Tractor vs. Zero Turn for small mowing business

LawnBoy97

Threads
My friend and I have a small lawn mowing business mowing yards around the neighborhood. We've been using regular push mowers since we started a few years ago, but with more yards and more landscaping jobs, we are looking to speed things up a little. Right now we have less than ten regular mowing customers, and it usually takes us between 40min to 1 hour to mow, trim, edge, and blow. Next year we are hoping to expand into surrounding neighborhoods, with maybe about 20-30 regular customers. So back to the question, would a regular tractor type lawn mower or a zero turn mower be better? We currently don't have the money to buy a new mower, so we will be stuck with buying used, and I know that right now we could buy a dixon or similar zero turn for just over $1000-$1250, or a john deer tractor for about $500-$700. So what do you guys think?

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
First if you buy the JD parts will cost a lot.
For what you are doing I would buy a new ztr
Maybe a toro timecutter this way you have a new mower with a warranty.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
I tried a Murray 40" tractor. It was really a nice machine... to be honest it did not cut enough time off my mows to make it worth it plus the lines to me always looked terrible. I would say you would be better off using even a entry level zero like the toro time cutter. (find them at home depot)

LawnBoy97

Threads
Okay, thanks for the inputs. It seems like the biggest issue with tractors is the speed. But then the biggest draw for me towards the tractor is the ability to add a snow plow for use in the winter, as this past winter we really could have benefitted from that. I do really like the Toro Timecutters, but + or - $2500 may just be too much for us. Are the commercial walk behinds any competition for a zero turn? And also, I may have a chance to buy a John deere f510, which is essentially a zero turn, for $200, but I'm not sure if that would be a good option either

Jondee

Threads
I just got thru ''been there done that''. I first bought a tractor and it didn't work for me...too many bushes and trees. Then bought a ZRT 44'' eXmark for $1800.00. The ZRT is head and shoulders above the tractor. Based on my experience I would spend as much as I could afford and then somehow find another $1000.00 to put with it and go buy a medium dollar used mower with low hours from an individual. That's my 2 cents worth. John

LawnBoy97

Threads
Okay, so what did you look for when you were buying a zero turn? Everything I see on craigslist are usually overpriced and beat up which I guess beat up is all we could afford, but I'm not sure what to look for.

RetiredGuns

Threads
After about 15 years on 2 tractors I made the switch to a ZT. Not only do you save time, but it's so darn easy and if setup properly super nice cut. As far as a tractor for snow plowing on the money you listed I am not sure about the performance. My boss has a blower on his Deere 7xx, but how well will a cheap lawn tractor push snow?

You'll get some great advice on buying tips. Good used ZTs are out there for sure. I scoured Craigslist for a good while, but decided to buy new when the Wife gave me the blessing. I saw some great prospects under $2k. Some with less than 200hrs as well. Find the guy that took good care of his mower, but needs money!

Jondee

Threads
I wanted a ZT mower that was sold by a lawnmower business, not by Lowe's or Home Depot. I really wanted a commercial type mower with individual pumps and motors for each wheel (which I did not get). I wanted a mower that a majority of the people did not badmouth and after that I wanted a cheap price so I could sell it if I needed to so I could get what I wanted. Having never had a ZT I didn't know what was bad and what was good, I did it like I always have; jump in, buy one, if I don't' like it....sell it. If one fool would buy it (me) I figure another would also.

Commercial mowing like you are going to do is something else. If you have customers that want their yard mowed and your broke down whatta do you do about that??????

I'm sure anything you do will be fun if you have the right attitude.

Happy trails.............John

gfp55

Threads
Okay, thanks for the inputs. It seems like the biggest issue with tractors is the speed. But then the biggest draw for me towards the tractor is the ability to add a snow plow for use in the winter, as this past winter we really could have benefitted from that. I do really like the Toro Timecutters, but + or - $2500 may just be too much for us. Are the commercial walk behinds any competition for a zero turn? And also, I may have a chance to buy a John deere f510, which is essentially a zero turn, for $200, but I'm not sure if that would be a good option either

If you plan on moving snow in the winter and cutting grass in the summer don't just jump and get a z-turn. You said you were thinking about moving snow with a snowplow/snowblower. Do you need to pull anything like a trailer, etc. z-turns have limited pulling power. You should do your homework and think what you will be doing with you machine. Are you are going to be just cutting grass or will you be doing winter work also. If you get some cheap sh-t lawn tractor you can't cut very fast, but some older high line garden tractors move pretty fast. If you go cheap on a older z-turn with lots of hours you may spend a lot of time fixing it and the parts are not cheap. Take your time and be wise. Good luck with your business.

Jondee

Threads
In my humble opinion if you plan to shovel snow in the winter you are living way to far north. I cannot help you there.[/I]