Troubleshooting Starting Issue?

LeakyBriggs

Threads
Thanks for the latest information. Working on wrapping my head around the schematics as I'm not that good at it.

One thing I will respectively disagree with is that the PTO should not engage if there is no one in the seat.
Maybe that is what StarTech is explaining above?

Normal operation from the factory has been:
-If the key is in the on position and you're even just standing beside it-pull the PTO button out and the PTO will engage with an audible click. This will occur without being in the seat and the clutch pedal not being depressed.
-If you leave the PTO in the on position in this scenario, and try to start, no power will be sent to the starter even if you're in the seat with the clutch pedal depressed.

My current situation just as a recap:
No start when turning key.
Fuel cutoff solenoid clicks.
PTO does not engage when pulling button out and start switch in on position.
Battery is good.

All the responses, directions, and diagrams have been extremely helpful. Will try to use details from all of them this weekend to see what the problem may be.

Leaky.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
OEM Simplicity Parts are listed above.
Pick up a 12 volt test light at Harbor Freight, Auto Parts Store for troubleshooting. Clip to ground & test continuity at connections should light up.

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
One thing I will respectively disagree with is that the PTO should not engage if there is no one in the seat.
Maybe that is what StarTech is explaining above?
The PTO should not engage when your bum is not in the seat to prevent the brain dead from getting a manicure at wrist level when clearin a blocked chute with the blades running.
The PTO should not be on when you try to start the engine because it puts a bigger load on the mower and because the equally brain dead could crank the engine standing next to the mower with their toes under the deck and ger a pedicure at the anckle
OR standing on the deck and get tangled beteren belts & pulleys which can also remove a childs foot
These are the reasons why responsible techs never ever bypass a seat switch

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Bert, Your thinking is off on this one. The way this mower is wired it doesn't matter if your are on the seat or not except when the engine is running then the seat becomes involved it would shutdown the engine. But the PTO is live anytime the ignition is in run or start positions. It is just the engine will not crank if the PTO switch is on (in engaged position). Also the engine will crank with no one on the seat and the PTO is off but it will not run as long as the brake.clutch pedal is depressed.

This is why I posted the PTO circuit diagram.

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Bert, Your thinking is off on this one. The way this mower is wired it doesn't matter if your are on the seat or not except when the engine is running then the seat becomes involved it would shutdown the engine. But the PTO is live anytime the ignition is in run or start positions. It is just the engine will not crank if the PTO switch is on (in engaged position). Also the engine will crank with no one on the seat and the PTO is off but it will not run as long as the brake.clutch pedal is depressed.

This is why I posted the PTO circuit diagram.
Dunces cap is on and standing in the corner
Obviously if the engine does not crank the blade can not lop your toes off
Not some thing I have ever come across so it may be they need to be wired differently down here .

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Bert it just that wiring can be different. Plus electrical diagnostics it one of my strong points but 45+ years of reading these diagrams is major plus. All of us have different amounts of experience. There are things that I not able to do lack of knowledge or ability. One is no how much I try to learn to play the piano I just can't get it. I just keep trying to analysis it.

Wiring has changed over the years as manufactures as they become aware of different safety issues over time. It just they are getting better at preventing the consumer from bypassing safety switches. This usually involved more electronics or relays so they have more electrical issues over time.

But looking this Simplicity wiring it could be made to crank with the blades engaged if certain safety switches are bypassed. Personally I never recommend anyone other than a knowledgeable tech that knows to take extra safety precautions to prevent injury to bypass any safety switch.

Even when these decks are disengaged the blades could still turn if the deck has a malfunction. I saved a customer several years ago from getting his hand chopped up. We were unloading a mower when the deck hung on the tailgate of the truck. He started reaching to grab the deck when I grab him as I saw the rotating blades where he was trying to put his hands. I had the operator shut down the mower and we manually unloaded the mower. Later I found that someone had rigged up the deck which I corrected.

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
Bert it just that wiring can be different. Plus electrical diagnostics it one of my strong points but 45+ years of reading these diagrams is major plus. All of us have different amounts of experience. There are things that I not able to do lack of knowledge or ability. One is no how much I try to learn to play the piano I just can't get it. I just keep trying to analysis it.

Wiring has changed over the years as manufactures as they become aware of different safety issues over time. It just they are getting better at preventing the consumer from bypassing safety switches. This usually involved more electronics or relays so they have more electrical issues over time.

But looking this Simplicity wiring it could be made to crank with the blades engaged if certain safety switches are bypassed. Personally I never recommend anyone other than a knowledgeable tech that knows to take extra safety precautions to prevent injury to bypass any safety switch.

Even when these decks are disengaged the blades could still turn if the deck has a malfunction. I saved a customer several years ago from getting his hand chopped up. We were unloading a mower when the deck hung on the tailgate of the truck. He started reaching to grab the deck when I grab him as I saw the rotating blades where he was trying to put his hands. I had the operator shut down the mower and we manually unloaded the mower. Later I found that someone had rigged up the deck which I corrected.
Electrical issues continue to be somewhat intimidating to me, however, I have gotten a lot better. The multimeter and test light are your friends. Does anyone have any tips on electrical diagnostic problems? I can sort of read an electrical diagram, but rarely do.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Just don't forget to do voltage drop tests when hunting a problem. Most problems are straight forward but some can be a royal pain to find without doing voltage drop tests.

Japgolf

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just don't forget to do voltage drop tests when hunting a problem. Most problems are straight forward but some can be a royal pain to find without doing voltage drop tests.
I have the same simplicity machine that I got as a free be because it would chew up deck belts and would not startup. My no start
problem was nothing no clicks no nadda. While cleaning the engine I found a mouse nest between two metal plates, one plate
is for the lower frame and the other plate supports the battery, my wiring harness ran between those two metal plates. Almost
impossible to see but these critters chewed the wires in two between the plates. Disconnected the whole harness repaired
the open wires but rerouted the harness to the side instead of between the metal plates started right up and with a couple of
new deck pulleys runs fine. As Star Teck stated above take your measuremnts if the tests point to open or shorted wires check
to see if your wiring harness runs between the above mentioned plates.

Oatsman

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello lawn and engine folks. Having an issue now with my lawn tractor starting

Details:
Older Simplicity Regency (20 years? Not sure. Time and memory gets away...)
Briggs & Stratton 22HP Intel V-Twin
Valve cover stamp:
Model 44K777
Type 0115 E1
Code 071015YG.

Issue I'm having is a no start situation. Meaning the engine does not turn over when turning the key to on.

Things I've confirmed:
Battery is good.
Foot pedal switch is not blocked and presses in normally.
When turning the switch to "On", the fuel cutoff solenoid clicks.

But that's it. Not sure where to start for troubleshooting. You know, test here first, if good, move to here, test, if good, move to here.

Thanks for any input & help.

LeakyBriggs.
set the valves.
check for blown head gasket.
Could also be pressure release on the camshaft.