Re: MTD Yardman Transaxle Rebuild

Jealous ...Ehhhhh .. :laughing:..:laughing:

You really hit that nail on the point! :laughing::laughing:

You really hit that nail right on the thumb...............:mad::confused2:

Boobot1.jpg

Pumper54

Threads

Good morning to everyone, I really love this thread, it shows just how off topic this place can go. Started with rebuilding a transmission moved to telling stories about our lives, to wiring a compressor and of course giving us a chance to admirer the finer things in life. You all play nice today and have a great weekend.
Tom

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads

Good morning to everyone, I really love this thread, it shows just how off topic this place can go. Started with rebuilding a transmission moved to telling stories about our lives, to wiring a compressor and of course giving us a chance to admirer the finer things in life. You all play nice today and have a great weekend.
Tom

That is what happens when free range chickens learn to type.

Don't forget the sardines......

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

Tom

6a00d8341c630a53ef013482b78e06970c-600wi (Medium).jpg

HOLY SCHITT Tonto !! LOOK !! ... we've found that guy that get's lost all the time, we get a HUGE reward if we return him to the Yardman Transaxle Repair Thread ... Hiiiiii Yo Silver Awaaaaaaaayyyyy !! ..:laughing:..:laughing:

Pumper, YOU .. need to visit more often, ... DICKHEAD !!

Last edited:

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads
Re: Compressor repower

Ron,

As I mentioned earlier, the starting current (immediate in-rush of current) when a motor starts (and is overcoming inertia) is around three times it's operating current. (3 X 20 = 60) However, most breakers will withstand that current flow for a short duration. Don't sweat it, hook up your new 240 V motor to your 40-amp circuit and see what happens. It ain't rocket science and the worst that can happen is the breaker will trip and then you can decide what to do about that..

I agree the over current device (circuit breaker) must protect the circuit as well as the appliance. I would NEVER put a 70 amp breaker on a length of #10 wire! Leave the theoretical crap to the theorists. Remember SAFETY first! Code second and don't make sparks in front of the customers.

Roger

Problem I'm limping into now is that the starter is rated for 5hp, but it dunna wanna accept 8ga wire............

People are tellin' me to use 10ga..................

Last edited:

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

Problem I'm limping into now is that the starter is rated for 5hp, but it dunna wanna accept 8ga wire............

People are tellin' me to use 10ga..................

DO NOT USE 10 Ga. wire (even #10 THHN is only rated for 35 A. MAX)

are you loosening the lug (screw) then inserting the wire from the bottom of the connection block UP into the lug ..?? I know some of the cans are tight but that starter should accept #8 wire, if the "jacketing" of the wire is pretty thick then try using THHN jacketed wire, jacket is thinner but just as stiff ..... pics MIGHT help us ....

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads

DO NOT USE 10 Ga. wire (even #10 THHN is only rated for 35 A. MAX)

are you loosening the lug (screw) then inserting the wire from the bottom of the connection block UP into the lug ..?? I know some of the cans are tight but that starter should accept #8 wire, if the "jacketing" of the wire is pretty thick then try using THHN jacketed wire, jacket is thinner but just as stiff ..... pics MIGHT help us ....

The motor only draws 22A or so when running, and start up when it pulls the most, is quick.
The "lugs" or, should I say...screw terminals just would NOT handle 8ga.
Period.
I contacted the seller of the starter and he said"we sell 50 gazillion if these every minute to compressor companies and they ALL use 10ga."
He also added "we have 3 compressor engineers on staff and they ALL say '10ga' "
Bla bla bla bla..."If you want to use 8ga install lugs."
So, I used 40A breaker and 10ga wire (6' from breaker to starter, and 2 feet from starter to motor) and...................
Wait for it...........

Wait for it...........

Wait for it...........

Wait for it...........

IT WORKS !! Wires do not get hot; compressor pumped up to 150 without a problem.
I'll bump up the pressure to test tomorrow.

There is a situation of 2 wires of dissimilar gage having to fit the same terminal..........pain in the buttocks.....
cuz the small wire dunna wanna get tight....so I have to insert a stub of another wire to make the little one "bigger."

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

The motor only draws 22A or so when running, and start up when it pulls the most, is quick.
The "lugs" or, should I say...screw terminals just would NOT handle 8ga.
Period.
I contacted the seller of the starter and he said"we sell 50 gazillion if these every minute to compressor companies and they ALL use 10ga."
He also added "we have 3 compressor engineers on staff and they ALL say '10ga' "
Bla bla bla bla..."If you want to use 8ga install lugs."
So, I used 40A breaker and 10ga wire (6' from breaker to starter, and 2 feet from starter to motor) and...................
Wait for it...........

Wait for it...........

Wait for it...........

Wait for it...........

IT WORKS !! Wires do not get hot; compressor pumped up to 150 without a problem.
I'll bump up the pressure to test tomorrow.

There is a situation of 2 wires of dissimilar gage having to fit the same terminal..........pain in the buttocks.....
cuz the small wire dunna wanna get tight....so I have to insert a stub of another wire to make the little one "bigger."

Look on the MOTOR DATA PLATE .. what is the FLA numbers & if shown LRA numbers You may want to change the breaker to a 30AMP if you're using #10 THHN jacketed wire (just precautionary)