Troy-Bilt 2016 Mustang 46" Zero-Turn carburetor problem

jcm618

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Troy-Bilt 2016 Mustang 46" Zero-Turn carburetor problem
I have a 2016 Troy-Bilt 46" Mustang Zero-Turn that i decided to clean the carburetor and ended up with a mower that only goes full speed. Originally I began a project where I was rebuilding the deck but since the mower was recently surging, I decided to clean the carburetor. I took the carb off and didn't take photos, but life got in the way and it was a few days before finishing the project. When I finally decided to put the carb back together, I realized that I wasn't 100% sure where the linkages went back to. I did my best, but now my mower revs up to full speed and I am unable to change it with the throttle lever. I am not sure how to proceed at this point....I think it is a good chance that i didnt hook the linkages back up right, but I am not too sure. What I thought was the idle lever, now no longer moves at all when I move the throttle. I can post photos if necessary, but I am hoping that this is a common problem. I have reset the governor, but I didn't think that was a problem since I only removed the carburetor....and there was no change in the behavior of the motor. Please help as I need to get this mower back up and running as I don't have a lot of free cash to throw at a repair shop.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Post Model & Serial numbers from under seat, thanks Mark

jcm618

Forum Newbie
Threads
Model: 17ADCACT066
Serial: 1D066H10121

I've also uploaded pictures of how I thought it went back together. I only removed the linkages to the carburetor, I never touched the governor springs. For a little more detail on what I did with the carb, I just removed the bowl and float and then cleaned/sprayed out jets and passageways. Is it possible to put it back together in a way that would cause this issue? Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    250.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    258.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    231.6 KB · Views: 6

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Last edited:

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Wow, how about cleaning those engine block cooling fins while you are at it? You have an oily dirt layer all around the block.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
The governor wants to push the throttle linkage towards the slow idle position the more revs you have slash create. Other than that some common sense should kick in and help you.

If you have reset the governor then you should know what you are doing???

jcm618

Forum Newbie
Threads
Wow, how about cleaning those engine block cooling fins while you are at it? You have an oily dirt layer all around the block.
As soon as I get it running again it will get a good bath and oil change. To be fair, I bought this mower from the previous homeowner and it was heavily neglected for years.....I am amazed it runs at all!

jcm618

Forum Newbie
Threads
The governor wants to push the throttle linkage towards the slow idle position the more revs you have slash create. Other than that some common sense should kick in and help you.

If you have reset the governor then you should know what you are doing???
This is where there seems to be the issue. Nothing seems to want to push the throttle lever/idler spring forward and I cannot be sure that I have the linkage in correct position. There is no other obvious connection point for it that makes sense to me. I used a video that covered a governor reset and it seemed pretty straight forward....unclamp idler, full throttle, governer full clockwise, re-clamp governor. I am mechanically inclined but not a small engines repair expert. I have been unable to find a single diagram for this mower that covers the carburetor and governor linkages. Do you have any other advice on where I am going wrong on this linkage?

Last edited:

jcm618

Forum Newbie
Threads
Troy Bilt Manuals above.
I appreciate the links but I have been through these manuals multiple times. I cannot find a single diagram that goes over carburetor or governor. I have seen that there is a lot of crossover between these troy-bilts and MTD....I guess that MTD acquired them some time ago. Do you know if there is a direct equivalent MTD mower to this troy-bilt mustang? Maybe MTD keeps better documentation?

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
These are air cooled engines. If you keep running it like that (filthy), you will most likely damage the engine. Valves, push rods and so on issues. Clean the block like a NEW engine was installed. Then worry about your linkage issue.