The Daily Yardman Thread

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Re: MTD Yardman Transaxle Rebuild

WELL,WELL, WELL, if it ain't the guy from "down-under" ..!! I know you've been busy helping out the "lost-souls" on the forums , but hell bert, ya need show yourself at "home" ( here) once in awhile. ..:laughing:..:laughing:

Generally I pop something on once or twice a week.
It gets hard to type when sitting on the roof with a rop round your neck contemplating jumping off cause I can't get this !@#***! concrete saw to bloody well work and the owners rings you 3 times a day looking for it.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads

I rarely let something beat me either but maybe it is just time to let it go. For your sanity man. We do not have any freinds down under to go looking for you if you disapear. OTOH you could do like us rednecks here in the Ozarks and take it out back and use it for target practice. This is a real occurrence here. Got a call when I was much younger that went something like this. Sir i have some good news and some bad news. Good news is that your weedeater is done. Bad news is your weedeater is finished. I will never forget that call. I laughed so hard I had tears in my eyes. I was so glad that it was not just me that could not fix it.

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads

My blood ran cold when I saw that picture.
I can still feel the steel rule come down on my nuckles for sitting a bench plane on its sole plate and the nasty glare from my wood work teacher.
Then the penalty of having to lap every bench plane blade on an oil stone then a water stone then reassenble all 200 of them before I was allowed to go home.

Bert,

Please know that the iron in each of those planes is fully retracted, they are sitting there for display purposes only. When I first started collecting them, I would clean everything, then sharpen the iron and then apply a coat of bowling alley wax to everything and set it on the shelf. Now I do all that, but I only sharpen ones I intend on using, or that I 'REALLY' like.

I am well aware that setting a plane down on it's shoe is taboo, however, I'm sure you will agree that a bunch of block planes laying on their sides wouldn't make much of a display. And I DO sit in my chair and stare at all of them quite often. So I retract the irons fully into the body, keep the bottom of the shoe well waxed and enjoy looking at them and using one or two when the need arises.

If you can stand to look at the picture again and you study the top shelf, third plane from the right, you may note that it is sitting on a thin base of wood. That plane has no markings on it's body, but the iron is marked "Economy Mfg Co Philla" it is the only Economy I have as I have never seen another and I can find no information on the maker. The shoe of this plane had what seemed like 'rust crystals' right in the metal and if I left it for any period of time untouched, even with a heavy coat of wax, rust would come through. I impregnated that wood base with oil and set the plane on it. It took at least a year, but finally no more rust showed up, I just haven't gotten rid of that oily piece of wood. Trust me, I would do nothing to endanger my planes, although I'm certain Mr Black, my old shop teacher, would cringe at the sight of them all sitting on their bottoms...

Roger

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads

the tool is used to press out the rivet on a sickle bar assembly...one end presses out the out rivet the other presses the new one in

Doc,

When I had a little subsistence farm back from the mid '70's through the mid '80's, I had use of a neighbors Allis Charmers tractor which had a sickle bar mower. There were spare teeth available, (all tied together on a string hanging from a nail on a post) but I had no idea how to replace them. I just sharpened the ones that were already on the bar.. Thanks for the lesson, I like learning something new every day..

Rog

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads

I rarely let something beat me either but maybe it is just time to let it go. For your sanity man. We do not have any freinds down under to go looking for you if you disapear. OTOH you could do like us rednecks here in the Ozarks and take it out back and use it for target practice. This is a real occurrence here. Got a call when I was much younger that went something like this. Sir i have some good news and some bad news. Good news is that your weedeater is done. Bad news is your weedeater is finished. I will never forget that call. I laughed so hard I had tears in my eyes. I was so glad that it was not just me that could not fix it.

There has to be a reason why it dies out at full revs after a few minutes and if I don't find out why then I will never know so all the unbilled hours are wasted & I would have been better served sitting in a sunny corner & pulling my pood.
Not an ego thing When things come in I can not fix, I can accept that but this is just a chain saw on steroids.
It just so happens that it is a pig to pull apart , That I know I have done it 6 times already.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

Bert, years ago when I worked in the jet engine shop in the service, we had a guy by the name of Donald Heerkins, we thought he was a "bit-strange" because he would "talk" to the parts as he worked on them, I remember one day him saying to a bolt that refused to start into it's threads ..." look you little sumbeech..you are going into that hole or you're going to wind-up in the "schitt-can" where after a few more tries, ( no success ) he promptly went over to the hanger doors and dropped the bolt into the dumpster ! he grabbed a new bolt and remarked ..look you little bassturd if you don't go in this hole YOU ..are going to meet your brother in the schittcan , unbelievably ...the bolt started first try and threaded all the way in to do it's purpose in life, as he had explained to it... he used to keep us in stitches everyday !! ..:laughing: ..:laughing:

willys55

Lawn Addict
Threads

Bert, years ago when I worked in the jet engine shop in the service, we had a guy by the name of Donald Heerkins, we thought he was a "bit-strange" because he would "talk" to the parts as he worked on them, I remember one day him saying to a bolt that refused to start into it's threads ..." look you little sumbeech..you are going into that hole or you're going to wind-up in the "schitt-can" where after a few more tries, ( no success ) he promptly went over to the hanger doors and dropped the bolt into the dumpster ! he grabbed a new bolt and remarked ..look you little bassturd if you don't go in this hole YOU ..are going to meet your brother in the schittcan , unbelievably ...the bolt started first try and threaded all the way in to do it's purpose in life, as he had explained to it... he used to keep us in stitches everyday !! ..:laughing: ..:laughing:
Damn that brings back memories......I worked with a guy years ago, he looked a little like Red Green, he would say "Tight..tight...tight....tight....tight" with every twist of the socket wrench then when it had to come off..."Loose....loose.....loose.....loose"........I would chuckle and just stay clear of him, you know that crap wears off on people and I didn't want it getting on me.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

Damn that brings back memories......I worked with a guy years ago, he looked a little like Red Green, he would say "Tight..tight...tight....tight....tight" with every twist of the socket wrench then when it had to come off..."Loose....loose.....loose.....loose"........I would chuckle and just stay clear of him, you know that crap wears off on people and I didn't want it getting on me.

Ya know Doc, WE ALL have our little "quirks" , When I was younger I used to stick my tongue out the corner of my mouth when doing something difficult, or with intense concentration, until after several "bops" on my chin bottom, by concerned or aggravated "friends" made me bite my tongue, enough, did that habit disappear.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads

There has to be a reason why it dies out at full revs after a few minutes and if I don't find out why then I will never know so all the unbilled hours are wasted & I would have been better served sitting in a sunny corner & pulling my pood.
Not an ego thing When things come in I can not fix, I can accept that but this is just a chain saw on steroids.
It just so happens that it is a pig to pull apart , That I know I have done it 6 times already.

My truck waa doing rhe same thing.just a while back. Turned out to be the coil on plug. It could not take all the power. If the rpms went down by just 100 it would pick back up. I fixed it by using the shotgun method. Take out all the parts and put in all new parts all at the sametime. After that is when i found out that the engine in question had this problem. I would have never found it on my own. Dam cheap bass tards at Ford decieded to save a few pennies on the coils and they failed after a couple years of service.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

My truck waa doing rhe same thing.just a while back. Turned out to be the coil on plug. It could not take all the power. If the rpms went down by just 100 it would pick back up. I fixed it by using the shotgun method. Take out all the parts and put in all new parts all at the sametime. After that is when i found out that the engine in question had this problem. I would have never found it on my own. Dam cheap bass tards at Ford decieded to save a few pennies on the coils and they failed after a couple years of service.

Bert probably just ain't holdin his jaw jus right, N closin 1 eye !! ..:laughing: ..:laughing: