To heel or not to heel..

bullet bob

Threads
It seems like I read somewhere, possibly on this forum, that the best cut resulted from a heeled deck. So several years back I lowered the rear 1/4 from the front. BTW, Gravely HD ZT 60 with I believe a 25.5hp Kohler. I mow often because I'm retired & I like mowing so the grass doesn't get too high between mowings. Have I got a screw loose? I think the cut looks great. Too anal?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
With the trailing edge lower your deck is having to cut the grass twice in a single pass. For short grass it is probably not a problem but thicker grass it become a loading problem.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I’ve monkeyed around with the deck setting on my Gravely Pro Turn 260. I’ve tried everything from 1/8” higher in the rear to 1/2” higher in the rear. So far, my best results are 1/8” higher in the rear. I’m cutting southern grasses. The results may be different on different varieties of grass.

bullet bob

Threads
I'm cutting 'cold' grasses, in Ohio. So far I like the look I'm getting, but am wondering if I'd get the same results cutting where it's suppose to be. ie. 1/4" higher.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'm cutting 'cold' grasses, in Ohio. So far I like the look I'm getting, but am wondering if I'd get the same results cutting where it's suppose to be. ie. 1/4" higher.
You can try it. I tried mine at 1/4” higher in the rear. That was better than 3/8” and 1/2” higher. For me, 1/8” higher gave me a better overall cut. The deck processes the grass better, discharges farther, and the deck stays cleaner.

Lawn Addict
Threads
I set mine @ 1/8" higher in rear with me (my weight) seated on my Z.. Most accurate.

& very pleased with results.

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
I set mine @ 1/8" higher in rear with me (my weight) seated on my Z.. Most accurate.

& very pleased with results.
Many riding mower decks that come in my shop need to be adjusted. My rule of thumb is to get deck within a 1/4”. I go 1/4” lower in front of deck than rear. Also, don’t forget about anti scalp wheel adjustment. About 1” lower than deck or less.

OldDiyer

Threads
Many riding mower decks that come in my shop need to be adjusted. My rule of thumb is to get deck within a 1/4”. I go 1/4” lower in front of deck than rear. Also, don’t forget about anti scalp wheel adjustment. About 1” lower than deck or less.
Could you explain the 1" scalp wheel setting? I have mine set to 1/2in off the ground in my normal setting height on flat surface. How and were are you measuring that 1in from? Thanks