Trying to get 190cc Briggs & Stratton to start - with video

MNnewbie

Threads
  • / Trying to get 190cc Briggs & Stratton to start - with video
Hi all,

I picked up a 2013 Toro Timemaster with 190cc B&S engine yesterday. The seller said it ran fine for years, but it hasn't started in a year since it wasn't winterized in Fall 2022 (there was old gas in it). Price was right so I decided to take a gamble.

So far, I've done the following to try and get it to start:
- drained the old gas and replaced with fresh
- dropped the carb bowl and cleaned the bowl and bolt with carb cleaner
- sprayed some carb cleaner into the carb hole (circled in linked picture)

When I pull to start right after spraying carb cleaner, it makes a short popping noise and blows a little smoke like it wants to start, but I haven't been able to get it to turn over. After a few pulls, nothing happens, not even smoke/popping noise. Video linked below is first pull after spraying carb cleaner with air filter removed.

Video and Carb photo

Would appreciate any help or suggestions! I'm thinking next step would be to order a new carb and possibly spark plug, but really just guessing here.

Thank you!

dougand3

Threads
The carb bolt probably has both vertical & horizontal holes. Did you run a small wire thru them? Another passage is vertical stem into carb throat - it needs to be patent. Engine model #? Probably on shroud above muffler.
Also, Pull spark plug and sand or file tip, esp between electrodes. With a helper - reconnect plug wire, ground plug side against engine fin and have helper pull cord....see good spark?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Spray carb cleaner directly into the carburetor, where the choke is. Then try to start it. If it runs and dies, you know you still have fuel delivery issue. If not, either a spark or timing issue.

MNnewbie

Threads
The carb bolt probably has both vertical & horizontal holes. Did you run a small wire thru them? Another passage is vertical stem into carb throat - it needs to be patent. Engine model #? Probably on shroud above muffler.
Thank you! I didn’t run any wires through any holes yet. This is the engine: 121S02-0130-F1

MNnewbie

Threads
Spray carb cleaner directly into the carburetor, where the choke is. Then try to start it. If it runs and dies, you know you still have fuel delivery issue. If not, either a spark or timing issue.
Thanks - I did spray carb cleaner into the carb, holding the choke open. Didn’t start. Worth trying starter fluid?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Or gasoline
Some carb/brake parts cleaners are non flammable

MNnewbie

Threads
Hi guys - update here - I spent a couple hours working on it this evening.

Replaced all the following parts with new OEM:
- air filter
- carb
- spark plug

Still wouldn't start with fresh gas. I'm ready to bring to the shop, but worried at what the bill could be. Also thinking about an engine swap.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
One more thing I would check is the flywheel key.
It holds the flywheel in alignment to the crankshaft for proper ignition timing.
All you need to do is to take the engine plastic cover off, and the flywheel nut should be 7/8" socket if I remember right.
You'll see the key and keyway, it should make a perfect square. If not, key sheared, most likely from striking an object.
Having a larger impact gun is helpful in removing the nut. If not you'll need to remove the spark plug wire, to prevent accidental start, and chock the blade so it can't spin when you loosen the nut.

seagiant

Threads
Hi,
Get a small wire and run it up and clear your main jet in the carb and i bet it runs!

MNnewbie

Threads
Hi,
Get a small wire and run it up and clear your main jet in the carb and i bet it runs!
Thanks - I went a step further and got a new carb in, unfortunately still doesn’t run :(