Tecumseh motor for Toro push mower dies soon after starting.

giantsquid

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Tecumseh motor for Toro push mower dies soon after starting.
Odd...did that do it?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
When you say you "This is the inside of the carb after I wiped it off best I could."... You Did use a carb cleaner & spray through all the passages with carb cleaner and then follow up with compressed air and even a fine wire to probe the passages... What your trying to clean can Not be done by wiping it down...

And yes if there is no drain plug at the base of the engine above the deck OR below the deck... then the only way you have is tipping the mower on its side... :smile:KennyV

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
i guess the pictures are back!....weird.....anyways.....the gelatin stuff is ethanol contamination...just be glad it didnt have time to harden up....thats killed many a carb....the little rubber donut is your seat and its actually in your second picture...get a paperclip and bend the very end into a hook and put a bit of an edge on it....then go fishing for the seat [ be sure to get all bits]......they often crumble if they're old...keeping everything clean.....reassemble and get back to us:smile:

giantsquid

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well I didn't use carb cleaner to clean out the insides, but I did use compressed air. I just now realized what it was, and saw the seat.

Being in a bit of a rush I replaced everything but the seat and tried it out. The mower started no problem and ran, but it seemed to still be running at higher RPM's than normal. Although this time it didn't die on me and I was able to mow the front lawn. However when I was ready to kill the engine, even after I let off the gas the engine ran on its own for a few seconds then sputtered and finally shut off.

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
the run on is normal to a point....but not more than a second.....a "lean" condition can exacerbate this.....you may want to richen it a bit if you have those adj. screws and see if it helps....for future reference....use carb cleaner....as it will dissolve build ups which can cause a myriad of issues

induray

Threads
I have a Tec 6.75HP Craftman lawnmower. I have the same problem. I prime it or spray starter fluid and it runs strong for 5-6 seconds. I have replaced main nozzle tub and o-ring, replace the primer bulb assembly, air-breather to carb gasket, and bowl to carb gasket too. Still doing the same. Any suggestions???

blades

Threads
The nut that holds the bowl on has a set of holes through it one passes horz, one dead center vertically into the lower pass through, that verticle likes to plug. that nut might seat up against an o ring in the carb ( not the seal on the item itself) also which could be shot or missing altogether as that is the feed for the jet in the middle of the main bore. no seal there = no suction to pull fuel from bowl. Playing with one right now - no jet adj. at all, it is what it is.

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
ive run across more than a few Tecumsehs with the plastic emulsion tube... where people have swapped it out for the wrong type.....i always make sure it has the right parts first now

induray

Threads
Thanks. I replaced the main nozzle tube. (That is what you are calling emulsion tube?). I did open a thread named " Will start but dies in six seconds ". by Induray could everyone please post your solutins there? Thanks everyone. Happy Veterans day.