Top mower under $7,000!

poolecw

Threads
Ok guys, I'm sure you get tired of the "recommend me..." threads. However, here is another one! LOL. I am tired of spending +5 hours per week cutting grass with my 48" Craftsman. I've got 3 to 4 acres that I cut. The two most important factors for me right now are deck durability and engine. Most mower manufacturers all use the same engines, so it really comes down to the deck and the construction of the actual mower. I am looking for a 60" low to mid commercial grade zero turn. My brother in law just bought a Toro Z 2000 with a 23.5 hp (Briggs I think) for around $6500. Seems like a well built machine. Can you guys recommend me something for around $7,000?

If I gave you $7,000 to spend all on a mower, what would you get???

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Ok guys, I'm sure you get tired of the "recommend me..." threads. However, here is another one! LOL. I am tired of spending +5 hours per week cutting grass with my 48" Craftsman. I've got 3 to 4 acres that I cut. The two most important factors for me right now are deck durability and engine. Most mower manufacturers all use the same engines, so it really comes down to the deck and the construction of the actual mower. I am looking for a 60" low to mid commercial grade zero turn. My brother in law just bought a Toro Z 2000 with a 23.5 hp (Briggs I think) for around $6500. Seems like a well built machine. Can you guys recommend me something for around $7,000? If I gave you $7,000 to spend all on a mower, what would you get???

I would cut your yard with the toro and see how you like it.
Toro makes a good mower.

Is there any others you have looked at?

You are going to get 50 people telling you to get what they have.

If I was looking to get a new mower it would be the toro grandstand.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Ok guys, I'm sure you get tired of the "recommend me..." threads. However, here is another one! LOL. I am tired of spending +5 hours per week cutting grass with my 48" Craftsman. I've got 3 to 4 acres that I cut. The two most important factors for me right now are deck durability and engine. Most mower manufacturers all use the same engines, so it really comes down to the deck and the construction of the actual mower. I am looking for a 60" low to mid commercial grade zero turn. My brother in law just bought a Toro Z 2000 with a 23.5 hp (Briggs I think) for around $6500. Seems like a well built machine. Can you guys recommend me something for around $7,000?

If you gave me $7,000 to spend all on a mower I'd go with either the Toro Z Master, Exmark or a Hustler Fastrak SD or the Hustler X-one. I would stay as far away from Briggs & Stratton as I could, go with The Kawasaki FS or FX engine and a Kohler engine would be a second choice. Look at what the Professionals are cutting with for there main mower and backups that will give you a good indication of what works well and what not to buy.

bturner032002

Threads
a Hustler probably or if you wanted to spend a little more SCAG.

poolecw

Threads
Thanks for the info everyone. I may ask to use the bro-in-law's new Toro Z 2000 this weekend to see how I like it. My dad has a SCAG but he is 5 hours away. I don't know which model he has but if I know him, it got 2x the mower that he needed.

By the way, all the commercial guys around here are sporting Exmarks...at least 9 out of 10 are. There's a few that use Grashoppers...but I don't know jack about that brand.

Keep the advice coming...I"m about 2 weeks out from making a purchase.

LoCo86

Threads
I would cut your yard with the toro and see how you like it. Toro makes a good mower. Is there any others you have looked at? You are going to get 50 people telling you to get what they have. If I was looking to get a new mower it would be the toro grandstand.

If you want to come up to Chattanooga I would sell you my 23hp 52" Toro Grandstand. It almost has 40 hours on it. It's a great mower but I had a car accident about 7 years ago and I thought my legs and back could handle standing in one spot for a long period of time, but it looks like I'm going to need a riding mower instead.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Thanks for the info everyone. I may ask to use the bro-in-law's new Toro Z 2000 this weekend to see how I like it. My dad has a SCAG but he is 5 hours away. I don't know which model he has but if I know him, it got 2x the mower that he needed.

By the way, all the commercial guys around here are sporting Exmarks...at least 9 out of 10 are. There's a few that use Grashoppers...but I don't know jack about that brand.

Keep the advice coming...I"m about 2 weeks out from making a purchase.

The Exmark is a really good mower, it's also owned and made by Toro now. The Toro Grandstand as some mentioned is a fantastic mower. I use the 36" on all my residential lawns, it has one of the best cuts of any ztr I've used. I didn't mention the Grandstand because I'd probably be accused of being bias :smile:

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads

I paid $6,800 out-the-door for my 2012 Gravely 52" Pro-Turn 100XDz and have never looked back(and I looked at a lot of the other ZTR's being recommended). But that was a Fall remaining inventory deal and you couldn't get one of the XDZ series for that today. As you have already surmised, most response you get from "satisfied" owners will be a recommendation to buy one like they have. I can confidently advise you to take a look at the 60" Gravely base Pro-Turn(Model#991202) which usually has a MSRP of $7,349 and is on sale for $6,599. Compare it to the others in that price range and decide what's best for you. Below is a link to the Gravely on my local dealer's website:

Runtime Error

poolecw

Threads
If you want to come up to Chattanooga I would sell you my 23hp 52" Toro Grandstand. It almost has 40 hours on it. It's a great mower but I had a car accident about 7 years ago and I thought my legs and back could handle standing in one spot for a long period of time, but it looks like I'm going to need a riding mower instead.

I'm in Lafayette...just down the road. Got my mind set on a 60''. Thanks for the offer though.