Export thread

Taller oil filter!!!

robbiecox6

robbiecox6

Is it safe to use a taller oil filter on a 22 hp B&S?,, short#492932S / long#491056

R

Rivets

You can use the larger filter, but it is over kill and you will need to use more oil. PS, get rid of that large font, we're not deaf.

wjjones

wjjones

You can use the larger filter, but it is over kill and you will need to use more oil. PS, get rid of that large font, we're not deaf.

Yep just stick with the standard filter.

T

Tyy

In Theory , larger filter more oil ! More Oil cooler oil temps and more filtration . So if you can afford larger filter buy it . I only use Wix , best filter manufacturer in the world. If wix does not offer one use oem . Yes Synthetic oil of proper grade is the way to Go !

M

mjb8fj

In Theory , larger filter more oil ! More Oil cooler oil temps and more filtration . So if you can afford larger filter buy it . I only use Wix , best filter manufacturer in the world. If wix does not offer one use oem . Yes Synthetic oil of proper grade is the way to Go !

good point! Somewhere in my tool box I have the Wix filter number that would work for you

T

Tyy

Thanks Mj but have Wix Catalouge for referencing all my filter needs from Diesels to Harleys lol . Even my John 2040 Deere Tractor runs Wix filtration ! P.S. In a pinch I have personally used Kravenator , over Oem .

turbofiat124

turbofiat124

I seem to recall having an issue with the shorter filter once. I think it was on a Kohler 14 hp engine. The threaded stem the filter screws onto was too long and the filter bottomed out. Not much, something like 1/4" to 1/8" of an inch.

That's been ages again. Did I dream this or is this even possible?

B

bertsmobile1

I think your memory is failing as the hole has nothing inside for the spiggot to bottom out on.
However a lot of automotive ones do have a plate just inside the hole so sounds like you were using a wrong filter.

D

driz

I'm going all through my daughters boyfriends LA 145 and dug till I found what fit. Oh it's not easy. Anyways there is clearance galore . Don't screw around with Autozone, Advance and that crew ( I did, waste of time) Go to NAPA get a NAPA GOLD 1516. Costs $7 and doubles your filtration media FYI it's a 3/4" 16 thread on a 3" OD filter.
I got 2 of em because it will even fit my Simplicity in spite of the tight clearance. Make sure you write that number down because NOBODY ANYWHERE can tell you what fits without digging through boxes (even NAPA couldn't cross reference it).

B

bertsmobile1

And the micron size of the media is ?
And the bypass pressure is ?
And the flow rate at the pressure of the mowers oil pump is ?

D

driz

And the micron size of the media is ?
And the bypass pressure is ?
And the flow rate at the pressure of the mowers oil pump is ?

http://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/PartDetails.aspx?Part=1863384

Here is the specs for the next best thing I could find on a cross reference. Nothing I would sweat there and no doubt it beats hell out of the stubby Fram that you can find much more easily. Good enough for me.

S

SeniorCitizen

http://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/PartDetails.aspx?Part=1863384

Here is the specs for the next best thing I could find on a cross reference. Nothing I would sweat there and no doubt it beats hell out of the stubby Fram that you can find much more easily. Good enough for me.

Thank You.

turbofiat124

turbofiat124

I think your memory is failing as the hole has nothing inside for the spiggot to bottom out on.
However a lot of automotive ones do have a plate just inside the hole so sounds like you were using a wrong filter.

I've been using these 2.14" high filters on both my 21HP Intek and my Dad's John Deere twin cylinder (26 HP ?) with no problems of bottoming out.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/361359114646?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I seem to think the Kohler 14HP engine that was on my Snapper had a longer stem and when I tried using the 2.14" filter the stem bottomed out against the top of the filter. Or felt like it.

I can't recall if the 2.14" filter is the "taller" one or the "shorter" one of the two.

So in other words I've got it in my mind you can use a filter from a Kohler engine on a Briggs but not necessarily a Briggs filter on a Kohler.

That's my recollection and I'm sticking too it!

B

bertsmobile1

The Briggs tall, medium & short, & the 3 Kohler filters are all the same specifications wise they are just different sizes to fit in different locations.
Ditto for Kawakasi & Honda filters although they do have a few different spigot thread sizes.

I am yet to see a mower engine suffer any ill effect from dirty oil.
However I do see a lot suffering from too little oil or oil contaminated with water or fuel.
Now I will not argue the case that no filter is just as good as having a filter but I will argue that changing the oil is far more important than the filter the oil flows through.
I see many identical engine fitted to almost identical mowers ( different brands from the same factory ) both with & without filters and am yet to see any attributal differences in the wear between the two.
I have a motorcycle that is 100 years old in a couple of years.
I ride it more hours per year than most mowers run, it has no filter and still on std bore and original bearings & bushes ( mind you some of them are a little past due for replacement ).
Most motorcycles of the 50's & 60's had next to no external filters, ran around 10:1 compression, did 6,000 to 10,000 rpm and ran quite fine, provided you change the oil.

I have a motorcycle that is 100 years old in a couple of years.
I ride it more hours per year than most mowers run, it has no filter and still on std bore and original bearings & bushes ( mind you some of them are a little past due for replacement ).
Most motorcycles of the 50's & 60's had next to no external filters, ran around 10:1 compression, did 6,000 to 10,000 rpm and ran quite fine, provided you change the oil.

Bert- Very Cool about your antique cycle, what brand or model is it ?

Harleys are my thing, I know you are not referring To Harleys of the 50's & 60's, that would be the Panheads & starting in 1966 the Shovelhead. They both ran much lower C/R & could never rev to over 6K.

B

bertsmobile1

View attachment €  ’µJL MIE v1.pdf
That should give you a little hint
And like Indian, they once were the worlds largest manufacturer of Motorcycles over 100cc
I am not a big fan of :tractor: but the earlier ( real ) ones were a lot more to my taste.
I suppose no one will talk to me now:banned:

BlazNT

BlazNT

I doubt your good taste in motor cycles in going to cause any issues.

I agree with BlazNT. :thumbsup: But wasn't able to open yer attachment.

B

bertsmobile1

Sorry, the file name is most likely illegal on a PC.
Try this one.
View attachment logo.pdf

Attachments

• €  ’MIE.pdf
    119.1 KB · Views: 5

B

bertsmobile1

Sorry, the file name is most likely illegal on a PC.
Try this one.
View attachment 30312

B

bertsmobile1

Sorry.
File name was illegal for PC's
Try this one

What would you expect from a convict colonial

Excellent. Why am I not surprised. :thumbsup:

My first street bike a a 1964 Triumph 500cc. I put it in a rigid frame & learned to lace wheels, so I could lace the Triumph hub to a fat Harley rim.

M

mrstan

WHAT LARGER FONTS?

LOL.. just messing with you! :)

Dang it! I could not get it to blink on and off... LOL:confused2: