Tecumseh motor for Toro push mower dies soon after starting.

powerleg5

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Tecumseh motor for Toro push mower dies soon after starting.
At least you got yours to run for a few seconds. I just acquired a Toro/Tecumseh push mower that states right on the engine cover: Guaranteed To Start. LOL. What it is really guaranteed to do is wear you out trying to start it.

But all is not lost as my Deere/Briggs took up the Toro/Tecuseh's slack and got the job done. I have learned though that you couldn't give me a truckload of Toro mowers.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
WELCOME to LMF...

Your problem will most likely be the carburetor... Tecumseh has more carb problems than most... but the "Guaranteed To Start" is most likely dependent on all conditions being exactly right. :biggrin:...
And that's a condition that is very rare.
If you want to get into your Tecumseh carb... . go to this site, scroll down to the Tecumseh group, find the one that looks like yours and then follow the tear down rebuild directions... Small Engine Equipment Troubleshooting, Repairs and Safety
It should get you back to starting... AND running... :smile:KennyV

Albionwood

Threads
Well I didn't use carb cleaner to clean out the insides, but I did use compressed air.

These little carbs are really finicky and even the tiniest bit of goo in one of the jets can cause exactly the kind of problem you are describing. In my experience you can't get them clean enough without soaking all the parts in carb cleaner, and even that often won't get it clean enough to run well. Especially if there has been any moisture in the carb, causing any corrosion at all, you'll need to replace the corroded parts. If it's gummed up with bad gas (almost a certainty if it sat without running for more than 3 or 4 months) you will probably have to take out the welch plugs to get it clean enough. Usually it's almost as as cheap and much easier to just replace the whole carb, but that's not as much "fun" as tearing it apart and putting it back together over and over... :laughing:

spitfire0450

Forum Newbie
Threads
"but that's not as much "fun" as tearing it apart and putting it back together over and over... " amen