Troy Bilt 2stroke Trimmer won't stay running

94SupraTT

Threads
Here is what the carb looks like. Is it not adjustable? If so what type of tool would I use.

Attachments

• trimmer.jpg
    trimmer.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 74

jeff

Threads
The adjustment screws are under those black caps in the picture. They may be slotted, splined, half round or some other shape. To adjust them, first find out their shape, then you may be able to find the proper tool. O'Rieleys has a tune kit that may work. You can thank the epa for the weird shapes, they think that they can bring about cleaner air by making it difficult to adjust the carbs andhave mandated the strange shapes to the manufacturers.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Can't really see thr tops of the adjustment screws ... but there are several ways that have been used to make adjustment "difficult"....
There were removable caps that covered adjustment screws...
There are also spline screws as covered in this video... HOW TO ADJUST The Carburetor on Weedeater XT260 Grass Trimmer - YouTube

and in this video is shown a way to modify the spline screws to allow for adjustment... How to adjust a 2 cycle Carburetor with "set Locked" Screws - YouTube
both video clips have some good adjustment info... :smile:KennyV

94SupraTT

Threads
The adjustment screws are under those black caps in the picture. They may be slotted, splined, half round or some other shape. To adjust them, first find out their shape, then you may be able to find the proper tool. O'Rieleys has a tune kit that may work. You can thank the epa for the weird shapes, they think that they can bring about cleaner air by making it difficult to adjust the carbs andhave mandated the strange shapes to the manufacturers.

I don't think they are caps. I tried to turn them and was unable to. It looks like some type of tool with some sort of nipple would turn it. I believe it is a Ryobi built motor that was branded Troy Bilt. I could be wrong about all of that though.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It is a special shaped mtd dealer only tool regulated by the EPA. Current regulations prevent the average person or non MTD dealers from owning the tool legally.

94SupraTT

Threads
Can't really see thr tops of the adjustment screws ... but there are several ways that have been used to make adjustment "difficult"....
There were removable caps that covered adjustment screws...
There are also spline screws as covered in this video... HOW TO ADJUST The Carburetor on Weedeater XT260 Grass Trimmer - YouTube

and in this video is shown a way to modify the spline screws to allow for adjustment... How to adjust a 2 cycle Carburetor with "set Locked" Screws - YouTube
both video clips have some good adjustment info... :smile:KennyV
Looks like I'm going to have to do what you posted in second. I have a dremel handy just have to find my disks.

94SupraTT

Threads
It is a special shaped mtd dealer only tool regulated by the EPA. Current regulations prevent the average person or non MTD dealers from owning the tool legally.

That seals it! They are getting dremelled.

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads

That's really annoying. I won't say more -- don't want to violate the "no politics" rule. :2cents:

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
That seals it! They are getting dremelled.

Just to be sarcastic Dremelling is also illegal. Tampering with an emissions control device. carries the same penalties as tampering with a catalytic converter. Change of getting caught 1 %.