The Daily Yardman Thread

Pumper54

Threads
Re: MTD Yardman Transaxle Rebuild

Roger for a couple of guys who are supposed to be working on the steering assembly you all have pretty much tore out the *** end of that mower, whats with that? LMAO

Tom

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

I'm not sure if you all noticed but this horse has died a long time ago...please stop the molestation of a dead horse...or I'll call PETA on ya'll.

Since ya can't whip us ...ya better join us ... before we break out a can of "WHIPARSE" and send you back up that beanstalk
You can pipe in .. and get in on the fun ..:cool2:

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads

I'm not sure if you all noticed but this horse has died a long time ago...please stop the molestation of a dead horse...or I'll call PETA on ya'll.

Jack!! You're right! I've tried to put this "dead horse" to bed on two or three different occasions now! (I've kinda lost track, to be honest..) But then something or somebody will resurrect it! I don't know what good calling PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals) would do, but if you think it would help, - Do it!!

Boo, Don't be so hard on the guy!

I mean if it LOOKS like a "dead horse" - (BIG animal! Laying on it's back, belly up, legs in the air.)

FEELS like a "dead horse" - (Cold to the touch, won't move if poked with a cattle prod.)

SMELLS like a "dead horse" - (Wicked stench that makes you want to puke from a distance of 50-feet or more, especially if you're downwind.)

and TASTES - Aww 'sheet' I ain't even gonna GO there.... We gotta face it! It IS a "dead horse"!!

What Jack doesn't understand is, all we're trying to do here, is break the Guinness Book World Record for "VIEWS" on a TOP RATED Lawn Mower Forum! I mean we've already topped the number of hits that video of one of the Kervorkian or Delorean - (whatever their name is) - girls, jumping rope naked!!! We're on our way to Fame and Fortune! (Well maybe "Infamy" anyway...)

So, hang in there Jack and keep comin' back to check and see if our old horse has finally bit the big one... We need those 'hits'!

That's it for now kids.. I gotta go sharpen up my snow shovel..

Roger B

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads

Roger for a couple of guys who are supposed to be working on the steering assembly you all have pretty much tore out the *** end of that mower, whats with that? LMAO

Tom

Tom,

The only way I could answer your question would be to invite you to come here and watch how this beast goes back together. Everything inside it was in the way of removing the steering components and ALL the steering components had to be removed.

I wasn't here for the disassembly procedure, but having assisted in the reassembly, I don't really see how he could have done it otherwise.

We are getting a little worried, as there was a package of shims that came with the new steering shaft which when installed "correctly" serves to increase the downwards pressure on the bevel gear at it's lower end which would insure proper engagement with the quadrant gear. We installed the same number of shims that were found on the original shaft, but we are concerned that may be exerting too much pressure on the gears, making the steering wheel difficult to turn. We won't really know until we have the dash board completely installed, as that serves to locate the upper steering shaft bushing. If we have installed too many shims, I "think" we can remove the cotter pin that holds them in place and allow one or more to drop down the shaft, thereby reducing the downward pressure and then we can reinstall a new cotter pin. If the unused shims interfere with anything, we'll have to cut them off the shaft. Otherwise we'd have to take the whole upper structure apart again to remove them from the top of the shaft.. Heaven forbid that!!

Roger

NorthBama

Threads

Sounds like you better get at it Roger. Time is running out and you still have an appointment with the snow plow in Maine. Also looks like your post count is catching up to Boo

Pumper54

Threads

Roger,
Don't you just LOVE shimming stuff. Measure the gap, figure out shims, install slims, reassemble everything. Oh CRAP to tight/to loose. Disassemble everything, remeasure shims space, re-figure shims, install said shims put it all back together, test and repeat till it is right.

Do it all the time with stuff that I did not take apart but am trying to put back together.

Tom

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

Roger,
Don't you just LOVE shimming stuff. Measure the gap, figure out shims, install slims, reassemble everything. Oh CRAP to tight/to loose. Disassemble everything, remeasure shims space, re-figure shims, install said shims put it all back together, test and repeat till it is right.

Do it all the time with stuff that I did not take apart but am trying to put back together.

Tom

Ever worked someplace that figured the time you should take to do a job ACCORDING to a FLAT RATE manual ..??
They never account for the time it takes to shim something to specs ... I quit working at places that used flat rate
manuals as their time standard , ...also I've seen guys cut corners in order to complete a job within the allotted time tables
ALMOST all manuals were set according to working in a fully functional , fully equipped, indoor A/C ,environment with brand new factory built to spec. units that were void of dirt, grease, oil sludge, etc.Performed by someone who has worked on the unit many times , before writing the procedures ...UNREAL for the poor &#*@$#& that is not
familiar with the unit ...doing it for the first time....:mur: ..:mad: ..:thumbdown:

Pumper54

Threads

Ever worked someplace that figured the time you should take to do a job ACCORDING to a FLAT RATE manual ..??
They never account for the time it takes to shim something to specs ... I quit working at places that used flat rate
manuals as their time standard , ...also I've seen guys cut corners in order to complete a job within the allotted time tables
ALMOST all manuals were set according to working in a fully functional , fully equipped, indoor A/C ,environment with brand new factory built to spec. units that were void of dirt, grease, oil sludge, etc.Performed by someone who has worked on the unit many times , before writing the procedures ...UNREAL for the poor &#*@$#& that is not
familiar with the unit ...doing it for the first time....:mur: ..:mad: ..:thumbdown:

I worked at a motorcycle dealership for a while and the tecs there worked the flat rate for the most part. One had to replace the wiring harness on a full dresser and the flat rate was like 4-5 hours. It took a whole day to strip down the bike to remove the bad harness before installing the new one, we never could figure out how the factory figured out you could remove and replace a full wiring harness in 5 hours.
Tom

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads

I worked at a motorcycle dealership for a while and the tecs there worked the flat rate for the most part. One had to replace the wiring harness on a full dresser and the flat rate was like 4-5 hours. It took a whole day to strip down the bike to remove the bad harness before installing the new one, we never could figure out how the factory figured out you could remove and replace a full wiring harness in 5 hours.
Tom

Tom,

They didn't figure that the job could be done in five hours, they only knew that they only wanted to PAY you for five hours, no matter how long it took..

Roger

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
Home Coming

Well,

We didn't come home to as much snow this April as we did back in 2015. It was only about a foot deep in front of the boat shed and I tried to mash it down with the car (AWD) but that didn't work well, so I ended up shoveling it. . . . . If I could just talk the other half into not coming back until May...... Oh well.....

Had all kinds of problems once we got here. Well pump was screwed up, boiler quit running after half a day, CATV only had half the channels it was supposed to, phone system didn't work and my sonic tooth brush broke!

In two days we've had to have the well pump replaced, the burner for the boiler rebuilt, a new Cable TV box installed, a new phone modem installed and bought a new toothbrush head... Now we've got to take out a mortgage to pay for it all!!

Still, I suppose it is good to be home.. but in all honesty, I'd rather be sitting on the banks of the Withlacoochee River in the Blue Gator Tiki bar with Boo Boo, sipping a sweet tea, munching on a Cuban sandwich and laughing about how many hits we got on the Trasnaxle Rebuild posting.... Send me some sunshine Boo, will ya???

Roger

Attachments

• DSCN1918_771.jpg
    DSCN1918_771.jpg
    207.6 KB · Views: 7