Taller oil filter!!!

driz

Threads

turbofiat124

Threads
I think your memory is failing as the hole has nothing inside for the spiggot to bottom out on.
However a lot of automotive ones do have a plate just inside the hole so sounds like you were using a wrong filter.

I've been using these 2.14" high filters on both my 21HP Intek and my Dad's John Deere twin cylinder (26 HP ?) with no problems of bottoming out.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/361359114646?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I seem to think the Kohler 14HP engine that was on my Snapper had a longer stem and when I tried using the 2.14" filter the stem bottomed out against the top of the filter. Or felt like it.

I can't recall if the 2.14" filter is the "taller" one or the "shorter" one of the two.

So in other words I've got it in my mind you can use a filter from a Kohler engine on a Briggs but not necessarily a Briggs filter on a Kohler.

That's my recollection and I'm sticking too it!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The Briggs tall, medium & short, & the 3 Kohler filters are all the same specifications wise they are just different sizes to fit in different locations.
Ditto for Kawakasi & Honda filters although they do have a few different spigot thread sizes.

I am yet to see a mower engine suffer any ill effect from dirty oil.
However I do see a lot suffering from too little oil or oil contaminated with water or fuel.
Now I will not argue the case that no filter is just as good as having a filter but I will argue that changing the oil is far more important than the filter the oil flows through.
I see many identical engine fitted to almost identical mowers ( different brands from the same factory ) both with & without filters and am yet to see any attributal differences in the wear between the two.
I have a motorcycle that is 100 years old in a couple of years.
I ride it more hours per year than most mowers run, it has no filter and still on std bore and original bearings & bushes ( mind you some of them are a little past due for replacement ).
Most motorcycles of the 50's & 60's had next to no external filters, ran around 10:1 compression, did 6,000 to 10,000 rpm and ran quite fine, provided you change the oil.

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have a motorcycle that is 100 years old in a couple of years.
I ride it more hours per year than most mowers run, it has no filter and still on std bore and original bearings & bushes ( mind you some of them are a little past due for replacement ).
Most motorcycles of the 50's & 60's had next to no external filters, ran around 10:1 compression, did 6,000 to 10,000 rpm and ran quite fine, provided you change the oil.

Bert- Very Cool about your antique cycle, what brand or model is it ?

Harleys are my thing, I know you are not referring To Harleys of the 50's & 60's, that would be the Panheads & starting in 1966 the Shovelhead. They both ran much lower C/R & could never rev to over 6K.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
View attachment €  ’µJL MIE v1.pdf
That should give you a little hint
And like Indian, they once were the worlds largest manufacturer of Motorcycles over 100cc
I am not a big fan of :tractor: but the earlier ( real ) ones were a lot more to my taste.
I suppose no one will talk to me now:banned:

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
I doubt your good taste in motor cycles in going to cause any issues.

Lawn Addict
Threads
I agree with BlazNT. :thumbsup: But wasn't able to open yer attachment.