The Daily Yardman Thread

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
A wicked weird co-incidence

Yesterday afternoon we loaded up what we had to take to the dump and headed out for that and one more stop. When we came to the end of our road at the stop sign on US Route One, I spotted an AWARD travel trailer going past. I said, "Look Becky, an AWARD just like our old one!" and pulled out behind it. As soon as I did I realized that not only was it the same model as our old trailer, it WAS our old trailer! We sold it to a couple who live nearly an hour to the south of us about five years ago! I suggested that we follow them and see if we could speak with them at some point. "What if they are going camping in Nova Scotia?" Becky asked.. (Damn women!! Always thinking sensibly!!) "They will have to stop for gas somewhere.." I answered tersely.

Fortunately they went to a campground just up the coast, that was before our second stop and we were able to speak with them. They still enjoy using it and actually had the front window replaced. (It had three holes and cracks in it from our trip on the dirt roads in Alaska.) He somehow got his insurance company to replace the window and told me it cost them more that he had paid us for the trailer! I think the windows were made in Denmark! They were supposed to be like jet aircraft canopies and it was said they were bullet proof! Could be, but they sure as hell weren't 'rock' proof!! I didn't replace it because I never thought of trying to get the insurance company to do it and they were wicked expensive.

It was good to see the old girl that had been our 'home' for nearly two years from 2003 to 2004 while we toured all of the States you can drive to (not Hawaii) and most of the Canadian Provinces. (Not Nunavut - no roads!)

Pretty weird though, to come out our road just as they were passing by, what are the chances of that happening??? (I'll let Boo do the math on that one!!)

Roger

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 5

primerbulb120

Threads
Re: MTD Yardman Transaxle Rebuild

Roger,

I was searching Craigslist one day and found a mower I had sold several years ago at a garage sale. Recognized it by my home made labels (originals were gone so I made new ones.)

NorthBama

Threads
Re: Hurricane Nate

We're rolling up the sidewalks as we speak.
Track keeps wobbling from the Mississippi/Alabama border to just to the east of us.......
In any event, we want it to stay to the east of us.
So, fingers crossed............
This house went thru Katrina in fine fashion. We're hoping for the same result after Nate.

Thanks for the well wishes, y'all.

We will be ok here in North Alabama. We live 120 miles north of Birmingham. I have a son that lives in Opelika Alabama i think he will be ok also. The folks on the cost may have a bad day tomorrow.

Hunker down Ron

willys55

Lawn Addict
Threads
Re: A wicked weird co-incidence

Yesterday afternoon we loaded up what we had to take to the dump and headed out for that and one more stop. When we came to the end of our road at the stop sign on US Route One, I spotted an AWARD travel trailer going past. I said, "Look Becky, an AWARD just like our old one!" and pulled out behind it. As soon as I did I realized that not only was it the same model as our old trailer, it WAS our old trailer! We sold it to a couple who live nearly an hour to the south of us about five years ago! I suggested that we follow them and see if we could speak with them at some point. "What if they are going camping in Nova Scotia?" Becky asked.. (Damn women!! Always thinking sensibly!!) "They will have to stop for gas somewhere.." I answered tersely.

Fortunately they went to a campground just up the coast, that was before our second stop and we were able to speak with them. They still enjoy using it and actually had the front window replaced. (It had three holes and cracks in it from our trip on the dirt roads in Alaska.) He somehow got his insurance company to replace the window and told me it cost them more that he had paid us for the trailer! I think the windows were made in Denmark! They were supposed to be like jet aircraft canopies and it was said they were bullet proof! Could be, but they sure as hell weren't 'rock' proof!! I didn't replace it because I never thought of trying to get the insurance company to do it and they were wicked expensive.

It was good to see the old girl that had been our 'home' for nearly two years from 2003 to 2004 while we toured all of the States you can drive to (not Hawaii) and most of the Canadian Provinces. (Not Nunavut - no roads!)

Pretty weird though, to come out our road just as they were passing by, what are the chances of that happening??? (I'll let Boo do the math on that one!!)

Roger
kinda makes the hair on your neck stand out Rog

willys55

Lawn Addict
Threads

fingers are crossed for you gents in the storm track, stay dry my friends

willys55

Lawn Addict
Threads

so once again north jersey is going to be above 80 degrees and we still have the a/c running........what a strange year for the weather

time to go play in the garage

willys55

Lawn Addict
Threads

Boo, you are going to need to take your shoes off to keep up with all the calculations Rog is speaking of, can't have enough fingers and toes to count, dont forget to carry the one
:laughing:

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads

so once again north jersey is going to be above 80 degrees and we still have the a/c running........what a strange year for the weather

time to go play in the garage

The generator has been fueled and tested; all outside clutter has been stowed; hatches battened;
fridge full of cold Yuengling Traditional Lager and Oktoberfest..............
Just waitin' on Nate.........

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
Re: A wicked weird co-incidence

Roger,

I was searching Craigslist one day and found a mower I had sold several years ago at a garage sale. Recognized it by my home made labels (originals were gone so I made new ones.)

kinda makes the hair on your neck stand out Rog

Yes! It was weird and it IS weird when things like that happen.. I mean, what are the chances??

But, if it can happen, someday it will happen..

Roger

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
Another chisel

Yesterday we were digging around in a box of Becky's tools and I spotted a heavy mortising chisel, which I grabbed and cleaned up to see if there was a name on it. There was! It was made by the UNDERHILL EDGE TOOL Co.

Here is what the Davistown Museum has to say about them: https://www.davistownmuseum.org/bioUnderhill.html Speaking of weird! It would seem that the Underhill Edge Tool Co. had the distinction of making the axe that Lizzie Borden used. (Or didn't use, as she was not found guilty.) Lizzie on the other hand has the distinction of being acquitted in 1892 of murdering her father and step mother with said axe.

Anyway, this is a very heavy mortising chisel, the blade alone bring some 12" long and 1-1/2" wide, with a thickness of 1/2" at it's base. It had been used hard and the iron ring at the end of the handle had been beaten it's full width down into the wood. The remainder of the handle was splintered badly.

I selected a piece of American Ash to make a new handle with that had a small knot in it. I positioned the knot mid-handle for appearance.

After turning the handle on the lathe, it took me another hour of hand fitting to get the taper to fit completely into the socket. The iron-ring went on better. I was able to clamp the blade between two pieces of hardwood in my vise and using a large socket I drove it onto the turned end of the handle with a one-pound hammer.

It is unfinished in the picture, but I have already started applying urethane and will finish with at least three fully dipped coats.

I love old tools! . . . . Hell!! I AM an old tool!....

Rog

Attachments

• DSCN2067_933.jpg
    DSCN2067_933.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 4
  • DSCN2066_932.jpg
    DSCN2066_932.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 7