Talking about the important stuff-transmissions

robert

Threads
jenkinsph, As I stated the fit and finish of the JD is superb but throughout the 300 select series the JD drive is vastly inferior to the Hydro Gear BDU.

However I am curious as to why you consider the Kanzaki K58 sealed drive which contains approximately 2/3 LESS hydro fluid and which has a very low weight on axle rating to be superior to the BDU-could you give some specifics? Aside from the fact that the 58 has an ALUMINUM case and ALUMINUM gears.

jenkinsph

Threads
Robert,
Both the Deere 320 model and the Cub 2000 have drive systems that are good enough. Both can cut the grass at a similar speed. Both are what I consider a good basic riding mower, the Cub may be at a slightly better price point. Hard to tell about price for sure without sitting across the desk at the dealers looking at hard numbers.

If and when I buy a new mower for my lawn at home I will consider a lawn tractor similar to the x320 Deere and/or the Cub Cadet 2000 GT. I will also look at zero turn models too since these are becoming popular with most people and I have other tractors to deal with lawn maintenance jobs. At any rate any of these will work to mow my own lawn of 2+ acres. I may spend more money and get a better quality mower if I decide to cut commercially but doubt it because I don't see me being in the lawn cutting business (not enough profit for me).

I have already posted numerous times why I chose the x749 for my commercial work in detail. It is the best fit for my purposes and so far I have been well satisfied with it.

I am curious what things you plan to do with your Cub Cadet besides mowing? You are very concerned with "factory authorized" attachments and I don't see where Cub offers anything besides a mower deck for your model. That is why I think you have a lawn tractor not a garden tractor.

Now other than responding to your other thread one last time I will say that I am done here. I really don't have time to argue over lawn mowers, everyone should buy what they want and hopefully be happy with their choice.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
john-deere-x304-cc.jpg

Best lawn tractor overall

Pros

• Excellent performance
  • Maneuverability and comfort
  • Sturdy build, engine reliability
  • Four-year warranty

Cons

• Expensive
  • Not CARB-certified
  • Mixed reviews for customer service

Where to Buy

The 42-inch John Deere X304 lawn tractor has better build quality than the entry-level John Deere LA series, and it is rated for mowing a larger area. Reviews praise the four-wheel steering and 15-inch turning radius, which make it easy to mow around trees and other obstacles. The X304 also wins praise for overall comfort, cruise control and many other conveniences. The warranty is for four years or 300 hours, whichever comes first. Side-discharging clippings is the standard mode; switching to mulching or bagging requires extra options plus a blade change. If you don't need four-wheel steering for mowing around obstacles, and are willing to settle for slightly less performance in bagging mode, consider the less expensive 46-inch Snapper NXT2346 (*Est. $2,600), which features a smaller 14-inch turning radius plus conveniences that make it easier to use.
We found three excellent comparison reviews of the John Deere X304. At ConsumerReports.org, it's tested, rated and ranked in comparison with 34 other lawn tractors, all but one of which are priced much lower. At the German publication Family Home and Garden, it's tested along with seven more comparable lawn tractors over a longer period of use. At The Telegraph, a U.K. newspaper, it's one of five lawn tractors chosen for testing that meet strict European Union emissions limits. There are useful comments from owners at GardenWeb.com and ConsumerAffairs.com, and ConsumerReports.org now also publishes ratings and reviews from owners. You can view some videos of the John Deere X300 series of tractors at YouTube.

robert

Threads
Ric, the Deere 300 line really is a fine product as far as an entry level consumer grade machine goes but if someone is interested in much more robust transmissions at a much more attractive price point then the Cub GT2000 crossover with the massive heavy duty BDU drive is the brand to go with.

Why would anyone spend money on a machine with a 'good enough' drive -tnks jenkinsph- when you could go with the Cub GT2000, at less money, and get a real good BDU transmission?

So once again I have provided proof positive that the Cub GT2000 crossover tractor bests by far, the John Deere X300 series in the drive used. Deere selected a completely sealed K58 with about two qts of fluid: Cub Cadet chose to offer their customers a massive BDU drive with spin on filter, cast iron case, cooling fan and about 300% more fluid than the Kanzaki K58 toy drive.

Next up the very pricey X500 select.......does alot more cash mean the green owner gets alot more transmission? stay tuned-more facts coming your way.

robert

Threads
Forgot to add this very significant piece of info;

The K58 drive has a weight limit of approx 697 on the axles, the X360 mower and deck DRY weighs in at 681lbs so for some here:

697 minus 681 = 16 lbs left for gas, operator and attached accessories and accessory/load hitch weight

All for only about $1,600 MORE than the Cub GT 2000

Enough said?

Chev

Threads
Are you implying that the entire weight of that tractor is on the rear wheels?

Once again, poor logic dominates your judgement.

robert

Threads
Fair enough but read on-by the way I was in error, the rated capacity of the K58 is 329lbs.
Four gallons of fuel is about 24lbs, shall we say the operator is 200lbs?, total of 224lbs.

So even at a 50/50 split : tractor weight 681 / 2 is 340, operator-200lbs?, now 540lbs, fuel is over the rear, another 30 lbs, 570, so while the number is better its still bad; from 16lbs all the way up to
59 lbs, :eek:

Another 4 stone for only $1,600-those are some expensive rocks.

Can you see why the k58 is so popular for the upgraders :laughing:

Are you seriously going to say that the K58 doesn't blow big time??

And by the way chev, the weight rating usually is static, think of that all you 58'ers every time you hit a bump.....

jenkinsph

Threads
Since Robert can't seem to tell the truth, I will add some specs for the TuffTorq K58 and the Hydro Gear BDU10S.

http://tufftorq.com/images/TTC-L&G-K58.pdf

http://www.hydro-gear.com/Sales-Flyers/BDU BLN-0061.pdf

If you look at the Hydrogear drive it is rated for a continuous load at 85 in lbs/1000psi. Problem is the continuous rated pressure is only 850 psi so this equates to 72.25 inch lbs or about 6 ft lbs. At the peak intermittent pressure it will produce 178,5 inch lbs or almost 15 ft lbs.

When you consider input speeds are similar and mph of the two mowers is almost identical the reduction ratios in the transaxles should be similar too. I used the ratio of the K58 to come up with comparable torque to the rear wheels in ft lbs to the CC GT2000 since I couldn't find any hard data specs from Cub Cadet. This would bring us to an axle ratio of about 31.4 approximately, and inserting the 6 ft lbs continuous rating multiplying the two 31.4x6= 188.4 ft lbs of torque to the rear wheels. The intermittent rating would be 467 ft lbs peak torque.
So Tuff Torq rates the K58 at 217 ft lbs of torque and the BDP10S has a continuous rating of 188 ft lbs of torque. So, once again Tuff Torq wins. Just kidding my smilies aren't working right.

Now I know Robert is super proud of his transmision and I also think it is a good unit but when you consider that both use 1" axle stubs that are fairly short how much load do you want to put on them. Last important point I would bring up is I couldn't find any information on the Cub Cadet axle assembly, I would have preferred to have this to add to the facts.

Facts, data, something Robert hasn't laid out yet

In closing both are good enough to mow the lawn and the Deere is also capable of adding snowblower, front blade, bucket, hydraulic deck lift and hydraulic power steering.

Last edited:

jenkinsph

Threads
Fair enough but read on-by the way I was in error, the rated capacity of the K58 is 329lbs.
Four gallons of fuel is about 24lbs, shall we say the operator is 200lbs?, total of 224lbs.

So even at a 50/50 split : tractor weight 681 / 2 is 340, operator-200lbs?, now 540lbs, fuel is over the rear, another 30 lbs, 570, so while the number is better its still bad; from 16lbs all the way up to
59 lbs, :eek:

Another 4 stone for only $1,600-those are some expensive rocks.

Can you see why the k58 is so popular for the upgraders :laughing:

Are you seriously going to say that the K58 doesn't blow big time??

And by the way chev, the weight rating usually is static, think of that all you 58'ers every time you hit a bump.....

Thought I would quote you before you changed your tune.