To heel or not to heel..

thesilentone

Threads
Setting the deck higher or lower at the front or back reduces the cutting arc at the lowest point.

bullet bob

Threads
You might get the answer from the Facebook Gravely Owners page.
Thanks, but my life is somewhat peaceful. I'm afraid with everything I hear from my wife and her comments about her facebook account, well, don't think FB is a good fit for me. But thanks!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It seems like I read somewhere, possibly on this forum, that the best cut resulted from a heeled deck. So several years back I lowered the rear 1/4 from the front. BTW, Gravely HD ZT 60 with I believe a 25.5hp Kohler. I mow often because I'm retired & I like mowing so the grass doesn't get too high between mowings. Have I got a screw loose? I think the cut looks great. Too anal?
You get a finner cut when heeling
However it only works when you have short grass & are removing 1" or less .
The other problem is scalping and getting the deck stuck on things that protrude out of the grass

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Facebook.... now there's a trusted source for factual information. :ROFLMAO:
To discount something just because it’s on Facebook doesn’t mean it’s not factual. There are lots of landscapers on that page who have plenty of experience setting up their decks. There are also several Gravely dealers on there too.
Sure, there is some hogwash on there but, there is some on here too.

Last edited:

bullet bob

Threads
You get a finner cut when heeling
However it only works when you have short grass & are removing 1" or less .
The other problem is scalping and getting the deck stuck on things that protrude out of the grass
We're probably talkin' 4 1/4" in the front & 4' in the rear. Scale wheels pretty much hardly turn.....

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
We're probably talkin' 4 1/4" in the front & 4' in the rear. Scale wheels pretty much hardly turn.....
Try setting yours up like mine. Put your selector pin in the 4” hole. Outside blades facing front to back. Set your front facing blade tips at 4” and rear facing blade tips at 4 1/8”.

bullet bob

Threads
Try setting yours up like mine. Put your selector pin in the 4” hole. Outside blades facing front to back. Set your front facing blade tips at 4” and rear facing blade tips at 4 1/8”.
I may try that next spring when I'm crawling around on the floor taking off the mulching kit. Funny, each year that keeps getting just a little harder...

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
I may try that next spring when I'm crawling around on the floor taking off the mulching kit. Funny, each year that keeps getting just a little harder...
I only go on Facebook Marketplace to look at mowers and ATVs for sale and to sell.

The anti-scalp deck wheels are often set too low relative to the deck. So while adjusting the deck on mowers, I also adjust the wheels. If you are mowing and your deck wheels are constantly turning and worn out, that is a big clue they are set too low. Many decks are out of adjustment also and have been out of whack for years.

Gord Baker

Threads
So is no-one heeling their machine?
As it was once explained to me, if the rear of the blade is lower than the front, it clips the grass again and leaves brown tips. I keep mine 1/8" or so above level at the rear. Scalp wheels should ONLY turn when you are going over a rise in the terrain. Keep 'em up!