The Daily Yardman Thread

Pumper54

Threads
Re: MTD Yardman Transaxle Rebuild

Roger,
I am pretty sure you and Bert are talking about the same thing bushes, bushings, it is the different in the Queens English and American English. Seems a lot of lower end mowers used plastic bushings in wheels and other parts. I use Never-Seize on those parts if there is no grease fitting.
Tom

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
WELDED - (at last!!)

Now we are getting somewhere - - (I think!!) . . . . I can now return this thread to it's proper subject - transaxle repair!

After getting back from hunting, I went over to the welders yesterday and picked up the repaired upper transaxle case. The weld looks solid enough (first picture) but his effort at cleaning up the inside of the casting was a little crude. (Second picture.) However as that part of the case had been severely worn by the axle after the original bushing wore out, his grinding work is actually above the portion that would normally support the new bushing. In the third picture, the view is along the axle and into the repaired end of the case. The amount of wear at that end of the case is evident. However, the existing shoulder on the lower half of the case as well as what remains at the edges of the upper half "should" properly retain the new bushing and grease seal. I have been considering using a little 3m 5200 marine sealant in the top half of the case to insure the bearing and seal are securely held in place. If you have never used 3M 5200, I'd have a hard time explaining just how well this sealant holds things! As the bushing and seal aren't supposed to be able to turn anyway, I can't see where a little 5200 judiciously applied wouldn't be good insurance against foreign materials getting into that exposed end of the seal / bushing and eventually into the case itself. Any thoughts anyone?

Roger

Attachments

• DSCN1742_712.jpg
    DSCN1742_712.jpg
    202.9 KB · Views: 39
  • DSCN1743_713.jpg
    DSCN1743_713.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 38
  • DSCN1744_714.jpg
    DSCN1744_714.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 44

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads

An ideal approach in this repair would be crack repair, buildup of weld for bore, new bore for bushing material , alignment of housing for center end- to- end, final bushing bore /seal boring. Perhaps that service is unavailable to you or the cost was prohibitive. Maybe you can use bluing around the bushing and seal area to see how the shaft is running. A blue marker pen should work. Hoping for the best here.:thumbsup:

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads

As soon as you put weight on that the axle is going to move up into the void. This repair is not good enough. You will destroy what is left of the upper half of the case and maybe the axle also. You could use JB Weld or something simular to fill it in then drill it or grind it out to the proper size.

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads

motorman & BlazNT,

I lay in bed this morning rethinking my idea of using 3m 5200 and had already decided that it wouldn't be an adequate repair. Now I see you guys agree.

motorman is correct in that the welder I chose was not up to filling in the worn away portion of the upper case, because I asked him to fill in the outer 'lip', saying that I would work it down myself, using a series of small grinding burrs. He was concerned that he might blow the edge completely off. Also if it had been completely filled-in, machining the re-welded case would undoubtedly cost more than it would be worth as a new upper housing is only around $90.

As I never intend to use this machine for mowing, or other 'hard-work', and the project itself is on a strict budget, I want to be as cost effective as I can. However, this morning I had already had a change of mind and decided to try a repair using epoxy paste to fill in the worn area above the bushing. The bushing is actually supported better than it looks in the pictures, but I can appreciate the need for some durable filler to make up for the metal that was worn away. I use JB Weld for many jobs, but I have always used the two-part liquid type, this repair will require a paste that won't flow freely. I think if I wrap the bushing and seal in plastic wrap (keeping it very smooth) maybe spraying the wrap with a little silicone and then pressing it into a glob of paste in the worn out void, I can create a filler that will provide better support for the bushing. Should be interesting!

Roger

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

motorman & BlazNT,

I lay in bed this morning rethinking my idea of using 3m 5200 and had already decided that it wouldn't be an adequate repair. Now I see you guys agree.

motorman is correct in that the welder I chose was not up to filling in the worn away portion of the upper case, because I asked him to fill in the outer 'lip', saying that I would work it down myself, using a series of small grinding burrs. He was concerned that he might blow the edge completely off. Also if it had been completely filled-in, machining the re-welded case would undoubtedly cost more than it would be worth as a new upper housing is only around $90.

As I never intend to use this machine for mowing, or other 'hard-work', and the project itself is on a strict budget, I want to be as cost effective as I can. However, this morning I had already had a change of mind and decided to try a repair using epoxy paste to fill in the worn area above the bushing. The bushing is actually supported better than it looks in the pictures, but I can appreciate the need for some durable filler to make up for the metal that was worn away. I use JB Weld for many jobs, but I have always used the two-part liquid type, this repair will require a paste that won't flow freely. I think if I wrap the bushing and seal in plastic wrap (keeping it very smooth) maybe spraying the wrap with a little silicone and then pressing it into a glob of paste in the worn out void, I can create a filler that will provide better support for the bushing. Should be interesting!

Roger

Hey Roger,
might want to check this stuff out ... we used to use it in the Air Force , I personally think its better than JB weld but about the same principle .........http://www.devcon.com/products/products.cfm?brand=Devcon&cat=Metal Repair

click on the (products) at top of their page .....Boobala :thumbsup:

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
DEVCON!!!

BOOBA!!!

Good old Devcon! How could I forget about Devcon? They even make an aluminum repair paste.. That's the answer!

Maybe not as good as the duct tape we in the sub-service referred to as "E.B. Green" (E.B. stood for "Electric Boat" - - it was a.k.a. "Test Depth tape") which was often used to hold the old WWII subs I served on together.. but the Devcon will be far more usable in this particular project.. Thanks buddy, I'm on it..

Roge

PS. Where do the 'time stamps' come from for these postings? I was writing at 0620 this morning and the time stamp said 1120... WTH (heck) is with that?

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
DEVCON... . . . .

Oh bugger, it's $50/lb....

RB

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Re: DEVCON... . . . .

Oh bugger, it's $50/lb....

RB

They might have it n smaller packaging in stores such as GRAINGER or ACE Hdwe. Ck on line for the product you want ...maybe even AMAZON ... ????

Yeah, that Devcon is amazing stuff, and they make ALL kinds of "fixit-stuff" :thumbsup:

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads

Your time settings will be in "My Home" Set your time zone.