The Daily Yardman Thread

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
Oct. 4, 2017

Today's "VIEWS" wildass guess-ta-mate.

Via straight average over the past 337 days = 105,397

Via the daily average increase over the past week = 106,112

I find it interesting that the two figures are moving closer together even though yesterday we experienced an incredible increase of 910 views in approximately 24 hours.
.................................................................................................

My NY buddy and I had a ball yesterday, B.S.-ing about our good old days in the boats and shipmates now on 'Eternal Patrol' that we miss, and the great times we all had together on the 'beach'.

Of course the Navy was a very different 'Canoe Club' back in those days, than it is today. We were expected to get drunk and raise particular hell, so we did! And we always tried to do it just that much more than anybody else.. I mean what the hell! We were Sub Sailors, you had to be nuts to ride one of those steel coffins in the first place! We always claim that when you went to Sub School the first question they asked you was, "Are you crazy?" If you answered, "Yes!" Then you passed and they sent you straight to the boats..

How I loved serving with 89 other guys, everyone of which was just as crazy as I was..

Anyway he's going out lobstering with my neighbor and me this morning. When I asked him if he'd brought his boots, (the deck is always awash with water from the live well pump and the water-line scuppers) he said, "Of course! I thought we were going out to find some sheep later on!!" :smile::laughing::smile::laughing:

NorthBama

Threads
Re: MTD Yardman Transaxle Rebuild

Doc,

That was a common practice back in the day when this boiler was plumbed. This is a very simple system with only two zones of heat and the domestic hot water storage tank. (Hence the three circ pumps. It does use an Argo controller to operate the pumps, not a bunch of individual relays plastered all over a control board.

My old man was a Master Oil Burnerman as well as a Master Electrician, so years back we used to wire boilers for companies that either didn't have licensed electricians. or any that really knew what they were doing. I had a lot more electronics background than my Dad (because of the Navy), so he'd just tell me what the sequence of operation had to be and then I'd design the circuitry. Eventually controllers like ARGO came out and then anybody could wire up a system that would operate correctly.

I used to do the same thing for a company that resurrected swimming pools. Only in reverse. The pools would be installed with all sorts of electronics that were susceptible to lightning strikes and other power surges and I'd tear all that out and then build a bullet-proof system out of old school relays and that sort of thing. It dramatically improved the reliability of the control system.

Well made relays will last a long time! I once ran into a relay in what was probably one of the first garage door openers ever made (for an estate one of the Rockefellers bought) that was built on a slate base! I have no idea how old it was, but the coil had finally burned out.

Roger

Good Morning All

Roger i am a little late chiming in here. Did you ever get into PLC controllers to take the place of relays. I enjoyed upgrading relay controlled machines to PLC controllers. That makes them so much easier to work out a problem using a laptop computer. Sorry i am not much help of wood working

Hope you guys have a great day

willys55

Lawn Addict
Threads

Geez Doc,

I thought you were the King of Heavy Haulers, not a boiler-system technocrat! You telling me all the Taco valves my buddies were installing back in the day were junk? (I always thought their operating system was weird for the job they had to do, but WTH do I know??)

Rog
not the King of heavy haulers, but a member of the club...LOL

I tend to get bored real easy and many times when I learn a skill, I tend to become obsessed with it and often times improve upon it...get bored with it and move on.

When I was younger I often times worked two or three jobs, averaging 80 hours a week, buried alot of cash towards investments and burned alot cash, I suffer from RLS and Insomnia so at best I slept 4 hours a day, worked the rest of those hours.........the longest I ever stayed with any job was 5 years because as soon as I learned all that was involved and achieved the highest award, I would become bored and move onto something else. I never got into electrical work, had enough with running drops and sets with HVAC and Boiler installations, same goes for the plumbing industry, I had no interest in traveling down the apprentice road so that I could join the thousands of already licensed contractors out there. I learned to drive a 15 speed Autocar Dump truck when I was 16 way before the commercial license was even thought of. Someday I will return to school and finish my degree in psychology, oh which I made it two years and became totally bored with it.
I have 23 automotive certifications, 17 Heavy Truck, 5 Truck Equipment Design/Fabrication Certificates, HVAC certified, Blue Seal Steam License, and Level 4-5 Heavy Rescue.

Enough about me, I don't want to bore anyone..............................I do have a fun side, and I can't stand uptight "toppers" and "experts" in any field, because there really is no such thing. I have over the years raised a nice family and I even had the opportunity to try out my comedy routines in Boston at the Improv and the Rascals comedy club in Orange NJ

willys55

Lawn Addict
Threads

Geez Doc,

You telling me all the Taco valves my buddies were installing back in the day were junk?

Rog

these were always failing
Air_taco.JPG

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads

I wired up my first new circuit in the new building this morn : the overhead fluorescent lights.
I flipped the switch, and....voila! They STILL didn't come right on !

Looks like LED tubes are in the future.
But..........
the lowest ceiling height is 14'
That means using a step ladder on top of my scaffolding..........YIKES !

willys55

Lawn Addict
Threads

When I put the lights in the barn, I had my son run the loader with me it the bucket, worked out well, nobody died...LOL

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads

When I put the lights in the barn, I had my son run the loader with me it the bucket, worked out well, nobody died...LOL

Ahhh, the benchmark of a successful endeavor...............

willys55

Lawn Addict
Threads

Ahhh, the benchmark of a successful endeavor...............
yup...LOL

funny thing is, at the time I did own a forklift, but with the solid tires it couldn't be used in the barn...would just get stuck.

one of these days I will get myself a genie or other make of manlift.....always seem to have a need for it

willys55

Lawn Addict
Threads

Good Morning Crew

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

Was sitting on the porch this morning with my coffee, looking at my my car and how nice it still shines, (thanks to an aircraft polish/sealant I use, well worth the $20.00 it costs. ) I realized I've had this car the longest I ever owned 1 car. It's coming up on 11 years and the car is 20 years old, ( by model year-release ) Best car I EVER owned, used to be nothing but a domestic car buyer until I got tired of being under the hood of them, yep, my 98 Toyota Camry is my baby, so little maintenance involved, and the most expensive replacement parts were the timing belt and struts, time to start looking at all the 20 year old vacuum hoses, and a close look at the exhaust system, NO problems thus far , just some P-M to consider. Sorry I'm no longer interested in domestic vehicles other than their looks, I guess as I get older I'm more concerned about health issues than cars, but I still get excited at the sounds at Nascar and the scream of a "fuelie-engine" Ahhh the smell of fresh burned Nitro !! Wonder if my car will outlive me ... ??? ( LOL ) ..:laughing:..:laughing:..:laughing: