shop last week for a $25 diagnostic (1-week turnaround), so waiting for their response - once I get the mower back (assuming they don't say there is a catastrophic problem), I'll bring it back and start checking all of the steps outlined here (oil, spark, compression). Updates to come soon, sounds like it'll be a fun winter project now that mowing season is pretty much over here in Minnesota :)

Thank you again all!
Mowing week is all done in Minnesota? It seems the diagnostic you're paying for should cover everything mentioned here.

MNnewbie

Threads
Mowing week is all done in Minnesota? It seems the diagnostic you're paying for should cover everything mentioned here.
It’s definitely slowing! Was 35 degrees this morning walking the dog….I might have one more mow left but mostly just to mulch up the leaves!

moparjoe

Threads
Thank you everyone for the replies - a lot of great info here to digest and try. I brought the mower into our trusted local shop last week for a $25 diagnostic (1-week turnaround), so waiting for their response - once I get the mower back (assuming they don't say there is a catastrophic problem), I'll bring it back and start checking all of the steps outlined here (oil, spark, compression). Updates to come soon, sounds like it'll be a fun winter project now that mowing season is pretty much over here in Minnesota :)

Thank you again all!
Several years ago I sold a mower to a guy that was attending college. I started the mower to show him it runs. The next day he brings it back and tells me I sold him a piece of junk, he used it for 30 minutes and it quit running and it wouldn't start. I reach over and take the gas tank cap off and I pointed and said, you have to put gas in the tank. His exact words were, I FEEL SO STUPID. You can just imagine what I was thinking.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Several years ago I sold a mower to a guy that was attending college. I started the mower to show him it runs. The next day he brings it back and tells me I sold him a piece of junk, he used it for 30 minutes and it quit running and it wouldn't start. I reach over and take the gas tank cap off and I pointed and said, you have to put gas in the tank. His exact words were, I FEEL SO STUPID. You can just imagine what I was thinking.
I bet you were in agreement 🤣🤣

maz94

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi all,

I picked up a 2013 Toro Timemaster with 190cc B&S engine yesterday. The seller said it ran fine for years, but it hasn't started in a year since it wasn't winterized in Fall 2022 (there was old gas in it). Price was right so I decided to take a gamble.

So far, I've done the following to try and get it to start:
- drained the old gas and replaced with fresh
- dropped the carb bowl and cleaned the bowl and bolt with carb cleaner
- sprayed some carb cleaner into the carb hole (circled in linked picture)

When I pull to start right after spraying carb cleaner, it makes a short popping noise and blows a little smoke like it wants to start, but I haven't been able to get it to turn over. After a few pulls, nothing happens, not even smoke/popping noise. Video linked below is first pull after spraying carb cleaner with air filter removed.

Video and Carb photo

Would appreciate any help or suggestions! I'm thinking next step would be to order a new carb and possibly spark plug, but really just guessing here.

Thank you!
I would say you need to remove the carb take it apart and clean all the jet holes with carb cleaner, If it hasn't been used the ports are prob. gelled.

SpoolinV70

Threads
It sounds like the engine stops turning as soon as you stop pulling the cord. Obviously you've gone through fuel and spark, but it sounds like it may be a timing issue of some kind. Definitely check that flywheel key too.
Let us know what the shops says once you hear back!

MNnewbie

Threads
Hi everyone - the shop got their estimate back and they said that the engine has a blown head gasket and scoring on the cylinder walls. $950 to replace the engine! Feels wasteful to spend that on the fix - any advice appreciated! Thinking the economically viable options would be to either fix head gasket/replace engine myself or scrap it and find something else.

Attachments

• IMG_9998.jpeg
    IMG_9998.jpeg
    128.2 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

dougand3

Threads
$950 is ridiculous for a push mower engine. Around here, you can find mowers w/ a Briggs 12xxxx engine for $20-$60 that just need a carb cleaning/rebuild or a new carb. I like those engines - have them on multiple mowers.

MNnewbie

Threads
$950 is ridiculous for a push mower engine. Around here, you can find mowers w/ a Briggs 12xxxx engine for $20-$60 that just need a carb cleaning/rebuild or a new carb. I like those engines - have them on multiple mowers.
Thank you - my thoughts as well when I got the estimate back! I don't fault the shop as I think they only use OEM products and this engine is a bit of an outlier I imagine. To your comment, would any Briggs 12xxxx engine bolt in here or are there specific specs I need to look for? Never done an engine swap before but it doesn't seem overly complicated so could be a fun winter project. Thank you!

Reactions: Gil

dougand3

Threads
Most (maybe all) Briggs 12 mower engines will bolt to your deck w/ 3 bolts. The differences will be Autochoke vs primer bulb & others. Some older engines will have a throttle cable to the handle (avoid). Study your IPL 121S02-0130-F1 and compare to potential swap IPLs. I have 126M05, 126T02, 128M05 on mowers.