Tire pops off the rim

Curtisun

Threads
When a tire gets older it weakens and what possibly occurs is your weight combined with a turn cause the tire to come away from the rim slightly, then lose air pressure and while going forward it rolls the tire of the rim. The reason is a zero turn while turning exerts a sideways pressure on the rim/tire. Yor weigh adds to this side pressure. The only solutions are to air it to a higher pressure, fill with a compound to make it solid, or use a tube.
Below is one way to fill a tire with foam but you would need to research it thoroughly if you did this. Like for instance the amount of weight it would carry etc.

troney

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 48" Hustler Raptor SD for 9 years and over the past few years the rear tire comes off the rim, rarely but a total nuisance when it does.

I have cleaned the bead but it still happens.

I plan to pick up some bead sealant (X-Tra Seal Tire Bead Sealer 14-101) but I know that is really for pitted rims and not for tires coming off the bead.

Has anyone had this problem and, if so, what did you do to fix it? If you have had this issue, did bead sealant work for you?

I'm hoping the bead sealant has strong enough adhesive that it will act like a sort of glue and not just a gap filler.
I don't know if you have resolved this but go for the tubes, can pick them up at tractor supply for around $15. I have a old riding mower and the tires dry rotted and leaked air-installed tubes and it took care of it. If I remember right they lasted about 5 yrs and had to do it again but it beats buying new tires....

Dpmulvan

Threads
It helps a great deal to turn these mowers the way you’re suppose to.I know I’m guilty of speed mowing myself. A tell tale sign is ripping up lawn while turning Especially in wet conditions. If you’re ripping tires off the rim imagine the pressure you’re putting on the axles et.

gab

Forum Newbie
Threads
B
I have a 48" Hustler Raptor SD for 9 years and over the past few years the rear tire comes off the rim, rarely but a total nuisance when it does.

I have cleaned the bead but it still happens.

I plan to pick up some bead sealant (X-Tra Seal Tire Bead Sealer 14-101) but I know that is really for pitted rims and not for tires coming off the bead.

Has anyone had this problem and, if so, what did you do to fix it? If you have had this issue, did bead sealant work for you?

I'm hoping the bead sealant has strong enough adhesive that it will act like a sort of glue and not just a gap filler.
ig Ritch,
I have 48" Grasshopper and (almost same) problem a few times a year. I catch it before it comes off.
I find the problem occurs if I mow in very rough terrain. Putting more than I should sideways strain on always the same wheel. I have also caused the problem if I rub tire against a curb.
Yea, I can hear, "what an idiot".
First time it happened, I did the soapy water test more than once!
I agree that the tube is a good answer. No, I look on line for a tube after it happens and promise to look again "tomorrow".
I have bar tires on the machine, and some one once told they may be part of the problem. ie. a bar easily snags on something-rim keeps turning and tire stops, allowing the air to escape. Only takes one second to dump 10 pounds of air.
I wish I had the perfect answer.
Good luck.

Big-Rich

Threads
My thinking on this may be off, but without concrete knowledge of exactly why the bead is popping off; with a tube is there not a risk of the bead popping off and shearing the tube valve stem?
If it pops off again with the tube in it, I wasted $27.00 on a tube and will then opt for new tires.

I am a homeowner and the mower is garage kept. The tires are not apparently dry rotted and pass the underwater test but 9 years is a long time even if it's shelf life.

Big-Rich

Threads
B

ig Ritch,
I have 48" Grasshopper and (almost same) problem a few times a year. I catch it before it comes off.
I find the problem occurs if I mow in very rough terrain. Putting more than I should sideways strain on always the same wheel. I have also caused the problem if I rub tire against a curb.
Yea, I can hear, "what an idiot".
First time it happened, I did the soapy water test more than once!
I agree that the tube is a good answer. No, I look on line for a tube after it happens and promise to look again "tomorrow".
I have bar tires on the machine, and some one once told they may be part of the problem. ie. a bar easily snags on something-rim keeps turning and tire stops, allowing the air to escape. Only takes one second to dump 10 pounds of air.
I wish I had the perfect answer.
Good luck.
I agree gab.

What you describe as "sideways strain" is quite plausible. I have stated that I am 300 lbs. and if I add that to the sideways torque, the age of the tires and rubbing against a barrier at times (I have steel borders [not plastic] around flower plots, the front shrubs and around the whole house), it adds up to a good possibility in my humble opinion.

Good luck with your "pop-offs" too. By the way, my tire is always the one that goes against the borders, the left rear.

13brian

Threads
If it pops off again with the tube in it, I wasted $27.00 on a tube and will then opt for new tires.

I am a homeowner and the mower is garage kept. The tires are not apparently dry rotted and pass the underwater test but 9 years is a long time even if it's shelf life.
Thanks Big-Rich, cogent reasoning for sure. My query was mostly about the advice given, not your decision. It was just what popped into my head at start of discussion. I hope you'll update the thread after use and if anything changes, I am curious to know how this goes and if you ever find root cause. Great thread here, I appreciate all of the input from everyone.

Big-Rich

Threads
Thanks Big-Rich, cogent reasoning for sure. My query was mostly about the advice given, not your decision. It was just what popped into my head at start of discussion. I hope you'll update the thread after use and if anything changes, I am curious to know how this goes and if you ever find root cause. Great thread here, I appreciate all of the input from everyone.
I will certainly update the thread if the problem reoccurs. Keep in mind that I only mow once a week and the original problem was intermittent so it could fail tomorrow or could last the season (especially if the tube does the trick).

The problem did not occur the last time I mowed and I put a tube in after that (7/26/23). Tomorrow is the first mowing with the tube in the tire. Right now it is holding air while it is sitting in the shed.