The Daily Yardman Thread

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
Re: MTD Yardman Transaxle Rebuild

I love this thread. I have more enjoyment out of this. It is fast paced and mostly funny. I love reading to my no humor wife the stories on here. She laugh at them. I just love it. She keeps asking me who the crazy guy are. I never want this thread to die.

Chuck, you and your wife need to get out more! If you think this crap is funny, you ought to take up watching "America's Funniest Videos"!! AFV is funny as hell! . . . Me and 'mother' set 'round the fireplace at night, pickin' lobster meat an' watchin' AFV.. Cripes we nearly bust a gut laughin' at some of them damn fools and the crazy stuff they try t'do...

I'd watch reruns all day, but I can't... Boo-Boo has sent me every manual ever printed and available on-line regarding JD GS-25's and Kawasaki FC401V engines... So, I feel duty bound to work on the JD to see if I can get it running. (So far, no luck), but we think we have the problem isolated down to the spark plug, ignition coil, or the air gap between the coil and the magnet in the flywheel.. We're gaining..

Oh! You'd better be careful referring to yer ol' lady as a "No humor wife".. You jus' gotta tell her funnier stories! To paraphrase Red Green, "If the ladies don't find you handsome, they'd better find you "funny". (He says "Handy", but I think "funny" might work too!) Good luck there...

Rog

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

EEEeeOWwww CHI-WA-WA GOOMBA !!

Been on SAFARI for JD items & prices...!! And after serious deliberations and mental financial figureing
along with an AGONIZING long ... and disdainful searching process to locate information about said item ....
I am seriously thinking ... YOU Goomba ( Roger ) should IMMEDIATELY !!

A. get out & hire a person workin at at a JD dealer .... to "confiscate or abscond" with the needed parts !
B. get out the sawzall and torch ... make everything into manageable size/weight pieces .. sell as SCRAP !!
C. put on a 1/2 decent spray paint job and park it on the neighbors front yard @ night hoping it gets stolen !
D. Just leave it in front of a Goodwill store after-hours !!
E. sell the @$#&&#@ thing for parts.. I think it's being so old ... SOMEONE ELSE needs parts for theirs !!

ALL the above suggestions should be regarded as TOTALLY CONFIDENTIAL !!
AND any remarks ... resembling those of other interested parties is purely COINCIDENTAL !!
I have come to the conclusion that the person(s) that led to your possession of this machine ...???
was told EXACTLY what I am telling YOU !!! ...:laughing: ..:laughing: ..:laughing: ..:laughing: ..:laughing:

P.S. Maybe you should go to church ..once in awhile ..and put money IN the plate...(don't take money out ) ! (LOL)

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads

Good morning Rog, Guess I better get me old A** out and finish cutting the grass. Have a great day.

NoBaMa,

How much lawn you got anyway? Are you mowing the whole neighborhood, or what??

Hang in there, I may (someday) have a great John Deere GS-25 ready for you and they actually came with a little dolly you could stand on behind them so you didn't even have to walk!!

Check it out!

Rog

Attachments

• JD-GS with Dolly.JPG
    JD-GS with Dolly.JPG
    33.8 KB · Views: 4

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
GOT SPARK??? Yup, sur' do....

Things are looking up for the JD GS-25!!

Using Information provided by Boobala and a guy named Joe over on the JD Forum, I removed the engine cowling to gain access to the ignition coil. First thing I discovered was that the proper sized feeler gauge would not slip between the edge of the flywheel and the core of the coil. So I removed the coil and using emery paper sanded the edge of the flywheel smooth as well as the face of the coil core where it fits the curved edge of the flywheel. (Both were very rusty.) Then with a .012" feeler gauge I reset the correct air gap between the two of them and tightened the coil down. Using a multi-meter I checked the resistance of the primary and secondary coils of the ignition coil. Both read within specs, indicating that the coil should be alright. So I reassembled the cowling and pull starter. I got my better half to hold the sparkplug body against the engine block. (By it's rubber boot, I didn't want her to have a shocking experience!) And I pulled over the engine.... no spark... Oh bummer... But, just for the hell of it I disconnected the wire that comes from the key switch that grounds the coil to shut off the engine and pulled the starter rope again..... SPARK!!!! Beautiful SPARK!! I read the key switch again and now found a low resistance reading even with the switch in the OFF position. Yesterday I had not been able to obtain any reading through the switch at all.. I'm afraid that it is all corroded inside as every time I turned it ON and OFF the resistance reading would change. Same with the PTO switch which will also ground out the coil.. So now I have several grounds to run down, but that should be easy enough!! I was so excited to see a spark I couldn't wait to clean up my tools and come in and type this on the forum!!

Boo... Thanks a million buddy, you can take a well deserved rest now. Your service record will reflect the fact that you have gone above and beyond for your fellow "forumembers".. (That's a new word I just coined, but it doesn't exactly roll off the tongue like I wish it would..)

Time for supper... MOTHER! . . . . What'cha got cookin'??? . . . Oh geez... Not lobsters again... My stomachs already rising and falling with the tide.. . . . .

Rog

NorthBama

Threads

hello Rog
Glad you got the green machine to spark and most important you didn't shock the wife. I have 3 acres of grass to cut and here in the summer with heat and humidity it beats me down. The pro grass cutters here like those machine like yours easy to get through back yard gates and they are fast with the sulky on back. I think they also are also bull riders. Fire that baby up and here it run.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

hello Rog
Glad you got the green machine to spark and most important you didn't shock the wife. I have 3 acres of grass to cut and here in the summer with heat and humidity it beats me down. The pro grass cutters here like those machine like yours easy to get through back yard gates and they are fast with the sulky on back. I think they also are also bull riders. Fire that baby up and here it run.

Well,Well, ya made it back ! NoBama , ... you do realize you were A.W.O.L. ...??? We can't be havin that
$@#% ... we were even thinkin of givin you a name (since you are incognito) we were thinkin bout .."Bubba",
or "Zeke", .. "Josh", .. or "James-Lewcious" but it seems ...NO-BAMA is the MOST fitting for now... We KNOW where you're spending all your time n money too!! Shame ALL over you !!

giphy.gif

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads

hello Rog
Glad you got the green machine to spark and most important you didn't shock the wife. I have 3 acres of grass to cut and here in the summer with heat and humidity it beats me down. The pro grass cutters here like those machine like yours easy to get through back yard gates and they are fast with the sulky on back.****** I think they also are also bull riders. ******Fire that baby up and here it run.

NoBaMa,

Bull riders?? Hey, I'm a Maine boy and the only bull riding I've ever seen was of the 8 second variety on TV.. A statement like that needs some further enlightenment.. help me out will ya?

We've only got two acres here and one of them is on the other side of the road and both of them are about 90% trees! (Well, actually the one across the road is 100% trees..) Can't mow trees...

Rog

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

NoBaMa,

Bull riders?? Hey, I'm a Maine boy and the only bull riding I've ever seen was of the 8 second variety on TV.. A statement like that needs some further enlightenment.. help me out will ya?

We've only got two acres here and one of them is on the other side of the road and both of them are about 90% trees! (Well, actually the one across the road is 100% trees..) Can't mow trees...

Rog

WELLLLL not exactly "mow" trees but ... just as effective !! ...see short vid !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwwkO7m4bpY

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads

WELLLLL not exactly "mow" trees but ... just as effective !! ...see short vid !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwwkO7m4bpY

Boo,

Oh yeah!! You gotta love those Fella/bunchers. Cuts 'em off at the stump, (Falls the tree) - zips 16-feet along the trunk stripping off all limbs as it goes, cuts off the 16' log, zips up another 16' - same thing, then again as long as the diameter of the tree is worth anything.

Then it can also 'bunch' the logs into nice neat piles.. Some also strip off all the bark as they go along the trunk.. Now-a-days all that "woods debris" is chipped up and blown into trailers and sold to bio-mass generators. Big business up here in Maine.

Here's a de-barker in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8874Lrull0

If ya can't cut bait, then ya better cut wood, 'cause there ain't much else fer a fella to do 'round here.

Rog

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

Boo,

Oh yeah!! You gotta love those Fella/bunchers. Cuts 'em off at the stump, (Falls the tree) - zips 16-feet along the trunk stripping off all limbs as it goes, cuts off the 16' log, zips up another 16' - same thing, then again as long as the diameter of the tree is worth anything.

Then it can also 'bunch' the logs into nice neat piles.. Some also strip off all the bark as they go along the trunk.. Now-a-days all that "woods debris" is chipped up and blown into trailers and sold to bio-mass generators. Big business up here in Maine.

Here's a de-barker in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8874Lrull0

If ya can't cut bait, then ya better cut wood, 'cause there ain't much else fer a fella to do 'round here.

Rog

I'll bet Tom would love to use some of that forestry equip. ..!! Course he'd probably get carried away and clear a roadway clear to your place Rog !! ..:laughing: ..:laughing: