Toro 20065 that only starts when I use carb cleaner.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Please post the serial number for the mower and all Briggs engine numbers.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
You have either a 124T02-0161-B1 or 126T02-0139-B1 engine.

Clean the carburetor including the fuel bowl nut/jet assembly.

Now getting the primer to will probably take so doing as the primer/air cleaner base is probably warped. Here I use a cuple gaskets to make a wedge to place additional pressure on gasket in the area of non contact. It is either that or a new primer/air cleaner base.

juntjoo

Threads
Please post the serial number for the mower and all Briggs engine numbers.
is it engraved somewhere on the engine? mine is so dirty, I'm gonna go by the manufacturer details on toro website that says Champion RJ19LM, same as briggs stratton?

The serial number is within the range stated there.

But anyway, currently it's running. I think it's being temperamental. IDK. But it was quite cold this morning, now it's a bit warmer and it got running. Though I'll take any tips as to why it requires carb cleaner to get started

juntjoo

Threads
is it engraved somewhere on the engine? mine is so dirty, I'm gonna go by the manufacturer details on toro website that says Champion RJ19LM, same as briggs stratton?

The serial number is within the range stated there.

But anyway, currently it's running. I think it's being temperamental. IDK. But it was quite cold this morning, now it's a bit warmer and it got running. Though I'll take any tips as to why it requires carb cleaner to get started
also it struggles to start hot, like if I kill it on accident in middle of a mow, getting back going with carb spray isn't as easy as when fresh starting it. Very "temperamental"

juntjoo

Threads
  • / Toro 20065 that only starts when I use carb cleaner.
You have either a 124T02-0161-B1 or 126T02-0139-B1 engine.

Clean the carburetor including the fuel bowl nut/jet assembly.

Now getting the primer to will probably take so doing as the primer/air cleaner base is probably warped. Here I use a cuple gaskets to make a wedge to place additional pressure on gasket in the area of non contact. It is either that or a new primer/air cleaner base.
Sorry, I couldn't understand what you said or tried to say in the last paragraph. Maybe there are some typos. first of all, are you suggesting that the busted primer bulb couid be affecting normal operation? Like it could be allowing excessive air flow or something?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you can’t take the time to clean the engine, to find the engine numbers and you don’t understand what Star is trying to tell you; trying to be a DIY guy and fixing this on your own will probably cost you more than it is worth. Sorry to be brutally honest, but I have to call it like I see them

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
What Star is trying to say is these engines are known for the rectangular air cleaner base warping which allows an air leak between the carb & the air cleaner
The air leak renders the primer useless so some of us double the gasket
He sands his back in a taper so the double gasket is a wedge shape to compensate for the warped cover

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
And for hot start problems it can be a valve clearance issue.

juntjoo

Threads
What Star is trying to say is these engines are known for the rectangular air cleaner base warping which allows an air leak between the carb & the air cleaner
The air leak renders the primer useless so some of us double the gasket
He sands his back in a taper so the double gasket is a wedge shape to compensate for the warped cover
Oh okay thanks. Gotcha.

But would an air leak in that bulb channel affect normal operation of the mower? At this point my main issue is hard start, well NO start without carb cleaner. Carb is newish, aftermarket. Got it earlier this year and just cleaned it up a little from underneath but don't know I really did much. Poked where I could with wire.

juntjoo

Threads
If you can’t take the time to clean the engine, to find the engine numbers and you don’t understand what Star is trying to tell you; trying to be a DIY guy and fixing this on your own will probably cost you more than it is worth. Sorry to be brutally honest, but I have to call it like I see them
I thought the website was sufficient.