Tesla Cyber Trucks Rusting

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Isn't stainless steel supposed to be rust resistance? Apparently not so when it comes the Tesla Cyber truck exteriors. Either that or they used the cheapest version of stainless steel. They are offering to cover the stainless steel with paint.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Good stainless will not rust. None of the Dixie Choppers rust and we have them that are over 25 years old. Mine is 24 years and no rust.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Good stainless will not rust. None of the Dixie Choppers rust and we have them that are over 25 years old. Mine is 24 years and no rust.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I know...it just that Tesla used cheap SS on the $60K plus vehicle.

Lawn Addict
Threads
True, 304 marine grade stainless is non-magnetic. My truck bed rails were made outta 304..

Chevy & GM have been making their exhaust systems outta "aluminized stainless" since at least early 90's..
Holds up very well, but a magnet will stick to it showing they are banking on the cheaper aluminized properties.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
When I searched aluminized stainless the result only showed aluminized steel.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Stainless is not rustless they are totally different grades of steel
Stainless is stainless because it forms a very tough chromic oxide on the surface
All metallic oxides are alkaline and are attacked by various types of acid .

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
There different types of stainless steel and the very good grades are nearly 100% rust-less due to oxidation layer. Lower grades stainless will rust over time So some weather much better than others. Most of my stainless steel cookware never rusts or at least not in the last 30 yrs. Now my kitchen sink does develop rust stains but is an el cheapo grade.

The better stainless steel are usually the non.magnetic types. Which I was doing scrape metals I was paid much better for.

SHB

Threads
There different types of stainless steel and the very good grades are nearly 100% rust-less due to oxidation layer. Lower grades stainless will rust over time So some weather much better than others. Most of my stainless steel cookware never rusts or at least not in the last 30 yrs. Now my kitchen sink does develop rust stains but is an el cheapo grade.

The better stainless steel are usually the non.magnetic types. Which I was doing scrape metals I was paid much better for.
It’s not so much good or bad grades, there are different alloys that have been developed having different properties. Some machine more easily, some are easier to form or are stiffer.