The Daily Yardman Thread

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Re: MTD Yardman Transaxle Rebuild

Boo-Boo,

Hey, anybody who believes you have to "pay" the "Rain Lady" in order to get it to rain, shouldn't have any problem believing that a couple of guys, 1,500 miles apart, ought to be able to 'swap' a little weather back and forth! Geez, how about a little faith in us, huh? We get the Seminoles and the Abenaki's doing a rain dance together and I'll tell you what buddy, you'd better start working on an ark!!

Maybe the weatherman - ('er "person", sorry) - got this Nor'Easter all wrong, you guys already got the rain and it hasn't even started here yet.. Neighbor says we're going out to haul traps at 0800.. We'll see about that..

We could still use more sunshine up here, by the way, so keep on working on that if you would. We can't even plow ground yet, the earth is so wet and we'd kinda like to get a garden in before our already short growing season is over!

Rog

Thought New Englanders were Fishermen .... NOT Farmers ..!!! Can't grow anything in that freezing climate cept Frozen Yogurt... BUT you could grow an INDOOR crop... YEAH ... you know what I'm talkin about ... that money -maker
sweepin the country and people gettin a scrip for a "Head-Ache" ..????? ( LOL ) ..Go get those "BUGS" us Southeners
enjoy our ..."Surf N Turf" Oh ... the claws ain't necessary... just the tails will do ....:cool2:

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads

Oh ... the claws ain't necessary... just the tails will do ....:cool2:

Boo,

What's the fun of a "little tail" if you aren't running the risk of getting 'nipped'? That's what makes maine-iacs tough! (Well, that and the cold weather..)

I came close to getting a finger crunched yesterday. I wasn't paying real close attention and one of those buggers grabbed the glove on one finger, but didn't quite get a hold of me!

I've got a sticker on my boat that says: "Eat Lobster - Wear Grunden's". . . . . Ya gotta have the right gear on..

Rog

Attachments

• eat_lobster_sticker.jpg
    eat_lobster_sticker.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 4

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads

Thought New Englanders were Fishermen .... NOT Farmers ..!!!:

Boo,

Ain't you ever heard of a "Salt Water Farm"?? They were what kept folks alive around here, back in the day. You could grow vegetables and raise animals on the land and then dig clams, catch fish and trap lobsters from the shore. Kept a fella fairly busy, now I'll tell ya, what with weedin' the garden, shoveling cow sheet, hoein' up a rocker full of clams and haulin' traps.. Couldn't hardly get a minute to rest yerself..

What did the old boy say? . . . "I work mighty hard, now I'll tell ya.... Sometimes it gets t'be nine-o'clock, 'fore my shirt's dry enough t'go t'bed."

Rog

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

For all you Semen out there... Ooops I meant SEAMEN ...AHhh same thing ..never mind ..
we know ya'll enjoy the wind & sea-breeze on your face .... so ENJOY the brief video .....!!

........https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16Rknhfww2U

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
Lighthouses in a storm

For all you Semen out there... Ooops I meant SEAMEN ...AHhh same thing ..never mind ..
we know ya'll enjoy the wind & sea-breeze on your face .... so ENJOY the brief video .....!!

........https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16Rknhfww2U

Boo,

At least you could have found a video of 'American' lighthouses!

Here's the light on Minot's ledge off Cohasset, Mass. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6-P2W-o87E

There are several other's available of Minot's light.

Rog

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
Ford 8N Tractor

Well, I can see that bringing up Lighthouses as a subject threw a wet blanket over this thread, so I'll change to topic to something more appropriate - Tractors!

I was recently offered the opportunity to buy a 1951 Ford 8N tractor. It had belonged to the husband of one of my cousins and he has passed away and she wanted to sell it.. Looking it over I could see that the old girl hadn't received much love over her nearly 70 years of life. There was a good deal of surface rust as well as wear and tear. The sheet metal looked fairly straight, especially the fenders, but the hood looked like it had been hammered all over. I could see it still had a generator, so the electrical system was still original. The wiring was a mess (as it always seems to be in old tractors as well as old boats!), but it is a simple straight forward system and would be easy to fix up. It appeared as though the rear tires had been filled with calcium chloride at sometime, as the wheel rims were badly corroded, looking in places like they were ready to explode into rot and rust. A set of rims and tires is $1,100 and then you have to get the tires mounted.

As I do not have the space for, nor the land requiring a tractor, I passed on it.. Broke my heart, I've always loved 8n's...

If I were rich I'd have bought it and had it shipped to Just8N's a company that specializes in their restoration. http://www.just8ns.com/

I hope it goes to someone who will restore it properly..

Roger B

primerbulb120

Threads
Re: Ford 8N Tractor

I hope it goes to someone who will restore it properly..

Roger B

Me too! :cool:

Hey, do you have any more rain to spare? We could use some more down here. :thumbsup:

Why don't you get another Yardman to fix and re-sell? If you're short on space, maybe this one will do: https://maine.craigslist.org/for/6082028295.html Then you could really bring this thread back on topic!

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads

Hey, do you have any more rain to spare? We could use some more down here. :thumbsup:

Why don't you get another Yardman to fix and re-sell? If you're short on space, maybe this one will do: https://maine.craigslist.org/for/6082028295.html Then you could really bring this thread back on topic!

Primerman,

Good grief, Newburgh is almost up to Bangor! That's a long drive for a push mower... The Yardman I have is utterly useless, as the first thing I did was remove the mower deck and all associated controls and heave them out. My intention was only to see if I could make it run, then if I did I thought I might build a parade float on it, but that project hasn't gotten started yet.

Sorry about your lack of rain, but we certainly did appreciate the fine weather you sent us yesterday! The sun was out ALL day! First time we've had a sunny day for the whole month of May thus far! I mowed the lawn for the first time this year! Today is also supposed to be good, as is Thursday, but then we have rain coming in again for Friday. If we get any extra, we'll send it your way...

This thread has become a sort of "blog" that is wide open as far as topics are concerned. I'm not sure I understand what the draw is, but the thread seems to average about 1,000 views every three days.. Somebody out there finds the varied babbling of the few contributing old men to be interesting.. Puzzling, isn't it? . . . We have begged and cajoled, wheedled, . . . and beseeched even . . . those unknown readers to contribute their own interests as a means of expanding the overall intrigue, but alas and alack, all to no avail.. We've tried to let the thread die of it's own accord, (several times!) but for one reason or another it springs back to life like the energizer bunny! But one thing is obvious! Lighthouses are NOT a topic of interest.. We won't go there again!

Currently, I'm worried about Boobala.. Very unlike him to not get in my schitt at least once a day.. He has some medical procedures coming up and I'm hoping he's running on all eight cylinders.. Gotta go send him an email and check up on him..

Rog

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

Why don't you get another Yardman to fix and re-sell? If you're short on space, maybe this one will do: https://maine.craigslist.org/for/6082028295.html Then you could really bring this thread back on

YARDMAN .... WITH A HONDA ???? WOW that's a strange combination... NOTHING against Yard-Man but I always thought Honda was
the "upper-crust" ...( more expensive ..well engineered ) whereas Yard-Man was your AVERAGE working-mans AFFORDABLE mowers.
I have a Honda Engine ( 5.5 HP ) on my press. washer .. FABULOUS lil thing ... I love the bowl drain on the carb. , the built-in strainer
in the fuel tank, BUT replacing fuel lines is a hassle ... parts and MANUALS are EVERYWHERE ... so HONDA is great for us DIY guys ...:thumbsup: